• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    We are looking at a Diamondback db9, for her to conceal carry.

Make sure you practice with the defensive ammo of your choice. I have HEARD (key word heard) that brand is prone to light primer strikes which may not be enough for ammo with hard primers (fiocchi and hornady come to mind). There are a few reviews on midway that would confirm my statement. Regardless, great gun, almost got one myself.

I have to ask, though, (and this is to everyone) what is the fascination with pocket 9mm? Guns that small are already hard enough to shoot chambered in .380. They are also going to be a "down and dirty" close range gun, not a target pistol... so the cost of ammo difference/ballistics of the 9mm argument is lost on me too.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    We've got both a 38 snubby and a .380. Mrs. doesn't mind shooting either, but carrying the 38 in her purse would make me real nervous. That's one of the reason I picked up the .380. I think the perceived recoil is about the same on each.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Recently took my Walther PPK/S and Colt Mustang Pocketlite to the range. Been awhile since I fired either of them. Started out with the heavier (22 oz) PPK/S to acclimate myself to shooting the smaller weapons. The Walther is a blowback and after about 50 rounds, I was beginning to feel the recoil. Loaded up the lighter (14 oz) Colt, expecting a bit more kick. The Mustang's locked breech really did its job! It's a pleasant little pistol to carry and shoot.

Sig makes the P238, which is virtually the same gun, but a little heavier. Colt is again making Mustangs, but I hear they are hard to find.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I prefer the Taurus .380. Has a shorter trigger pull than the Keltec or Ruger and cost less that the Sig.

If she doesn't like the Glock 17 then definately avoid the little Taurus TCP or Keltec or Ruger LCP. I have shot two of the three of these. Both the TCP and KelTec are nasty little cusses. Hard to handle, bad recoil, poor sights or lack of.

Take Pocketman's advice and look for something with a locked breech design. Several have mentioned the Walther PK380, as have I. My wife has arthritis and can shoot hers with no problems. Easy to rack, virtually no recoil, nice three dot sights, excellent grip. It is a joy to shoot. Several ladies have shot this gun at NRA classes. They all loved it! It is a blast to shoot.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Make sure you practice with the defensive ammo of your choice. I have HEARD (key word heard) that brand is prone to light primer strikes which may not be enough for ammo with hard primers (fiocchi and hornady come to mind). There are a few reviews on midway that would confirm my statement. Regardless, great gun, almost got one myself.

I have to ask, though, (and this is to everyone) what is the fascination with pocket 9mm? Guns that small are already hard enough to shoot chambered in .380. They are also going to be a "down and dirty" close range gun, not a target pistol... so the cost of ammo difference/ballistics of the 9mm argument is lost on me too.

I respectfully disagree. Most "pocket" 9's are small enough to go in your pocket, but are significantly larger than a .380. Consider the example of the Kahr lineup - p380 vs. CM9 or PM9. If I'm wearing something that shows it more, I'll use the p380 due to its great concealment. The rest of the time, I'll gladly carry the CM9. More accurate, more comfortable, more power etc.

cam75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, didn't expect to get this much advice. Sorry, understatement, so much informed, hands on advise. Ive got lots to research and think about. Thanks Ingo.

tmf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    My wife hates shooting my .380. She doesn't like the lack of grip, although she can get three little fingers on the LCP compared to my two. She will often carry a larger handgun because she can better manage the recoil.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    My wife carries an LCP, because it is light and small and easy to conceal. She knew it would have some snap on the recoil. But she has practiced with it and is confident in shooting it. Others have talked down about poor sights or lack of them, but the LCP is not a target gun. It's purely a SD pistol for conversational range distances so dialing in to shoot a quarter is a non-issue. I've let her shoot my Beretta Nano, but she still prefers the LCP.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    +1 pk 380 is one of the nicest 380s on the market.

I agree. Picked one up for my wife and I have shot it as well. Great shooter for a .380. She actually likes it a lot as well. I thought there was very little recoil and it was very enjoyable to shoot. The only downside is the price of the ammo compared to other rounds, but since I reload that is not a major issue for me. Good luck on the search.

Top Bottom