• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I knew it would eventually nail me, and today is that day. I accepted a check at the 1500 a few weeks ago because I like to trust people. Now we find out the account the check was written on is a closed account, I call the phone number on the check, and its not accepting calls, and I called every number google could find on this guy and got nothing. If this was just a mistake I would feel but this that's not the case.

I appligise to all future customers, but we all knew (myself included) someone would eventually screw it up for everyone.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    This is why we can't have nice things.....local gas station has gone to pre-pay due to recent theft. I know the owners and the employees, and it's just sad.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Sorry to hear this, I used to do collections.. bad checks were my rice bowl too.
    Of course I was the guy who went to get the dough, not the tracker.

Sucks since now it will mean me having to meet up with you and it isn't a short drive for me.

It isn't something I can do in the near future anyway, stupid car. :xmad:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Turn it over to the County Prosecutor. We have been successful tracking down and resolving check deception issues that way.

Seconded. People who knowingly pass bad checks deserve the full punishment and Indiana has some pretty stiff penalties, AND you might be able to get damages.

Also, keep all of that transaction information, you can write down the loss on your taxes.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Sorry about that. Let me get another one in the mail to you today.

Too soon?

Hopefully it was for a Crossfire, not a Razor and you can get him tracked down. Gotta hate a thief.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i once wrote a check from the wrong account once to my LGS, that didn't have enough to cover it. my fault, but a $750 gun was a total grand in fees after all said and done. LGS hit me for a bad check, bank hit me three times trying to process it, etc. when i realized my mistake i immediately called the LGS and settled it via card over the phone, but it didn't stop the banks. cash only now.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Alan,

This sort of thing sucks but I think anybody running a business has probably faced this or something similar - if they haven't - it's only a matter of time if they take checks.

You can write this off as a loss on your taxes - which will help as others have said. You may check with your insurance agent too as a provision of one of your policies may cover you under one of their provisions. Insurance policies more often than not cover more miscellaneous things than you know.

Hopefully things work out for the best.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i once wrote a check from the wrong account once to my LGS, that didn't have enough to cover it. my fault, but a $750 gun was a total grand in fees after all said and done. LGS hit me for a bad check, bank hit me three times trying to process it, etc. when i realized my mistake i immediately called the LGS and settled it via card over the phone, but it didn't stop the banks. cash only now.

This guy wrote a check out of a account that has been closed for quite awhile, and gave me a phone number that doesn't accept calls. When I got the notification I really didnt think it would be a big deal. I figured I would call the guy, and he would apologize, and make it right. When I got the recording on his phone I started to get the feeling this was not a honest mistake. When I started tracking the guy down I realized this was intentional.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Alan,

This sort of thing sucks but I think anybody running a business has probably faced this or something similar - if they haven't - it's only a matter of time if they take checks.

You can write this off as a loss on your taxes - which will help as others have said. You may check with your insurance agent too as a provision of one of your policies may cover you under one of their provisions. Insurance policies more often than not cover more miscellaneous things than you know.

Hopefully things work out for the best.

I checked the insurance, but There is a 500 dollar deductible, and my rates would go up.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    That really sucks Vette - anybody that intentionally does another person wrong is a serious POS - hope hes found soon - good luck in resolving this issue -

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    You could accept checks, but not ship until check clears. I know that one of my utility companies run my check electronically. Don't know what is involved in that, but maybe worth a look into.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That sucks, I am sorry you got hit. I hope your customer makes good.

I am a little leery of using checks for payment. A few years ago I ordered a new set of checks for an existing account. I was rolling over a rental unit between tenants so I bought carpet and misc construction supplies, etc with those checks. When I got my statement back next month my account showed that the checks were refused payment because of an error in the account number printed on the check (one zero too many or too little don't remember now). I had ordered the checks through my bank and they had turned around and refused them. I was hot. Very angry. First I went to the bank and drew out cash and a letter from the bank explaining the situation. Next I went to the retailers and presented the letter, the cash and my profound apologies. The bank paid for the penalties and did what they could to fix it, but I still left the retailers holding the bag for a month. That whole experience left me a bit bitter about using checks.

Really, sorry you got hit by someone stealing from you. I really hope, for his sake, that it was some unlikely honest mistake and he makes it right pronto.

Really, Alan, you seem like a good dude and I hate to see someone steal from you.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    if you want to give me info i might be able to help. i have resources I use to do background checks on prospective employees. nothing illegitimate, just web services i routinely employ to get a feel on applicants.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Darn, I was gonna buy a scope with a check I just received. From an Abdul Smith on the Bank of Nairobi, Kenya. I'm sure it's good, he seemed like an honest guy:):

Top Bottom