38 super pointed at my chest and trigger pulled.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    racism1.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Trash comes in all colors of the rainbow.

So does stupid.

So does dangerous.

Your shop, your call.

Stay safe & sleep well.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    You did the right thing. Always trust your gut; if anybody is going to venture into a gun store without common knowledge of how to handle one needs to first ask how to use one.

I'm only 24 - I've been a gun owner since 21, and I've known my whole LIFE to not point a weapon (be it knife, handgun, shotgun, rifle, BB gun, whatever) at anything you don't intend on harming.

Bet your heart just about jumped out of your chest, didn't it? I've had that feeling a time or two as I'm sure most have.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I think you handled it great....I would have told them to get out right then probly. and if they didnt move fast enough i would help them to the door. I also agree that if they come back just send them right back to their car. No need to make your life any harder because they are idiots. Also I have to add that unless i am in my LGS that i know the guys pretty well I DONT TOUCH a gun without talking to salesman. I just find it better all the way around even though i know what im doing it makes the salesman feel better because he doesnt know what my level of knowledge of guns are at all.

Last edited:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Ban him for life from your store! Or I really doubt this will happen but if he comes back into the store with a respectful apology, I would accept his apology but still refuse to sell him anything. And point him to other stores in the area.

By the way how much are you asking for the llama? I'm interested.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Assuming you have cameras on everything including the parking lot? I hope you don't need them, but now would be the time to make sure you are recording everything to a foolproof backup.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No one needs customers that badly.
    If you believe you have to worry about someone after
    they walk out your door, don't sell to them.

Does not matter if you sell guns, cars or alcohol.
    I'm sure you have been in business long enough to spot trouble when it walks through your door.
    Trust your gut.

True that. The two that I quote were pure white trash.

Looks like some posters might have......

web_image-jumping_the_gun.jpg

:laugh:

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    You didn't come over the counter and ***** slap the kid who triggered you? Minus 5 points...

Honestly, I think you handled it pretty well.
    In all honesty you handled it much better that I would have.You should get brownie points for not beating the ****out of Mr. trigger happy!! Taking the gun away from him and asking him to leave and not return until he takes a firearms safety course would not have been out of bounds.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Lotta tough talk here. Trouble is, after goin' up'side his noggin for it, and he runs home crying, think about how it's going to play out when he comes back with the police.

Don't get me wrong, I also think he deserved a nosebleed education, but making assumptions about how it would play out based on that would be reckless. We've all seen how cases like that can shake out. Regardless of the 2A and our rights to self defense, when the court sees store video of you clearing the weapon and the kid stating that he was only checking it out in that manner *because* you cleared the weapon, no one will be able to find that first rule of gun safety in the law books.

It all seems pretty simple to responsible gun owners, and in a different era, it would be to any reasonable person. Today that water has gotten awfully muddy.

I think you handled it very well. If they come back with that same cavalier attitude, you would be completely reasonable in refusing service to them. My guess is that any of them who *do* decide to come back might be a bit more humble. If that's the case, you have a great opportunity to educate and make a difference for someone.

Otherwise, as others have said, I don't think you would be suffering the lost business by not selling them anything.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Just a suggestion, but as soon as the barrel of that thing became uncomfortably close, I would be deflecting its path.(assuming I was close enough to do so). A discussion of gun safety rules would then ensue with my hand on the gun. I would work very hard not to let a barrel get aimed at me in the first place...it's just not worth it, even though you cleared the gun yourself. After the safety lecture, I would have treated the whole bunch at least as harshly as you did.
    They got off easy as far as I can tell.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    Sounds to me like they were blinded by the brite flash of the Kimberly and momentarly lost any common sence they had accumalated between them. I understand that when you work with the public in sales that you many times have to bite your tongue when dealing with John Q public. In this instance I think you went above and beyond, especially with their blatant disreguard for safety. Kudos to you Sir.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    You were a lot nicer than I would have been.
    I agree with marcum man. I say post a sign with your standard of weapon handling in your shop, not only for your safety but for others in the store. So it is written so shall it be done. I have read many posts about gun store customers who have left a store, and vowed not to go back because of in store shenanigans by other customers. Now those claims may have been all bluster, but I'm sure that you wouldn't want to take the chance of loosing a customer for someone else's bad behavior.

For example I go to a lot of gokart tracks, many of these tracks have rental karts. In every case the rules for safe, and polite handling of the track owners property are made abundantly clear. Break a rule: black flag, go home, no second chances, no negotiations, no bull :poop:.

In short like others have said "your shop your rules." When I come to your shop I will dutifully follow your rules or expect to be asked to leave. :twocents:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's your call. What the guy did was absolutely ignorant, and that is the very best you could say about it. Or worse? Did you have any sense that he was trying to harass or intimidate? Was he just playing stupid and in reality guilty of something more serious? Or was he "only" guilty of an otherwise innocent act of stupidity? It's hard to believe that anyone could really be that stupid. Could he possibly be considering committing a crime in the future and you were just practice? Let's just see how it feels to pull the trigger on a real person sort of thing? For you, does it even matter? In either case, nobody would ever second-guess you if you decided to ban those guys as permanent persona non-grata. If I were in your shoes, and some guy pointed a gun in my chest and pulled the trigger, that would be the end of our relationship. He would NEVER EVER step foot in my place again.

Consider this. How could you even dream about selling that guy a gun? Holy crows!! That's a scary thought!! So what's the point of him being in your store if you don't want to sell him a gun?? Just stay the "f" away.

There are some behavioral issues that a normal person should master by age 12 or 13. For a grown adult, that's simply inexcusable.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You do't have to sell a gun to anyone you're not comfortable with, and people who come in and violate gun safety rules and have a cavalier attitude about them aren't people I'd let touch a gun let along sell one to.

Is it that cut and dry?

If one offers sales/service to the public and then refuses a sale I think that could open one up to discrimination charges :dunno:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As a man in my mid 20s I felt obligated to appologize for my generation.

But then I realized these were 20 year old boys with no common sense. I am my own man and can think rationally, but I see very few in my age group with anymore than :twocents: between them. Im truly affraid for my generation and those that followed. It seems that they just keep getting worse.

I try as hard as I can to educate my friends and always demonstrate proper firearms handling. But for most these days it seems the concept of common sense is lost on them. So much so that now it should be called "uncommon sense"

You did the right thing. Keep the idiots out of your store.

Top Bottom