38 super pointed at my chest and trigger pulled.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Or at least before you are allowed to purchase or handle a firearm. These uneducated fools give all other legal gun owners a bad reputation and their mistakes are usually the one that provide ammunition for the gun-control advocates. We, as the responsible gun-owning community, should be pushing for mandatory safety courses to reduce the number of irresponsible gun owners and to make sure all gun owners have heard the basic safety rules at least once.

Mandatory restrictions? This is called "gun control" and we do not need any of it. The more we restrict gun ownership, the quicker we lose the Second Amendment and our last defense against tyranny. Please, read The Federalist Papers so you can understand the importance of the right to keep and bear arms without government's interference, mandates, or registrations.

Not sure what you mean. Are you proposing other restrictions?

I was simply saying that there should be a bare minimum safety course requirement. I know many of us grew up around firearms and have been taught proper firearm safety. But there are also many that have not and have never been told not to point an unloaded weapon, etc. like the youngster that the original poster encountered. It could have cost him his life if there had been a round in the chamber.

The comment is a jest in mockery of a very bad idea—similar to using a megaphone on the beach of an island inhabited by a t-rex (refer to the last Jurassic Park flick for explanation).

No. Sorry, but definitely no.
    I'm not saying that safety (or other) training isn't an excellent idea to pursue on your own...I'm saying it should not be a requirement of ownership.

Again, to sum it up if I wasn't clear - No.

Mandatory training is just more government regulation. Training is essential, but we need to take the initiative on it ourselves. I received my LTCH before I had any training; but before I would carry, I got some good training. Subsequently, I got additional training from INGOer H and K. Excellent instructor and a great guy. But no one made me do it. I did it because it was the smart thing to do. I knew I needed it.

Currently, good training can be very, very expensive. Almost as much as purchasing an economical pistol. One of the good things LGS could do is offer a free training course to new customers, i.e. when one buys a first handgun. It would not have to be full-fledged NRA course, but at least take them to a range, drill them on the four basic rules, guide them in how to hold the weapon, reload, gun-range etiquette, just the basics. Offer it as a free-benefit to purchasing from them instead of ordering on-line. I know, many already do this, but it is a very good idea.

The last thing we want is more government rules.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I received my LTCH before I had any training; but before I would carry, I got some good training. Subsequently, I got additional training

no one made me do it. I did it because it was the smart thing to do. I knew I needed it..

Similar story here.
    Got LTCH.
    Took (NRA) Basic Pistol Safety before carrying.

The difference is that when I decided to go the next step for the next class (NRA Personal Protection in the Home), I found out my first class was rather inadequate. I RE-took "Basic Pistol Safety" from a better/more thorough instructor (imo) and also dragged the whole fam along for both classes back to back.
    Then went on from there...

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've seen a lot of idiocy in gun stores. Just this past weekend, I stopped in at Bradis just of the hell of it (I ended up picking up a gunsmithing punch set and a couple of AR-15 mags).

Anyway, these two kids (late teens) were lurking around in the side room of Bradis 1, playing with the various guns. I say "playing" because I overheard some of their conversation (filled with all sorts of nonsense about fully automatic weapons) and then actually saw one pick up an AK, shoulder it, and make machine-gun noises like a little kid playing army men (he was point it at the floor, though).

All I could do is shake my head and walk away.

While a lot of us may call our guns "toys" and joke around about them, we still know they are tools and dangerous ones at that. I certainly don't play with them and make shooting sounds.... except in the privacy of my own home. :D

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I dont know but I was taught that if it isnt yours then you dont touch it.

Some people just werent raised right.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thread Revival...Update....

I got a call at the shop yesterday. There was a big drug bust going on down the street (Maple Court). I stepped out to have a look and guess what??? It was the "point the .38 super gang" being taken to the Hoosegow!!!!

I didn't get any details and the only reason I knew it was them is one of my regulars showed me where they live after they left that first day. When I stepped out and saw it was that house I confess to grinning just a smidgen...

I hate reviving old threads but I just wanted to share the good news and to let all of you INGO'ers who said, "I bet they were on something" know you were right it appears. (and if not on it at least selling it!)

+1 to the Clarksville Police Department and especially Chief Palmer. The house is a block away from my daughters grade school.

One positive thing I got from this? I took the Kimber home and refer to that 1911 as "Kimberly".

Top Bottom