38 super pointed at my chest and trigger pulled.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Is it that cut and dry?

If one offers sales/service to the public and then refuses a sale I think that could open one up to discrimination charges :dunno:

Private business, not a public entity.

I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is it that cut and dry?

If one offers sales/service to the public and then refuses a sale I think that could open one up to discrimination charges :dunno:
    I would tend to doubt it... haven't you ever been in an establishment that has posted, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? Now if the owner (or an employee) refuses service by saying to the customer, "We don't serve _______ (insert derogatory racial, ethnic or gender-specific term) here", and it was witnessed by others, then maybe a case could be made.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Step 1 - Hire printcraft, his profile picture outfit is his work uniform.

Step 2 - Post sign - "Anybody caught being negligent with firearms inside the store will be tied to a chair while printcraft does the LMFAO "Sexy and I Know It" dance no further than 18 inches from you. Only way out is by letting him finish the dance or paying $50"

Step 3 - Give printcraft 50% of each escape payment. You profit, and printcraft can say he makes money as an exotic dancer.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Is it that cut and dry?

no it doesnt ... An owner can refuse service to anyone. I wouldnt feel safe in my own place if i sold a gun to an idiot who didnt know how to use it.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    Wow! You did a good job. I would have sent rifle guy out first then dry fire guy out next. If you don't know how be safe with weapons get out. If you don't know anything about the weapon in your hands put it down and don't jack with it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    On a serious note: if someone makes a gross safety violation - it is a teachable moment. If someone declines the teaching moment, that is when you have the real problem.

Sounds like you had the latter. Perhaps he was embarassed and pushing back in pride at the first comment, does not really matter as he did not correct himself or respond respectfully to the firearm dealer or to the firearm.

So he got a timeout.

If he comes back with a completely different personality and carrying an apology? Who knows. But he has work to do to prove himself other than the dork he made of himself already.

And I would not hold my breath waiting for that work order to complete.

As for discrimination. Since he tossed out 4 people with minorities making up only 25% of the total, I am guessing there will be no issue. So long as there is no provable pattern, all you have is a single instance. Now, if the OP has a short fuze with trash of particular colors, then there is something to look within about, but as long as the issue is trash and not the color of the wrapper - then he's good to go.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Is it that cut and dry?

I'm no lawyer but I am thinking that if your rules are posted, you are only subject to a discrimination complaint if it is based on. Age, Race, Origin, Disability, Military service and Sexual orientation. And like Printcraft said, if it is a private entity I don't think that those rules even apply. Personally I wouldn't argue with an armed man... well at least not a private citizen. Maybe I should have used light purple on that one.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry man; I come in your shop occasionally when I'm in the area, and I've never seen anybody THAT bad in there yet. You are right near some of the "wrong" parts of town, unfortunately. I think you handled the situation well, and a LOT more politely than I would have.

As soon as I heard that click, all four of them would have been out on their asses in the street, and never allowed back in. You were more gracious than I would have been.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    When I got to gun stores, I see these kinds of people all the time. It' a very universal thing. Good thing they didn't come in with live guns.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Next time they come in you can tell them several customers complained about their behavior and they are either banned from the store or this trip is their last chance to prove they can handle guns responsibly and if they can't they will be banned at the first indiscretion.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Agreed. File a police report.

If they did it to you, have done/they'll do it to another person.

IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Did good by me. If people cant follow the safety rules they have no business handling a firearm.

I don't think I could ever work in a gun shop because of incidents just like this one. My blood pressure would be through the roof.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    As for things you did wrong, I would list the following: You didn't beat the **** out of them; you didn't throw them out (literally) from your store.

Other than that, I think you're good. As far as if they come back, I would send them right out the front door again too...

PS, where is your shop? I'd like to come in and show you that young people can care about safety...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My biggest concern at this point is when they come back will they be armed? I think they were scoping you out. Keep your situational awareness on high.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My biggest concern at this point is when they come back will they be armed? I think they were scoping you out. Keep your situational awareness on high.

Nah, these kinds of punks are all over the place. They act tough but usually aren't.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Agreed. File a police report.

If they did it to you, have done/they'll do it to another person.

It's one thing to sweep somebody with a business end of a gun(not recommended) and to intentionally aim it at somebody's chest AND pull the trigger...If you have camera's installed, I'd would without hesitation file a police report very shortly after they left. Total disregards to people's property and safety.

Top Bottom