A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Here was my old G19/Raven.

xarpg1.jpg

ra40vm.jpg

Not too shabby! Thanks

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But what if a new hot polymer pistol comes along turning all the cool guys' heads.

Does that mean you're still running a Peacemaker there Kirk? :D

Will the Smith just be yet another flavor of the month?:D

Considering that it took me over 2 years to make up my mind in switching from Glock to M&P, I doubt it. I had to be sure that it was better for me.

I have 2 guns total in my "collection". I can't afford a 'flavor of the month'. :laugh:

You might've had me confused with Que. :lmfao:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have 2 guns total in my "collection". I can't afford a 'flavor of the month'.

I'll be honest with you. I have been seriously thinking about doing this same thing. Selling most of my small collection and using the money to do a better AR or even an AK, build. And just having 2 "combat" ready guns.

I really don't know.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'll be honest with you. I have been seriously thinking about doing this same thing. Selling most of my small collection and using the money to do a better AR or even an AK, build. And just having 2 "combat" ready guns.

I really don't know.

Funny you mention this, I'll be down to one AR and one handgun myself soon. Question is, will it be a Gen4 G19 or an M&P... hmm....

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I went to a friend's house a couple of weeks ago. Now, I'm a big XD fan. I love my .40. But he had a Glock 23 (I think) which he asked me to shoot and which I couldn't politely turn down. So I did. Funny thing is that I was more on target with the Glock than my XD. The Glock seemed to have less recoil to it and it was .40 too and was a lighter in weight. On top of this, I was able to put a round right in the middle of the bullseye which I hadn't been able to do up to that point with my XD. I was surprised! Not rushing off to buy a Glock though. I still like the 2 safeties on the XD and I'm far too much of a rebel to join the mob.;)
    But I will say that I was very surprised by the sights, how comfortably it shot and how accurate it was in my hand. And that's the best you're going to get from a hardened XD fan! :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a Gen3 Glock 19 and 26. Marlin 22 magnum bolt action, Savage 22lr, Mossberg 20 gauge, Rem 870 12 gauge. And a bunch of accessories for each.

I sold my first and only AR for a bicycle. For fitness.

I just keep thinking of selling the guns and accessories, keeping 1 carry gun, and use the money for an AR or AK build. And only have 2 guns in my collection, like esrice.

The problem is 2 of the guns has sentimental value.

I dunno what I want to do yet..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll be honest with you. I have been seriously thinking about doing this same thing.

Here's the thing-- I don't have tons of disposable income, so I had to make a choice. Either I was going to buy several different guns as time went on and finances allowed, or I was going to keep the bare minimum and then spend what little money I did have on making them (and me) as effective as possible.

If I had more money I'd gladly buy more "fun guns" and buy whatever piqued my interest. There's nothing wrong with that. In my case, I get to use lovemywoods' collection to satisfy those "wants".

So with those two things in mind, I roll with only 2 guns, and I train with those two guns whenever possible. YMMV

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm in the same boat. I have a very limited income. And I sold items to get the firearms I have now. I'm all outta items to sell to buy anymore firearms.

And I'd rather be a shooter than a collector anyway.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I traded off my "collector" guns awhile back, I still have more than a couple but I shoot them all. Could I go on living if I only had a pistol and rifle, yes. But I think I will just keep on with what I have and use my little bit of fun money monthly for ammo. I don't branch out much anymore, I know what I shoot well and I carry them. Glocks and a J frame. The rest I shoot as time permits and enjoy. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a Gen3 Glock 19 and 26. Marlin 22 magnum bolt action, Savage 22lr, Mossberg 20 gauge, Rem 870 12 gauge. And a bunch of accessories for each.

I sold my first and only AR for a bicycle. For fitness.

I just keep thinking of selling the guns and accessories, keeping 1 carry gun, and use the money for an AR or AK build. And only have 2 guns in my collection, like esrice.

The problem is 2 of the guns has sentimental value.

I dunno what I want to do yet..

If your Gen 3 19 runs properly (i.e. no brass to the face, etc), I'd keep that one for sure. With the issues that seem to currently be seen with newer Gen 3, 19's I would not get rid of one that works.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    And while I have an M&P 45 and my wife has an M&P 9mm I won't be jumping from Glock. :) I shoot them well and like them, and the M&P's do great but I still love the feel of a 9mm Glock in my hand. Nothing has changed that over the years. We're fortunate in life to have a choice. :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE:

Last weekend I ran my M&P9 at a 2-day Suarez International Low Light Gunfighting course. I used 5 factory magazines loaded with 115gr. hollowpoints. Total round count was ~300. The gun ran very well and I experienced no malfunctions.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...low_light_gunfighting_10_19_20_2012_pics.html

Support gear included:

The course included a lot of single-hand shooting and it reinforced my decision to switch from the blocky grip of the Glock to the slimmer profile of the M&P. My small hands were better able to maintain a consistent grip when firing one-handed.

I'm still a big fan of Glocks but glad that I made the switch to better fit my needs.

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Glad to hear the M&P ran great, I'm not surprised though. I still love my G19 but I do shoot the wifes M&P9 on occasion and it is a fine pistol. The biggest plus to me is the lack of finger groves, which I also love about my Sig P226. :)

Top Bottom