Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The one thing that this event keeps driving home for me is that I REALLY need to get some medical training, specifically training dealing with penetrating wounds (e.g. gunshots, stabbings, etc). Carrying a small medical kit on me at all times would be super useful.

THIS. Get trained, the life you save could be your own. Or your kid's.

I'll urge caution about taking any early accounts as gospel. In the rush to be first, it's easy to run with rumors and then, when the rumors are proven false, claim that there is a cover-up.

This is how we end up with semi-intelligent people listening to claims that Sandy Hook never happened.

As for the "machine gun" vs. "semi auto" thing....there's common parlance, then there are legal definitions. When we're talking about some sort of "assist" that allows near full-auto rates of fire, I'll forgive a non-enthusiast for calling it "machine gun" fire.

Really digging WIBCs coverage. They are taking a "No BS, no speculation" angle. If its not confirmed they arent discussing it.

Does someone have to tell people what to do ALL the time instead of expecting them to make decisions for themselves?

• Put your phone down and start thinking and being situationally aware, especially if you hear gunfire.
    • If you hear gunshots start making some decisions to protect your life and those you love.
      • Run
      • Hide
      • Fight
      • Wait for an announcement
    • Know the difference between concealment and cover.
    • Don't wear flip flops [STRIKE]when attending events with large crowds.[/STRIKE]unless you are at the pool/beach.
    • Strip off your shirt and apply pressure to bleeding wounds (some concert goers took action and did that).

FIFY

I've considered this, but seriously doubt I'd carry even a small medical kit to a concert. I think a better solution is to get some tactical trauma training and start thinking of ways to improvise the tools you'd need in such a situation. Even if you carried a tourniquet you're only going to treat one wound on yourself or another. I think software is key in these situations.

If I drove one of my vehicles, I have a blowout kit nearby with multiple basic combat TQs and other required supplies. If I am carrying my Versapack because I need water, snacks, etc, I have gloves and quickclot inside.

It definitely doesn't sound like an M16 (I have enough trigger time on one that I'm pretty sure about this). The rate of fire is too slow, so even if it was a homemade conversion on an AR-15, I don't think it would sound like that. The slower rater of fire sounds a lot more like an eastern block weapon or some of slower firing belt fed .30 cal guns out there (like an M60 or an MG08 maybe... which I would be immensely astounded to find this shooter was using).

So, I agree with you. I'm betting on an AK variant of some sort with a bump fire system.

It sounded too consistent to be anything but mechanical auto. Every bumpfire or crank Ive witnessed dont stay that cadenced. they are typically only good for a few rounds at a time, not an entire mag. And watching a crank used, unless he had some kind of support position he likely couldnt have stayed on target.

Not all [STRIKE]heroes wear capes.[/STRIKE] dudes were sober.

DLJALfUUEAEjWvz.jpg:small
    FIFY

I knew it would be coming soon. Bye bye, SHARE Act.

Any anything else related to guns. (except to ban them)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Listening to a couple of youtube videos, the first burst of fire sounded like an M60 to me...but my experience was many years ago.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Listening to a couple of youtube videos, the first burst of fire sounded like an M60 to me...but my experience was many years ago.

Although my experience, like yours, is dated, M60 was also my first impression.

I've heard that from 2 other people today who have a far mount of trigger time behind one.

It would be odd that someone with the financial means to own one legally would be this kind of crazy.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    The move higher in gun stocks is due to the perception that there is bigger potential for tighter gun controls, as well as a belief that gun buying will pick up as Americans look to better protect themselves, says Gary Kaltbaum, president of investment firm Kaltbaum Capital Management.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Although my experience, like yours, is dated, M60 was also my first impression.

My M60 experience is also dated...but that didn't sound like a M60 to me. Granted, I'm more used to hearing them from behind them or next to them. Similar rate of fire, actually almost seemed a little faster initially, but something just didn't have the M60 quality to me.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The angle of fire was near perfect.
    Think of a water hose at an angle the bullets come in at about 3 meters hit the surface most take an upwards track deformed and tumbling. So even a miss has a second chance to be a hit.
    Safest route to safety would to have run toward direction of the fire to get under the angle of fire.

Some tips for lifesaving
    Use casualties belt, shoelaces, for a makeshift tourniquet apply in emergency even if in doubt better to lose arm or leg than die.
    Seal sucking chest wound with whatever plastic you can find if no tape is available use your hand and do your best.
    Some people subcome to shock quickly and will die even with minor wounds.
    People will bleed out faster than you think you have to stop the bleeding.
    Some gunshot wounds will have little bleeding watch for swelling in the abdomen, deep purple skin, shortness of breath. All signs of internal bleeding not much you can do. Have to get them to a DR,PA, Senior Medic then you do not wanna see what happens next.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Person I went to college with on the Facebook:

I am all for the right to bare arms, but this mass-shooting nonsense has got to stop! I’m finally at the breaking point where I don’t believe that assault rifles should be able to be purchased by your ordinary US Citizen. I know guns don’t kill people, people kill people, and up until now I agreed with that phrase wholeheartedly. There is no reason anyone besides military personnel should have access to assault rifles (no, not even you hunters!). This man was another white male who obtained a gun and used it to shoot innocent civilians. Change must be made. It won’t be easy, not everyone will be happy, but change MUST be made...

I'm not going to engage. Not the time or the place. Facebook "discussions" (read: arguments) never end well, and only further divide.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My M60 experience is also dated...but that didn't sound like a M60 to me. Granted, I'm more used to hearing them from behind them or next to them. Similar rate of fire, actually almost seemed a little faster initially, but something just didn't have the M60 quality to me.

I agree. Also, since his intention was obviously to create the most casualties possible if he had something belt fed there would have been no gaps in the gunfire at all.

Top Bottom