• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Using Varget in both cases a charge of 39.4 in the 308 will give you 2400 fps.

**WARNING** Do not try this at home, unless you work your way up watching for signs of excess pressure. This is a maximum load and is slightly compressed.

I'm using Prvi Partizan brass, FGM Match primers and A-max 168 grain bullets with 46.0 grains of Varget. This is the maximum load recommended by Varget, but it pushes rounds out of my 700 at 2805 fps. I didn't choose this load for the velocity, but that is where I got my best groups and consistent velocity. The bullets remain supersonic out past 1,000 yards. According to my ballistics program it is still moving at 1248 fps at 1,000 yards.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Each caliber has a lot going for it. Either one will do well for long range shooting and big game hunting. The .30-06 requires a long action bolt rifle, while the .308, a short action. The .30-06 is usually the round found in the Garand. The .308 is found in the AR platform. Ammo is still pretty plentiful for both, but the .30-06 has a little edge at the retail level, since the .308, I believe, is a little more popular. It really boils down to what platform you want for the cartridge. If I wanted a .30 caliber high powered rifle, I wouldn't worry too much in which caliber it was chambered. I would give a slight edge to the .30-06 for elk, bear or moose hunting, if those were the only two caliber options.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For the same reason the 308 is not legal for deer hunting in IN.

Actually, this is not quite right. You are correct in that a .308 or 30-06 are illegal to hunt deer with in Indiana, but only in a long gun format.

For whatever unknown reason, it has been determined to be safe (enough) to use these calibers from a handgun. :n00b:

I know, I know, .308 and 30-06 are rifle rounds. The problem there is, I have a Savage Striker in .308 Winchester. It is a handgun with a 14" barrel, bi-pod, and scope.
    I've considered using it on a deer, but have yet to take it out. I have too many other choices from handguns to rifles to shotguns.
    Since the vast majority of my shots on deer come in at less than 50 yards I have no real justification for a "long-range" choice.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Lots of interesting information, and misinformation. I wouldn't blame the OP if he decided both of these rounds were too much hassle to bother with! :)

Fact of the matter is the '06 has greater case capacity and the 308 runs at higher pressures. When bullet weight gets up to 200 grains or more, case capacity wins and the "Old Warhorse" out-performs the "New Hotness".

For someone living and hunting in Indiana, choosing between these two cartridges is easy; pick the rifle you like the best. For all intents and purposes expressed, there is NO difference between them. Now, if you lived and hunted in AK or ME or any place where you might draw a tag for a truly large critter, the ability to shoot heavier bullets with more energy would be a slight advantage.

I own two 30-'06 rifles and one 308. One of these rifles is set up strictly for target shooting, and does an admirable job of it. The other two are hunting rifles. Which is which? Well, just like the distinction between these rounds, and pretty much this entire thread...it simply doesn't matter.

I will say this much, in conclusion: If I lost all of my rifles in a fire and could choose but 1 cartridge to hunt all big game with, for the rest of my life, it would be a quality bolt-action in 30-'06. To put it bluntly, it can do absolutely EVERYTHING a 308 can do...and just a wee bit more. Efficiency and recoil are not determining factors in this discussion...the '06 wins, hands down.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    What animals have you pointed a 30-06 Sprg at, that you would not a 308 Win?

Not that 308 Win wins much, but it beats 30-06 Sprg in a variety of important ways.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    What animals have you pointed a 30-06 Sprg at, that you would not a 308 Win?

Not that 308 Win wins much, but it beats 30-06 Sprg in a variety of important ways.

I challenge you to go ahead and list some. The ONLY advantage the 308 has is that it's more efficient; creating nearly the same velocity with less powder.

However, if you fire both from modern rifles, at similar pressures, instead of holding back on the '06 case, the difference between them becomes truly noteworthy. Keep in mind that several of the 30-'06 offspring run at ~65,000psi, and that the ONLY reason to limit your '06 handloads to SAAMI spec of ~58,000 is for safety in older rifles.

I'm not knocking the 308 Winchester...it's a fine cartridge. It's just NOT as good as the '06 in any real world kind of way. It's not far behind, but it IS behind in basically every measurable category.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I challenge you to go ahead and list some. The ONLY advantage the 308 has is that it's more efficient; creating nearly the same velocity with less powder.

To wit 30-06 Sprg can't:
    - fit into a short action
    - relative to a 308 Win, occupy the same or shorter overall length rifle given same LOP and barrel length
    - as above, but for weight
    - at a given round count and bullet, weigh less
    - as above, but for volume
    - when both are built on a long action, offer the same COAL latitude

I'll certainly grant that it offers more in the way of fireballs, powder consumption, recoil energy, and boom. All to eek out minuscule performance advantages over a same caliber alternative, both of which are handily whipped in every meaningful way by a variety of alternate chamberings in calibers starting with 0.2.

Though 308 Win comes out on top in this contest I'm certainly on board with knocking it. Aside from people who are issued one, choices being easy when you don't have any, I can't understand the motivation to make those concessions. If questions here are any evidence it results from inverting the rifle selection criteria, but it is a puzzling choice none the less.

Top Bottom