38 super pointed at my chest and trigger pulled.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I don't own a gun shop and have never been a gun shop clerk but I would think that if I was the least, little bit concerned about a customer I would ask him a few simple questions first before handing him a gun.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As for things you did wrong, I would list the following: You didn't beat the **** out of them; you didn't throw them out (literally) from your store.

Other than that, I think you're good. As far as if they come back, I would send them right out the front door again too...

PS, where is your shop? I'd like to come in and show you that young people can care about safety...

Way down south. Clarksville, about a mile off I 65. Thanks for the interest. My best customers are younger guys and gals. (and I mostly sell old military rifles, go figure.)

archy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Oaktown/Vincennes ar
    A couple of years back a fella in a Colorado gun shop pointed a handgun at an employee of the shop who happened to be a veteran of military service. In the British Army. In one of the Gurkha units.

Unfortunately, the doctors were unable to reattach the fool's hands. It's one of the exceptions to the old line about not bringing a knife to a gunfight.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9629/12gj4.jpg

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ^
    +1

They may have already been high.

I certainly hope not, for the OP's sake.

IC 35-47-4-1
    Delivery of deadly weapon to intoxicated person
    Sec. 1. A person who sells, barters, gives, or delivers any deadly weapon to any person at the time in a state of intoxication, knowing him to be in a state of intoxication, or to any person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, and knowing him to be a person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    OP,

Did the guy point it in your direction and pull the trigger, or did he line up the sights on you and pull the trigger.

I think different people are reading differently here.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    OP,

Did the guy point it in your direction and pull the trigger, or did he line up the sights on you and pull the trigger.

I think different people are reading differently here.

He was holding it in his hand, it was pointing at my chest (not aiming) and he pulled the trigger. If he would have raised it and aimed it at me my response would have been a bit different. I would have been just as dead (if the weapon had been loaded) but one way shows malicious intent and the other shows ignorance.

The weapon was at his chest level pointed at me at my chest level. The width of a counter was the distance. I hope this clears any confusion. I tried to word the post as accuratley as I could. He did not raise the gun to eye level.

Thanks to all for the feedback and opinions. Everyone of you have given me reason to believe I handled it in a decent fashion.:ingo:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Dang Dawg! He saw a Kimberly and got all excited. Was it sitting next to a G-Lock? I heard they have the same reaction. Poor young punks just couldn't control themselves.

Seriously, I agree that if suspicion of ignorance arises, make sure you explain the rules before you hand them a weapon. Dumb people do dumb things so its expected.

Of course, I have never had a gun pointed at me.

Yukon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    Gun's are/can be life changers for some and life enders for others. You should not give a trigger happy customer who doesn't respect the power that he/she is weilding another thought except to make sure they don't get a piece from you.

You handled it just fine.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Damn dude yous def were bangin on that poor kid.. n u punked him out infront of his homies.. not cool. Ight lets hope hope that lil **** bird didnt take it too personally. Or else u fuxesd up bad.

^semi serious note be on high alert.

Far as the other kid.

Cleaned up could mean alot of things. Maybe he just dodged a serious bullet with the law..
    He could be gettin his **** together.
    He could be walking away from a **** storm of crap.. that will follow from choosing to walk away.
    could no longee be using drugs hard saying.

If you encounter him again you could ask kinda sounds like he will share.

Pocket guns are great.. people getting their **** together happens all the time.. sometimes the party boys become responsible productive citizens..

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Agree with all of the above and echo the people who said be on higher alert than usual for a while.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    If you don't already have some posted, a sign to the effect of "We reserve the right to refuse a sale to any person, at any tiime, per store policy," would be a start.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You were a lot nicer than I would have been.
    +1^

I'd have had to physically remove the garbage from the store after he pointed a weapon at me and pulled the trigger. You showed incredible restraint.

I'd prepare for retaliatory vandalism or theft. Just a thought. Ask local law enforcement for a regular drive by for a while, maybe?

Top Bottom