:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    OC vs CC

I OC'd a glock 17 on a thigh rig, tan pants with the black rig last Saturday. Went to the gas station, Kroger and CVS and an ice cream shop.

No one gave a second look.
    What kind of ice cream did you get?

(I knew I should'nt have clicked on this thread but I did)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've only read the title, and first couple sentences of the OP. That in and of itself is enough for me to say from a professional, ethical, and a Vet standpoint to say :ugh:

Will read the entirety of the thread when I have more time. For now, as someone who defended the freedom of the people of this country (or at least was willing to do so)..how can you honestly feel that it's apprpriate tell others what's right for them?!? Perhaps, joined the military of the wrong country.... :):

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Military does not automatically = combat. If you don't train for it, it is unlikely that you will overcome the natural urge to be a curl up into the fetal position and poop your pant's when bullets start flying at you.
    YES, THIS is true, I am living proof.... 26 years, of service, and NEVER went to combat..... I thank GOD, EVERYDAY...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I to am more interested in what kind of ice cream he got than another OC is bad because someone told me it was thread!
    Since i've already had my fill and then some of the whole OC/CC thing I would rather talk about ice cream.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    The only thing I haven't heard in this argument before is the "self defense isn't combat" line. Lol unarmed self defense = melee combat. Gunfight; fighting with a gun= armed combat. Ooh god, why do I even read anymore? Its the same old shtick every stinking time i come on here.

Welcome to INGO, new guy.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Don't lump all us combat vets in with you. I know most military training is ineffective. We train for combat, either force on force, or street to street. Im hoping that on the Main Streets of America, that you dont feel the need to carry your M4, with your combat load everywhere on you.

I think the only reason people do not carry rifles is because they are not comfortable. I would rather have a rifle over a handgun any day of the week :D

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Personally, I think someone that wants to carry should do what the U.S. military teaches it's operators to do when in plain clothes: Carry concealed

Perhaps you should let all the plain clothes officers & detectives know what they're doing wrong then...when they are open carrying without a uniform. They have been doing it for years...I saw one yesterday, as I recall he was not in eminent danger simply because he was OC.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I think the only reason people do not carry rifles is because they are not comfortable. I would rather have a rifle over a handgun any day of the week :D

Well, mostly its convenience, weight, and comfort. But, correct me if I am wrong, but couldnt you legally carry a rifle anyway? IF someone wanted to? I know its been a thread topic on here, but I hadnt read through all of it. But, people go with the threat chance vs weight/comfort argument. Everyone does, thats why most everyone carries the pistol. Granted, it would be pretty nice to see everyone walking around with M4s and SCARs and AKs everywhere. An Armed Society is a polite society. But, the weight wouldnt be worth the effort for about 99% of the people that carry. Which makes sense.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The only thing I haven't heard in this argument before is the "self defense isn't combat" line. Lol unarmed self defense = melee combat. Gunfight; fighting with a gun= armed combat. Ooh god, why do I even read anymore? Its the same old shtick every stinking time i come on here.

Welcome to INGO, new guy.

So please tell me Vic how military combat, hunting down insurgents and other enemies, navigating hostile territory with a team of armed and trained soldiers, all while evading enemy capture and IED's... is the same thing as me defending myself and my family from an attack.

I'll wait...

:popcorn:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    So please tell me Vic how military combat, hunting down insurgents and other enemies, navigating hostile territory with a team of armed and trained soldiers, all while evading enemy capture and IED's... is the same thing as me defending myself and my family from an attack.

I'll wait...

:popcorn:

All combat is different. Ask the veterans from WWII if it was different from WWI. What about from Korea to Vietnam? Heck, even recently, Iraq was different then Afghanistan. No combat is ever a like, which is why you learn weapon drills so much. If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every solution looks like a nail, a bit, at least until you can get a new tool in the box. Where ever we have combat will be different then everywhere else we have already had combat. Now, you defending your family is going to be different then just about every other Armed Citizen case as well. Why? Cause nothing in combat is the same, or we would all go through the same training, and be attacked by a bad guy in a red shirt and one in a blue shirt, with numbers and circles on their chest.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

Me too, however most of the time I can't. I was always taught that if you get into a gun fight, your sidearm should be a secondary weapon. I carry a rifle and an 870.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Me too, however most of the time I can't. I was always taught that if you get into a gun fight, your sidearm should be a secondary weapon. I carry a rifle and an 870.

Sidearms should be used to get to real arms.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    All combat is different. Ask the veterans from WWII if it was different from WWI. What about from Korea to Vietnam? Heck, even recently, Iraq was different then Afghanistan. No combat is ever a like, which is why you learn weapon drills so much. If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every solution looks like a nail, a bit, at least until you can get a new tool in the box. Where ever we have combat will be different then everywhere else we have already had combat. Now, you defending your family is going to be different then just about every other Armed Citizen case as well. Why? Cause nothing in combat is the same, or we would all go through the same training, and be attacked by a bad guy in a red shirt and one in a blue shirt, with numbers and circles on their chest.

+1

And this somewhat proves the point that I was trying to make. The OP suggests that because he is a combat vet, that his training is somehow superior. If you ask me, it reeks of arrogance, especially the comment of being worried when he sees someone else carrying.
    I'm very well-trained in close quarters combat shooting
    I have a high degree of confidence I'll hit what I'm aiming at.
    Even as a combat veteran who carries concealed, when I see someone carrying openly, my first thought is, why the hell are they carrying the gun? Should I feel at ease that a complete stranger is openly armed in public? And most importantly, this thought always crosses my mind: Is this person responsible enough with that gun not to get us all killed getting involved in something they might not be trained for, i.e. COMBAT.
    I concede carrying concealed is not useful if the gun is not readily accessible. Mine can be reached and effectively used in seconds (Combat reflexive shooting). A lot of practice and training went into it.

No doubt, his training is beneficial. Heck, ANY training is beneficial. However, military combat training is geared toward a specific purpose under circumstances that we as normal non-military citizens will never encounter. I am more interested in training for situations that I am likely to encounter. That is why I made the statement that combat and self defense are not the same.

As a side note, I have known several military vets who were involved directly in combat who could shoot the lights out with a rifle, but were absolutely useless with a pistol. Military training is great, but don't assume that just because someone is trained in the military, that their training is superior, especially in self defense situations.

Top Bottom