repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Awesome write up. And you are right, I wish I was there, cause it does warm my heart to see so many young shooters enjoy the sport that I love so much as well.

Thanks everyone for the photos posted. Glad to see my 2 rifles (SCAR and an AR15) both had a great time. I know everyone usually loves to shoot them, and I can see this time was no exception.

Maybe for next year, they can have a briefing/greeting area, where they can get the safety rules, learn about the range and what is where, fill the forms, and then be able to hit the locations. Just a thought anyway. Sounds like it still ran great.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I have a few ideas and suggestions as well, but right now I'm sitting at the hospital while Michelle (LadyGhost) goes through her torture session A.K.A. physical therapy. LOL. I think that overall for the very first time it went VERY well. Do I see room for improvement? Yep sure do.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I actually had Adrienne covering how to use the different sights and everything so it worked well at my station. If I have the same station again at the next one we should see about printing up a poster of two of the different sight pictures and things would run really smooth. Also maybe hanging a tarp between the stations (at least on mine) so the brass from the AK doesn't hit the other shooters at other positions.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I actually had Adrienne covering how to use the different sights and everything so it worked well at my station. If I have the same station again at the next one we should see about printing up a poster of two of the different sight pictures and things would run really smooth. Also maybe hanging a tarp between the stations (at least on mine) so the brass from the AK doesn't hit the other shooters at other positions.

Or just put you on the right end

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    @instructors

anything you want to see different for next year (if we do this again)
    was dnr's guns up for the task?
    steel hold up ok?
    perhaps see about using balloons, clays on the 25 with the paper?

Just an idea, less kids, more hot moms. It had to be said.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As for sight alignment, I was running late. I didn't make up my props.
    What I usually do for scouts is, cut up a paper plate into the shape of the sights. Different plates for different sights, front and back. Tape them to dowel rods.

Then you pick up the appropriate front sight plate and rear sight plate, line them up on a target so everyone can see.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    True, problem is at the 50 that would be the first station that you would come to. I think that the logical progression would be to have them shooting the .22 rifles first.

^This

I like the tarp idea better just so we can isolate you even more. ;)
    Do you have a final round count BTW?

Just an idea, less kids, more hot moms. It had to be said.

:faint:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't. By putting up a tarp you are isolating them from the RO's field of vision as well as the other instructors, and I feel that this is potentially unsafe.

Hum.. Then putting him on the far right and having the "entrace" be on the far left would be better.

See Joe always casuing trouble. :)

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Ok...home from the torture agent (A.K.A. the physical therapy for LadyGhost)

Here are my thoughts on what we can do to improve:

I agree that we need to do the safety briefing en mass to speed things up at the firing line. I know we at the 25 yard line did this for the groups that came to our line. It seemed to make things smoother when it came to the actual firing.

I also think we need to move the times to a bit later start time. It seemed that things were slow to start, but a mad rush towards the end.

With this in mind I think we need to have a bit more structure on terms of session times I.E. first session from 10-10:30, etc etc. or whatever time blocks we decide. This will allow us to better structure the sessions for each group. I also think we need to try and keep the number of people in each group the same to give everyone equal time on the guns. At the 25 yard range we only had 3 stations so it seemed like we were trying to cram too many folks in at each station, thus robbing them of shooting time.

I think the idea of reactive targets is a good one. Balloons, lollipops, playing cards are all things that they can SEE when they hit, or can serve as momentos of the shoot.

I think the water being brought to the areas was a good idea, but was kinda late on the uptake. We need to be a bit more on the ball there.

I think we need to find a way to make the RO's stand out better. Perhaps neon green vest would work for this. SOMETHING visual would help when or IF we ever need to find an RO in a hurry.

After talking with LadyGhost I will post up her thoughts and observations, but the one thing that she mentioned to me was the fact that we had some upset shooters that were mad at us for 'taking over THEIR range'. Maybe have a DNR person stay at the locked gate to field the complaints and help guide folks to the parking area for the shoot would have helped with this issue (not likely to be honest, but it limits our exposure...)

I'm sure the folks at the other areas will give their ideas and thoughts on how to improve things and make it even better next time.

On the plus side, it seems that everyone that attended enjoyed themselves and had a fun and SAFE time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm also mad at myself for not teaching the "if you see a gun somewhere, leave it and get a responsible adult" routine. The "Eddie Eagle" approach.

Don't want some kid thinking he/she is an expert because they received a few minutes instructions and shooting.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Hum.. Then putting him on the far right and having the "entrace" be on the far left would be better.

See Joe always casuing trouble. :)

Not trying to be a party pooper, just looking at it from an RO's perspective. I liked the idea that I could stand behind the tape and see all the stations by just turning my head and looking. On the 50 they may need additional RO's to make it easier. I think 3 stations is about the max number you should put under one R.O.

JayBone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Lake County
    JayBone, it was a pleasure meeting you and your family. Are you putting the Henry on that list too? :D I just smiled every time your son would say "Chris, can I shoot the Henry again".

Yes the Henry is on the list. The problem is the list is so long. Chrisy wants another AR, but she really needs a handgun next. Dylan wants them all, but we are thinking 22 pistol.

Jason

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As to GOW's idea on identifying vest. I have a yellow reflective vest I used to use to walk Zeus at night. Over the next year I could buy more. There are different colors. W e could have a color for instructor, ROs, and anything else.
    On the other hand, that may be too hot.
    Maybe armbands
    Maybe tee shirts

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    After talking with LadyGhost I will post up her thoughts and observations, but the one thing that she mentioned to me was the fact that we had some upset shooters that were mad at us for 'taking over THEIR range'. Maybe have a DNR person stay at the locked gate to field the complaints and help guide folks to the parking area for the shoot would have helped with this issue (not likely to be honest, but it limits our exposure...)

DNR WINAMAC did have signs posted at the sign-in booth for the past 2 months advising of the range closure for the event. In addition it was posted on the main DNR website **AND** the RO for the past 4 weeks has been telling the public about the range closure/event.

I did have to explain it to 2 to 3 cars that came by and wanted to know what was going on. I had GB direct them to JP. Wish I had a map from WINAMAC to JP for them but alas for next year.

DNR was spread pertty thin themseleves for this event. The wife's of the DNR guys were doing the registration. The local 4-H chapter was helping them with the crossbows as well.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    We need more visible "INGO" identifiers....Shirts, vests, whatever. If I was a parent walking around I would have thought the event was sponsored by the DNR and the 4H club, especially with the stuff the 4H club had up by the archery.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom