• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Another vote for "camera". If you can strategically place a cheapo web camera, go for it.
    If not, spend a little more and get a trail cam for around $50 ish.
    Plus, you can use it afterward. Even the low end ones have really good resolution and at least 3 megapixels... you'd definitely get a clear enough face frame to identify.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Only trying to help here and through similar family experience, have you thought about having your mom put a protective order against him. If he has to sign legal documents stating he will be arrested if he comes on her property, then he might stop. Its not easy when its family but he is the one choosing this route and you are right in your actions. This way may give you the option to put him in jail and give you time to figure out the best of all options. :twocents:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Also, what kind of piece of s@#% terrorizes his own mother?

There are some sorry people out there. Good luck Jags.

Just food for thought: can you discretely stake out the house from the outside? Especially where you can see the windows and door he's breaking into? If so, that would allow you to remain out of any physical contact, photograph the perp, and/or let the police do their job.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    More than one person has mentioned tying people up. I think anyone should be careful about that sort of thing. I imagine there could be considerable legal problems with tying people up.

He's be better off just killing him with a sledge hammer to the head and burying his nasty little body in the crawl space. No one is going to miss a zero like this guy. Just do it, and be quiet about it.

I KID!!!

Last edited:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I am not "seeking" trouble I am seeking to end a problem that is costing my mother an arm and a leg in repairs and unknown stress. That being siad this has been happening to her for one month now, so the police are lacking on thier end.

If she's paying all that money anyway, why not pay for a security system???

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Another vote for cameras. Set up a controlled area for the hidden cam(well lit) with some bait right out in front of it(5.00 bill).....Sure hope it doesn't turn out to be your brother. If it is, go to his place and kick his ass the old fashioned way. If he does it again turn him in to the Local PD.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Sit and wait, if it is your brother then give him the ass kickin of his lifetime, if not then Dial 911 and hold your own till the police arrive. Setting up a camera is ok, but the police had her chance to investigate and failed miserably, they probably wouldn't do anything with the surveillance footage anyways, even of they did it would probably be a slap on the wrist like most criminals gre these days.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    You can even use your cellphone. Wait till you hear noises and nost record the entry. Make sure you ha e enough space andcan record that long. Buy a camera and return it. Borrow a deer cam. Anything to legally protect yourself.

Also, even if its a low life peice of ***** human being, its still your brother. You will never forgive yourself of you killed him. Pepper spray /tazer and some heavy duty zipties are your best bet. If you guys have to sacrifice 300$ for your safety, its worth it! Be safe and let us know what happens.

Remember, he is your brother, but its also your mother and your family. If deadly force is.needed, don't hesitate because he is your brother.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN

I was asking myself this the whole time.

Also if he is the most likely suspect the cops should already be questioning him. I know you said you don't know where he lives but if he has this bad of a criminal history at 20 I am betting he is on probation or even parole. If so his PO better have an address for him and if not he is breaking his probation.

Has your mom really told the cops she thinks it is him, I can only imagine how hard it would be to turn in her own son. My family had a very similar situation and my uncle new it was a cousin but later we found out he never wanted to tell the cops who it was. That is until insurance went to have my uncle arrested for insurance fraud.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    An alarm and cameras that upload via cell phone signal is the best option.

I'd bet dollars to doughnut holes your mom won't cooperate with prosecution if its her son taking her stuff. A buddy I used to work with now does private fraud/identify theft investigations for the elderly in FL. Per him, adult kids were often the culprit. Almost never did mom want the findings sent to law enforcement. Dads were a bit more likely to, but still rare.

Final thing, its not fun knowing you took someone's life. Even if they deserved it. I think it'd be a rare person who could kill his brother. If you kill him or he kills you, it'll tear the family apart.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I read the Indiana code, and it doesn't really make sense to me in rather it would be a crime to protect myself on someone else's property. I do not want to kill my brother thats for sure, (we are not 100% sure it is him) but like I said I can't let this happen to my mom. She tried cameras once he found them and then tore the house apart looking for the DVR they were recording to.

The law does not exclude you from using reasonable force in a third party's property. It allows you to use reasonable force where ever you are allowed to carry whatever you arm yourself with. If you do not have a LTCH, and your mother permits you to have the firearm on her property and carry as it is yours, you may use reasonable force. Just check on your mother's property this week through the week. Do not get yourself into a predicament that could cost you your freedom, but most of all stay safe.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010

OP, this could be a good solution in your (and your mom's) situation. Of course, make sure it's a monitored security system, and have your name added to the alarm company's call-list. The thief sets off a door contact, glass-break sensor or interior motion; the monitoring station contacts you; you give authorization for them to dispatch the police. And then the police do the job that they're trained to do, leaving you out of a place that you really don't want to be anyway.

An advantage is that your mom is then left with a security system which will be of use and peace-of-mind every single day she leaves the house, and every evening she's home, as well. Also, her home owner's insurance company should offer approximately a 5-10% discount for a monitored security system. I believe it's money well spent; especially in this situation.

And the previous suggestion of a restraining order sounds wise, as well.

Good luck and be safe!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We sure have become a nation of pretty boys when half the posts recommend letting the bad guy continue to tyrannize an old lady because it would be too much of a hassle to do anything else.

So, my vote for the effete solution of the weak is a monitored security system and/or better cameras.

What doesn't make sense is why the mom is letting it happen. Or why LE hasn't stepped up a bit more. I think there are missing details.

Top Bottom