• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I hope you are never put in that situation.
    Not to this degree of course, but broaden it out to using force in general against such a young person, and I have been in similar situations. !00% prepared to take damage in order to get them under control without hurting them. I will try to minimize it of course, but I WILL risk my own health to do it. I wouldn't do that for adults of course.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Not to this degree of course, but broaden it out to using force in general against such a young person, and I have been in similar situations. !00% prepared to take damage in order to get them under control without hurting them. I will try to minimize it of course, but I WILL risk my own health to do it. I wouldn't do that for adults of course.
    When a young one is demonstrating regular physical force of course …… but I think it gets sticky once that same youngster is implementing deadly force. Getting put into that situation is near unimaginable, but there have been wars where the opposition has used this very tactic.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When a young one is demonstrating regular physical force of course …… but I think it gets sticky once that same youngster is implementing deadly force. Getting put into that situation is near unimaginable, but there have been wars where the opposition has used this very tactic.
    This was my first thought.
    I heard too many stories from Vietnam about children throwing hand grenades.
    I can't imagine how I might react in and after a similar situation, if I survived.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts

Hear me out

giphy (4) (4).gif

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Wonder what happened to them? For every 250 students, they were given the ability to obtain one. We were told after that horrible incident a few years ago they were an urgent need to prevent future school shootings.

That was a few years ago. I'd bet a M107A1 that of the schools that took advantage of that offer, the majority of those units are laying in the back of a file drawer without enough power to even turn the thing on.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Then it looks like I might take a bullet getting them under control. Along this same topic, here is an example of police taking more risk with a child that they never would with an adult. They knew they could have easily been injured attempting this but it was worth the risk and they did their best mitigate it. These are deadly weapons but of course different than a firearm but I assure you that I have put a lot of thought into these scenarios over the years.

While not a young child, I remember having to deal with a close friend having a mental break down in his basement, he was in a psychosis. I was going to get him to the hospital and knew it was very possible he was armed. I came to terms with the risk knowing that I was the best person to get him there safely, even if I got hurt. I'd do the same thing for a young child in crisis, the 6yr old with a gun is certainly in crisis whether they understand that or not.

Last edited:

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Then it looks like I might take a bullet getting them under control. Along this same topic, here is an example of police taking more risk with a child that they never would with an adult. They knew they could have easily been injured attempting this but it was worth the risk and they did their best mitigate it. These are deadly weapons but of course different than a firearm but I assure you that I have put a lot of thought into these scenarios over the years.

While not a young child, I remember having to deal with a close friend having a mental break down in his basement, he was in a psychosis. I was going to get him to the hospital and knew it was very possible he was armed. I came to terms with the risk knowing that I was the best person to get him there safely, even if I got hurt. I'd do the same thing for a young child in crisis, the 6yr old with a gun is certainly in crisis whether they understand that or not.

That is one thing when YOU’RE the one in danger but does that dynamic change if it is a loved one or another young child ??? Just having a discussion not saying anything negative just maybe a scenario you would be pressed into a corner that would change your well intentioned thinking? Granted I have never and hope I am never put into this situation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That is one thing when YOU’RE the one in danger but does that dynamic change if it is a loved one or another young child ??? Just having a discussion not saying anything negative just maybe a scenario you would be pressed into a corner that would change your well intentioned thinking? Granted I have never and hope I am never put into this situation.
    In that scenario, deadly force would still likely be off the table. Killing a 6yr old would be unrecoverable mentally, even if to save another life. I would put myself in harms way to protect the 3rd party as well as the suspect. Even if it meant throwing myself into it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have to say that I must agree with WCD in that there is a considerable responsibility which falls on the parents in this situation. Primarily that the child viewed this as something that could be done. When I was young my parents never had to lock up anything because we were indoctrinated from birth on the dangers and responsibilities of firearms.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The English woman who was on the scene to give her opinion was ridiculous as well. She said crime in England is "0" lmao. London has an epidemic of stabbing incidents and she seems to think they have it all figured out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Going to say something that may not be popular, but it’s my opinion that his adults should have some explaining to do. Like how he knew the combination to the safe. Why he was given access to the firearm?
    Not controversial in the least.

The story said "a six year old in in custody..." My first thought is that every 6 year old should always be in somebody's custody, that is, they are not out there on their own.

If we were talking about an older child, that's different, but a 6 year old? I'm pretty sure sophisticated deception or use of force are not involved. Parents (or whoever the caregiver is) screwed something up.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Not controversial in the least.

The story said "a six year old in in custody..." My first thought is that every 6 year old should always be in somebody's custody, that is, they are not out there on their own.

If we were talking about an older child, that's different, but a 6 year old? I'm pretty sure sophisticated deception or use of force are not involved. Parents (or whoever the caregiver is) screwed something up.
    Looks like they’re pointing fingers at mom.

Top Bottom