• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Are all Rights Absolute?

300k in Indiana have LTCH's. We have what...15k members. Positive experiences happen all the time, they are just not reported to you I guess. We have LOTS of good officers, I work with them every day. But you are free to believe what you want.

Also have know several officers, active and retired. Vast majority are upstanding people that have to deal with far worse segments of society than most INGO members will ever experience.

Interesting how some think a particular right is absolute. This thread contains several posts promoting OC as an absolute right that cannot ever be inappropriate. Some people think freedom of speech is an absolute right to include profanity anytime, anyplace, any situation. Do those that promote their absolute right to OC anytime, anyplace, and any situation also support others right to absolute free speech? All types of speech anytime, anyplace, and any situation? Do you want your children exposed to profanity in McDonalds?

With Rights come Responsibility. Just because you can do something does not always mean you should. I swear and I carry, but try to act with some respect and discretion regarding my surroundings. No swearing around children, no OC at the mall. Hope there is never a reason for my gun to leave the holster. However, if necessary it will be used to protect my family and myself.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Also have know several officers, active and retired. Vast majority are upstanding people that have to deal with far worse segments of society than most INGO members will ever experience.

Interesting how some think a particular right is absolute. This thread contains several posts promoting OC as an absolute right that cannot ever be inappropriate. Some people think freedom of speech is an absolute right to include profanity anytime, anyplace, any situation. Do those that promote their absolute right to OC anytime, anyplace, and any situation also support others right to absolute free speech? All types of speech anytime, anyplace, and any situation? Do you want your children exposed to profanity in McDonalds?

With Rights come Responsibility. Just because you can do something does not always mean you should. I swear and I carry, but try to act with some respect and discretion regarding my surroundings. No swearing around children, no OC at the mall. Hope there is never a reason for my gun to leave the holster. However, if necessary it will be used to protect my family and myself.

Awesome post, rep'd... but prepare to be taken to task.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

If someone swears in front of your kids, the proper solution is to teach your children that it's not appropriate, and why; it is NOT trying to pass laws in order to restrict what you don't like. The same goes for OC'ing in the mall. Feel free to let your children know that, although they have the right to do it, it isn't appropriate in your opinion and why, not try to pass laws banning it, or calling the cops on people who aren't doing anything to you. And to answer your question, yes - I support the rights you mention anytime, anyplace. I accept that some things some people do will offend me. But I recognize the rights for which our forefathers gave their lives and would never dream of limiting them just because I'm offended.

You know what offends me? Posting in support of limiting our rights on the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the beginning of the American Revolution, the struggle in which countless brave patriots gave their lives for those very rights you would chastise others for exercising because you don't like how, where or when they exercise them.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    If someone swears in front of your kids, the proper solution is to teach your children that it's not appropriate, and why; it is NOT trying to pass laws in order to restrict what you don't like. The same goes for OC'ing in the mall. Feel free to let your children know that, although they have the right to do it, it isn't appropriate in your opinion and why, not try to pass laws banning it, or calling the cops on people who aren't doing anything to you. And to answer your question, yes - I support the rights you mention anytime, anyplace. I accept that some things some people do will offend me. But I recognize the rights for which our forefathers gave their lives and would never dream of limiting them just because I'm offended.

You know what offends me? Posting in support of limiting our rights on the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the beginning of the American Revolution, the struggle in which countless brave patriots gave their lives for those very rights you would chastise others for exercising because you don't like how, where or when they exercise them.
    ^^^^What he said.:rockwoot:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I don't believe his post is indicative of him supporting "limiting our rights." He's talking about appropiateness in certain situations. It's an opinion which I support.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

dude i love this post! (im all out of rep though)

thats exactly right! parents need to teach their kids right from wrong when they see something THEY feel is wrong. people think they can shelter their kids from bad, but I assure you that you cannot. I learned what the "bird" was in first grade, and i was VERY sheltered. your kids will learn more than you could dream of at school. better start teaching them on your own! others have the right to curse ect. just as you have the right to feel its wrong and teach accordingly

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I don't believe his post is indicative of him supporting "limiting our rights." He's talking about appropiateness in certain situations. It's an opinion which I support.

This. He's not saying that it should be illegal, he's just saying something I've thought for some time: Use common sense and some common courtesy. I know what my rights are. I CC because I choose to. I know that people in general are stupid and me open carrying is not going to "Fix" anyone.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With Rights come Responsibility. Just because you can do something does not always mean you should.

octal, if certain races, nationalities or creeds offend others, should those races, nationalities or creeds just stay home? Do they have the responsibility to know that others may be offended?

For example, as much as I despise rhino, I cannot make him stay off the streets of Lafayette even though he offends me, or can I?

I object to the Heckler's Veto, whether it pertains to my right to worship, my right to buy certain books that offend women, children or minorities, my right to keep and bear arms, or even rhino's right to go antiquing in downtown Lafayette.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

You're probably right. It was the snarky, condescending tone of his post that bothered me more than anything else. But when you talk about exercising a right not being appropriate because doing so might bother someone, and imply that we have a responsibility to not bother others by exercising our rights, I will take issue. every time.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    ^ It's called common courtesy. In civilized society it's used a lot to ease things between groups with different views in life. YOu are correct, it does technically "infringe" on each others rights. But if both sides give a little, no one has to give up everything.

Something that we as a society have apparently forgotten. Compromise is no longer an option apparently.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    octal, if certain races, nationalities or creeds offend others, should those races, nationalities or creeds just stay home? Do they have the responsibility to know that others may be offended?

For example, as much as I despise rhino, I cannot make him stay off the streets of Lafayette even though he offends me, or can I?

I object to the Heckler's Veto, whether it pertains to my right to worship, my right to buy certain books that offend women, children or minorities, my right to keep and bear arms, or even rhino's right to go antiquing in downtown Lafayette.

The difference is "doing" vs "being" .... something you "do" can be be changed or modified (ie CC as an alternative to OC). Some you "are," you're very "being" cannot... one cannot change being of a different race, creed, age group, or sex. If a person is offended by something which is innate, something which can never be changed, then they have issues. If a person has a holster surgically attached to his head, then what can I say if he shows up at my "destroy all firearms" rally? Nothing :)

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    ^ It's called common courtesy. In civilized society it's used a lot to ease things between groups with different views in life. YOu are correct, it does technically "infringe" on each others rights. But if both sides give a little, no one has to give up everything.

Something that we as a society have apparently forgotten. Compromise is no longer an option apparently.

That is because about the only thing being compromised anymore is peoples morals. There are too many examples of this and I will list a few just to start with: hiring illegals to save money, selling drugs to kids to make money, working the system so you don't have to get a job, letting the state pay you to raise other peoples kids (obviously not in the moral way most people do it,) and the list goes on forever. I refuse to compromise while our society provides for the **** heads that do that type of thing.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    ^ And I choose to take the moral high road. You do your thing, and that makes me invisible. I'm ok with that.

Even though I was given a penis at birth, I do not feel the need to wave it around, compare it and tell everyone how big it is. I just don't have that testosterone level that makes me forget how to be polite. Maybe it's just because I was brought up that way.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Looks like this thread has gone.....

MV5BMTU0Mjg3MzkxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDU1OTY3._V1._SY317_.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ^ And I choose to take the moral high road. You do your thing, and that makes me invisible. I'm ok with that.

Even though I was given a penis at birth, I do not feel the need to wave it around, compare it and tell everyone how big it is. I just don't have that testosterone level that makes me forget how to be polite. Maybe it's just because I was brought up that way.

You were given one at birth? Mine came straight from the factory...
    :D

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion

As am I, I am also not in the greatest of moods as of late so if I seem a bit indifferent or even rude I am sorry, but open carrying is something I will do to the day I die and will educate all those that are respective and receptive of it. Key word being educate not preach.

and never mind you edited to add an insult.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Ah, a thinly veiled comparison between waving one's penis around, and OCing?

If you are going to insult an entire group of people, at least have the guts to come out and say it...

You chose to take the moral high road eh? :cool:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Nope, not at all. If I was going to call you an idiot, I would call you an idiot. I'm merely making the statement that I do not have the need to look for a confrontation, I do not feel the need to shove my opinions down anyone else's throat. If someone wants to learn, they will ask. Otherwise giving unwanted "advice" or "information" is preaching.

I'm saying that it is better for society as a whole when everyone willingly gives a LITTLE from both sides of an issue. Otherwise, we butt heads, yell, scream, faces turn red and throw tantrums and nothing gets done. Look at our recent Political issues. When one or both sides are unwilling to give, nothing gets done.

But, it's your right. I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong, or that you shouldn't. That;s a decision each person has to make for themselves. I know that society as a whole is stupid and choose to CC. I choose to make myself a little less visible to any and all. You may choose otherwise and is your right.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

You call that the "moral high ground", eh?

Nice.

Top Bottom