• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cam75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Good info Kludge. Never looked for a CCW purse, but I don't think she'll be up to giving up her beloved Coach purse.

Oh, and yes what ever firearm will be in a holster. We have a 3 and 5 year old. Last thing I want is an accidental discharge and something terrible happening.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    She really needs to attend a basic handgun class so she can try different handguns and make her own decision with the knowledge that she gets from the class.

Check with the trainers on this forum for a class schedule.

It is presumptious of me to recommend a handgun to a lady that I don't even know. My ladies have surprised me with their various choices.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The S&W .380 Bodyguard has been a nicer pistol for me than I initially gave it credit for. I don't know how useful the laser would truly be a self defense situation, but the sights are actually quite good on their own, and the laser is always there if she were to choose to use it. It has a very aggressive safety (I hope mine loosens up a little over time) and a long trigger, both of which would be an advantage if your wife is really going to carry IN her purse (which frankly sounds like a bad idea, but you didn't ask for commentary on her method of carry, so feel free to ignore the editorial comment). It is quite a soft shooting .380, at least in my mind, and particularly for a polymer gun; it is also astonishingly accurate for a BUG gun, which is what I use it for. If you decide to go this route, make sure the serial number begins with "EBBxxxx" or later. The "EA?xxxx" (earlier issue, EAA, EAB, EAC, etc) series pistols exhibited problems with the laser actuation buttons (not a big deal) and a miscut groove in the takedown pin (big deal). Both of these were fixed somewhere in the 'EA? runs, but it's still unclear where; but the EBB's and later are confirmed with the new button and takedown pin design. I've had no problems with mine. At it's price point, it is quite a value.

Last edited:

cam75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    She really needs to attend a basic handgun class so she can try different handguns and make her own decision with the knowledge that she gets from the class.

Check with the trainers on this forum for a class schedule.

It is presumptious of me to recommend a handgun to a lady that I don't even know. My ladies have surprised me with their various choices.

She's never attended a class, but she's been shooting my G17. She's been to the range with me a dozen times, can load the magazine/gun, etc. She a decent shot at 7-10 yards. She has probably 500 rounds under her belt.

She already has kind of made her choice, she hated my 1911, and finds to recoil on the G17 to much. Not that she can't handle it, but would prefer something with less recoil.

cam75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    The S&W .380 Bodyguard has been a nicer pistol for me than I initially gave it credit for. I don't know how useful the laser would truly be a self defense situation, but the sights are actually quite good on their own, and the laser is always there if she were to choose to use it. It has a very aggressive safety (I hope mine loosens up a little over time) and a long trigger, both of which would be an advantage if your wife is really going to carry IN her purse (which frankly sounds like a bad idea, but you didn't ask for commentary on her method of carry, so feel free to ignore the editorial comment). It is quite a soft shooting .380, at least in my mind, and particularly for a polymer gun; it is also astonishingly accurate for a BUG gun, which is what I use it for. If you decide to go this route, make sure the serial number begins with "EBBxxxx" or later. The "EA?xxxx" (earlier issue, EAA, EAB, EAC, etc) series pistols exhibited problems with the laser actuation buttons (not a big deal) and a miscut groove in the takedown pin (big deal). Both of these were fixed somewhere in the 'EA? runs, but it's still unclear where; but the EBB's and later are confirmed with the new button and takedown pin design. I've had no problems with mine. At it's price point, it is quite a value.

Ill add it to the list. Thx for the info. It sounds like what she'd be happy with

I'd prefer she didn't carry in her purse, but she will not wear a holster, either IWB/OWB, and definitely not OC.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    We have a 3 and 5 year old. Last thing I want is an accidental discharge and something terrible happening.

Oh man, that's the best reason of all *not* to purse carry.

Way more discipline is required in that situation than most people are willing to put up with. :twocents:

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    Had a px4storm compact for my wife and while she liked shooting it, carrying it was another story. Tried the 380 but this was too little too much kick. Went to the 642 .38 and this seems to be the happy medium for her. But I must say, she grew up shooting a full size 357 with her family every other weekend so that maybe some of why she likes the 642. Btw, carries it in a pocket holster inside her purse. This seems to make for secure placement and ease of obtaining.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Lots of bite with a bodyguard

I'll recommend the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. It's got a very sturdy feel, integrated laser and a manual safety. My wife carries one now and loves it.

I've shot a S&W 380 bodyguard and hated it. It stung to shoot it. It's hard to say if it or the lightweight Taurus 38 special was worse. Not so much a recoil feel as a biting stinging kind of feeling. I like my SP101 357 even with 158 gr ammo much better than either of the above guns.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Go meet and shoot with her or rent if you can and see what works. .380 isn't a bad round at all as long as it's not a simple blowback like Walther PP series. I've never heard anyone hate the Bersa Thunder, so definitely try that. I've heard mixed things about the PK380, like it not always reliable (oversized P22). You could also look at the Beretta Cheetah. I'd get one if I didn't already have a .380. Also there's the Walther PPQ/PPS you could have her try.

rilesss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    NWI
    Get her a s&w 637 air weight, 38 special, put a longer grip on it, makes recoil better
    Revolvers are easy to shoot

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    She's never attended a class, but she's been shooting my G17. She's been to the range with me a dozen times, can load the magazine/gun, etc. She a decent shot at 7-10 yards. She has probably 500 rounds under her belt.

She already has kind of made her choice, she hated my 1911, and finds to recoil on the G17 to much. Not that she can't handle it, but would prefer something with less recoil.

A good revolver shooting .38's will have pretty mild recoil because of the mechanics of the weapon. It sits lower in the and, so the axis of the bore is closer to your palm, which translate more of the recoil into pushing INTO your hand rather than twisting your wrist, which results in very reduced felt recoil.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I would look at the Walther PK380. That's what MrsGBuck has and she LOVES it. She is 5'1" and 95#. Fits great in small hands and is super soft to shoot. Not a "poket" .380, but not big either. Smaller than a Glock 19... considerably.
    +1 pk 380 is one of the nicest 380s on the market.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Short answer. Walther PK380, sig P232, Bersa thunder. The Ruger LCR is a soft shooting snub. If you go with a j frame smith make sure to invest in a full size grip.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I've owned and carried many of the "pocket" 380's. Most hurt to shoot. the one that I have found not to fall into that category is the Kahr p380. Even with it's small size, it's relatively easy to shoot.

All that said, having young kids around , I would think twice before purse carrying. It's not ON your body - and the possibilities for a young one to grab what they shouldn't are certainly there.

And then the advice to have her take a basic pistol class and try a bunch of stuff untill things fit right, is good.

Top Bottom