• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    There is no room for debate here. You are morally and legally required to keep your dogs home. The responsibility lies 100% with the dog owner.

Am I sad for the dogs? yes

Am I sad for the owner? if the dog's escape was a one-time event, yes. If they have been out before and she took no serious measure to keep them home, it was just a matter of time how/when they were injured and how much damage they did first.

I get really sick of people with the attitude "don't shoot my dogs; they're good people" which is akin to saying "I'm gonna do what I want with everyone else's property by letting my dogs run loose".

As a person who spends my days dealing with life and quality of life for pets, I don't know if I could ever shoot a dog. But I'm darn tired of neighbor dogs and stray dogs scaring people, killing my poultry, pooping in my lawn, and ruining our hunts. My own dogs are kept on our property; on the rare occasion they have gotten loose we take immediate action to find them.

ETA: One of the main reasons we are getting a livestock guardian dog is simply to keep other people's dogs off our property. I've lost my patience with loose dogs. I ran into my neighbor at the local restaurant and she told me "I got a new black coondog; he might be wandering around". I said bluntly "keep him home so my dogs don't hurt him. My current ones aren't tolerant of visiting dogs."

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    They are attacking him hard enough that he as scrubbed his website of most everything and had his phone disconnected. They have started a national petition to badger the local authorities to charge him in spite of not having done anything illegal, dumped tons of slander on social media, issued a raft of violent threats, and my guess is that it is probably inherently dangerous for him to walk out the front door, especially unarmed.

To a certain extent, the man did make his own bed. I'm more of a hard-liner about dog-owner responsibility than most, but I also believe that when you open your door wide and invite karma in to your life, sometimes karma craps on the floor. There was more than one way for him to have solved his problem, and he chose a way that any reasonable person could have seen would have repercussions. He's just finding out the hard way that the dog's owner has a bit more recourse than what he originally thought.

Sounds like he's a tough-guy problem solver; he'll be fine.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    To a certain extent, the man did make his own bed. I'm more of a hard-liner about dog-owner responsibility than most, but I also believe that when you open your door wide and invite karma in to your life, sometimes karma craps on the floor. There was more than one way for him to have solved his problem, and he chose a way that any reasonable person could have seen would have repercussions. He's just finding out the hard way that the dog's owner has a bit more recourse than what he originally thought.

How do you figure? He tried to run them off and they wouldn't. Was he supposed to stand back and watch? If any predator, four-legged or two-legged threatened my alpacas, I would have a difficult time showing as much restraint as he did.

Would you feel the same way if you had to shoot a burglar and found yourself on the receiving end of national-scale harassment for it? After all, you could have offered to buy him a cheeseburger and discussed his behavior.

So far as I am concerned, the only thing the man did wrong is that he failed to shoot the b*tch who really needed it in addition to the others.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    How do you figure? He tried to run them off and they wouldn't. Was he supposed to stand back and watch? If any predator, four-legged or two-legged threatened my alpacas, I would have a difficult time showing as much restraint as he did.

Would you feel the same way if you had to shoot a burglar and found yourself on the receiving end of national-scale harassment for it? After all, you could have offered to buy him a cheeseburger and discussed his behavior.

So far as I am concerned, the only thing the man did wrong is that he failed to shoot the b*tch who really needed it in addition to the others.

Here's what I'm saying. I have a neighbor who, himself has three fewer dogs than he did this time last year, and you never heard anything about it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Here's what I'm saying. I have a neighbor who, himself has three fewer dogs than he did this time last year, and you never heard anything about it.

I would be willing to bet that this neighbor who is three dogs light did not start a national sh*tstorm declaring that killing the little darlings was 'murder of family members' and the shooter should face criminal charges in spite of no legal wrong-doing, and engage in a campaign of malicious harassment. That woman should be on her knees thanking whatever supernatural power she may believe in that this man is as patient as he is.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I would be willing to bet that this neighbor who is three dogs light did not start a national sh*tstorm declaring that killing the little darlings was 'murder of family members'.

That's because, although my problem was very similar to the man in Demotte's, I was able to solve mine with no blood shed. It took more patience, time, and trouble, but you see the difference in result.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's because, although my problem was very similar to the man in Demotte's, I was able to solve mine with no blood shed. It took more patience, time, and trouble, but you see the difference in result.

OK, the dogs are in the process of digging their way under your fence. Your efforts to run them off fail. If they breach the fence there WILL be bloodshed, be it the dogs or your animals. Please tell me how you propose to deal with this, and why you seem to feel that the man was obligated to do something other than he did.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    the guy's stepson reportedly take the picture of the carcasses and put it on snapchat, then someone uploaded it to a FB "lost dog" site the owner had posted on. Therein lies the problem.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    the guy's stepson reportedly take the picture of the carcasses and put it on snapchat, then someone uploaded it to a FB "lost dog" site the owner had posted on. Therein lies the problem.

Yep. I am on said "lost dog" site, and it wasn't pretty. That is the problem I have with it more than the shooting itself.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This frustrates me to no end. I have had farm animals killed by neighbors dogs that jumped our fences, even after I repeatedly asked them to keep them contained. Ask yourself what you would do if I had a 100-pound rooster and it came over in your yard and was pecking your pets to death. Our farm animals were pets, no less than your dogs.
    Once dogs get together, they have the pack mentality and will do things you never thought they were capable of. I have seen it with the cute cuddly neighbor dogs that used to head for my house as soon as the neighbors left for work.
    Not that it should matter, but the deer farmer may be raising them as livestock. Indiana does have bison, elk, and deer farms for the commercial market. Just chasing the animals can stress them enough to kill them. Biting them can cause damage enough that the animal or animals have to be put down. And dogs rarely stop at one animal. Entire herds of goats, sheep, or other farm animals have been slain buy "friendly" pets.
    The local LEOs told me that that pet owner can be liable for fines amounting to three times the value of the animal damaged or slain.
    The point is, your dog isn't cute and lovable to me so keep it on your own property.

Agree. I've had Huskies and if they had got out and was that far from home doing this I wouldn't have a problem with the guy protecting his deer by shooting them. FB is going crazy, like he had a fence they couldn't get in so why shoot them…..read for awhile but too many pet idiots for me. I think the problem was this guy may be somehow involved with DNR, his son posted pictures of dead dogs,…..and much more by "pet lovers" but hard to sort out what is fact and isn't. I got a deer farm and dogs trying to get at them and chasing around the fence are going to get shot. I would expect the same as I said earlier…..keep your "pets" on your property. I got a new neighbor now when ever they leave their 3 trashy mutts all over the place, chasing deer across the field and coming on my property……may be a little talk with the guy here before long….and then dogs may disappear if that doesn't work.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    You apparently haven't seen the campaign of terror they are waging on this guy.

Wait, when I said

People, if you ever get in this situation please practice the 3S method.
    Shoot
    Shovel
    SHUTUP.

I was told

Since IC 15-20-2 makes the dog's owner strictly liable for damages as well as costs and attorney's fees, that might not be the best approach to dealing with livestock killing dogs.

And I argued

Even when your 100% in the right a morally outraged lynch mob does not care. They will harass you at home, when you go out, at work, and on any social media you are on.

Only to be corrected

There are ways to take care of that as well.

I seem to recall that harassment is illegal.

But now

The information I can find on the IC regarding harassment and stalking is clear as mud. So far, we have had threats, slanderous social media posts in massive quantities, a change.org petition aimed at the police and prosecutor to charge the guy for offending their sensibilities in spite of having done nothing illegal, and the guy has been driven to scrub his website and disconnect his telephone. I am starting to think that the dog owner needs some serious negative corrective attention.

A closer review shows that the irresponsible dog owner is a frequent flyer on change.org. "16 Actions, 2,224 Recruits" sounds pretty busy to me.

So SSS is sounding better now?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    SSS is the BEST solution when you live in the country and raise livestock or have critters that are threatening your family. The last S is the most important one.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wait, when I said

I was told

And I argued

Only to be corrected

But now

So SSS is sounding better now?

No. Some people need to be on the sharp end of the legal system sufficiently that this doesn't happen again. There is no reason why people should be allowed to terrorize someone for engaging in perfectly legal actions that the whiner is responsible for making necessary. It is absolutely unacceptable that this is happening, and some people should be in jail right now, not doing the things they are doing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

So the question now is how to deal with the stepson who started this :poop:storm?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So the question now is how to deal with the stepson who started this :poop:storm?

I would say not. The question is why people engaged in illegal activities are not being addressed. Harassment, stalking, and threats are illegal, and the evidence suggests that all three are happening.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    but I don't feel that the man was obligated to do something other than what he did. All I said was that he should have realized that what he did might have repercussions.

Not trying to add to the drama but I'm sure the thought of repercussions was not in his mindset at the moment. It's great that you worked this out on your own without the media drama that this situation has blown up to. Yesterday a pack of neighbor's dogs were chasing deer thru our property, my wife was riding her horse. The dogs continued on and left the horses alone. I was headed for my rifle. My thoughts were taking care of my wife and horse's....a normal thought. This situation has surpassed normal thought. My dogs stay on my property. That should be the obvious practice with everyone. The outcome has blown into social media feeding frenzy and I feel bad for the guy this happened to, the dogs worry's are over. I didn't read the article and don't plan to.

Top Bottom