• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    with all the political BS (and yes I know its important to be involved right now and I am), it is certainly refreshing to find a nice caliber vs caliber discussion on a gun forum that doesn't involve the effectiveness of a .22 for SD or the performance of 9 vs 40 vs 45 !!!

:yesway:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have both, though they are completely different rifles, with different purposes in the safe. My '06 is strictly for hunting, on the off chance that I ever get the opportunity to go out of state for deer or elk. Its a Browning A-Bolt hunter, and fairly lightweight, and easy to carry. My .308 is a target rifle, set up with a heavier barrel, optics and accessories to accommodate such activities. It does wonderful for its intended purpose, and has at times been used to thin the blooming population of coyotes in the area.
    My particular 30-06 gives up a bit in accuracy in the name of portability, but given comparable platforms, I dont think there is any difference that the average shooter will be able to detect between the two, other than the obvious length of the cartridge.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im liking this thread, Ive been posing the question to myself for awhile now.
    Ive been thinking about getting a larger caliber savage rifle ever since I got my .22, been real happy with their rifles, its just the caliber thats been getting me.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I slightly prefer 7mm RM over 30-06 and 30-06 over .308. The biggest attraction to the .308 (to me) is that it is a current military caliber and is (was) readily available in platforms with detachable magazines. Other than that I think the 7mm RM and 30-06 are slightly better cartridges at long range.

BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    Reason why Army and USMC send there long range shooters out with 308s...the fun is researching why.

Whats most prevelant and affordable at your LGS?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We submit our troops to whatever is decided by NATO. Then we let the congressional ways and means committee play games with the money. (I am not even getting into the Pentagon and Federal legislators being in bed with the defense contractors). If it were not for NATO, we could stick a couple of 300 WIN MAG snipers in every squad. That would come in handy in the sandbox, just like combat shotgunners were pretty handy in Vietnam. I have never understood our submission to NATO or the UN, especially since we actually pay the bills for many of the countries that vote against us.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Thanks avboiler; I was thinking that 308 was legal. Why are these rounds are not legal? I could see small calibers prohibited, since they would not cause a fatal wound, but a higher power round isn't allowed?? Obviously, my knowledge of these things is a wee bit light...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Thanks avboiler; I was thinking that 308 was legal. Why are these rounds are not legal? I could see small calibers prohibited, since they would not cause a fatal wound, but a higher power round isn't allowed?? Obviously, my knowledge of these things is a wee bit light...

Because some folks think allowing modern rifles for whitetail would cause a stream of blood from innocent people shot with high powered assault deer rifles.

Of course, cross the Ohio River and go into Kentucky (where I'm from and where I hunt) and you can use a 270, 30-06, 300AAC, hell even a 22 Hornet and miraculously, there are almost no injuries or fatalities from "stray bullets".

This past year I headshot a doe at 65yd with an 80gr A-Max from a 223AI. Bullet entered just in front of the left year, exited through the bottom of the right ear, and literally blew a fist-sized chunk of skull out from the inner portion of her right eye to the ear.

I'd have no qualms with putting that bullet into the boiler room of a bruiser buck.

I'm thinking of hunting with my SPR this upcoming season, if only to mock the leftists who say "people don't deer hunt with assault rifles" :laugh:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The big difference between the 30-06 and the 308 is about 200 fps. In the 165 to 168 gr loadings.

Using Varget in both cases a charge of 39.4 in the 308 will give you 2400 fps. Using a charge of 46.3 in the 30-06 will give you 2600 fps.

The 308 kicks less and it is more accurate. Each round weighs less so you could carry more 308 than 30-06. The rifle is also lighter in the action. The 308 takes a short action and the 30-06 takes a long action.

The 308 is used by the military for its standard sniper round. Yes they use other rounds such as the 300 Winchester magnum and the 50BMG. They don't use the 30-06 any more.

After the Korean War the US military changed from the 30-06 to the 308. Along with it came a new rifle the M14 or better known to civilians as the M1A. No more M1 thumb. The new rifle had replaceable magazines. It also had less recoil.

The M14 has been brought back into service in the current war for its long range capabilities.

I personally don't have a 30-06. I do have a 308 and like it. It is a very easy caliber to load for and shoot. I shoot the 243 more than I do the 308. It is cheaper to shoot and kills paper as well as any thing I have. Now days I shoot mostly paper.

I don't know if this answers the question witch is best. I would say the one you can shoot the best is the best. If you are only looking at power then the 30-06 is best. If you are looking at a all around rife I would say the 308 is best.
    With either one you can shoot small game with the 110 gr or use the 130 to 168 on deer and use the big 180 to 200gr for big game with well placed shots.

I chose the 308 because of the short action and lighter weight ammo. The 200 fps difference has no meaning to me. The 308 will do every thing I need it to do. It will do it way past the distance I will shoot at. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    300 winmag is not a middle man for 308 and 30-06. 300 winmag >30-06

If 300 winmag is a middleman, than one of the others much be 300RUM or somesuch.

I personally don't care for any .30 cal. I would stop at 7mm and if I needed something bigger, then step all the way up to the .338 class (Lapua is my favorite, but there are lots of good .338s).

Top Bottom