• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    That's ridiculous. People really need to learn not to post photos of the dead dogs. Just bury them and forget it. What dog? I didn't see any dog?

Yes, it's foolish to put yourself in the limelight.

I can understand why they do it though.

My experience with people that let their dogs run loose is that when one dog gets killed, they just get another dog who also runs loose. So it continues to be everyone else's problem (especially if you are the person with poultry or sheep. ). I can see why they want to send a message to the OWNER not to keep letting dogs run loose.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yes, it's foolish to put yourself in the limelight.

I can understand why they do it though.

My experience with people that let their dogs run loose is that when one dog gets killed, they just get another dog who also runs loose. So it continues to be everyone else's problem (especially if you are the person with poultry or sheep. ). I can see why they want to send a message to the OWNER not to keep letting dogs run loose.

I understand too, but after seeing a neighbor have to pay thousands in vet bills for a dog she shot in her horse pasture, I learned. I warn people the first time I see their dog(s) here if they are not doing harm. If they are harming my animals, then I am not going to chase them off just to have them return to finish the job when I am not here. SSS is the rule. The last dogs that were here were on my trail cameras for over an hour. I sent pictures with the dates/times to the owner via fb messaging and told them if they are here again, they won't be returning home whether I have to take them to the humane society or handle it otherwise. They have not been back. They do have a buried fence and apparently the batteries in the collars had gone bad. The only other time I have heard other neighbors say they have seen them wandering was during the last power outage. I have grown up with livestock as a part of my life since I was about 5 years old and have seen what dogs can do. It's not pretty even though the owners often refuse to believe that their darling little pets could do such harm.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I understand too, but after seeing a neighbor have to pay thousands in vet bills for a dog she shot in her horse pasture, I learned. I warn people the first time I see their dog(s) here if they are not doing harm. If they are harming my animals, then I am not going to chase them off just to have them return to finish the job when I am not here. SSS is the rule. The last dogs that were here were on my trail cameras for over an hour. I sent pictures with the dates/times to the owner via fb messaging and told them if they are here again, they won't be returning home whether I have to take them to the humane society or handle it otherwise. They have not been back. They do have a buried fence and apparently the batteries in the collars had gone bad. The only other time I have heard other neighbors say they have seen them wandering was during the last power outage. I have grown up with livestock as a part of my life since I was about 5 years old and have seen what dogs can do. It's not pretty even though the owners often refuse to believe that their darling little pets could do such harm.

Did the neighbor HAVE to pay the vet bill or did she choose to? Indiana law is pretty direct about another animal coming on your property, in spite of all the hub-bub being raised against the recent dog shooting.

Even in states where the law is different, you as a livestock owner would typically win a lawsuit. Remember also that dogs rarely have financial value in court.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Be responsible with your dogs and this won't happen.

Gee whiz! You're going to go and get all rational on us? Next thing you know, you will be telling us that if you don't break into people's houses, you won't get shot; If you don't get higher than a Georgia pine on your own product, you won't call the Idaho state police and turn yourself in for transporting; If you practice positive zipper control, you won't get STDs; and if you don't spend all your money on booze and dope, you might actually have enough money to eat regularly!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Did the neighbor HAVE to pay the vet bill or did she choose to? Indiana law is pretty direct about another animal coming on your property, in spite of all the hub-bub being raised against the recent dog shooting.

Even in states where the law is different, you as a livestock owner would typically win a lawsuit. Remember also that dogs rarely have financial value in court.

The dog she shot was a wolf mix and she was court ordered to pay in the area of $5,000 for vet bills/surgeries on the dog. This was a dog with a well-documented history of running loose.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The dog she shot was a wolf mix and she was court ordered to pay in the area of $5,000 for vet bills/surgeries on the dog. This was a dog with a well-documented history of running loose.

Should have ended the dog.
    Would have been far less expensive and not near as much trouble.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Should have ended the dog.
    Would have been far less expensive and not near as much trouble.

Yep. Apparently, her aim was not good and she wounded it and it made it home. Her mistake was calling them to warn them to keep it home after that.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Two things sound wrong about that story. First, the issue we have already discussed here that there isn't much legal protection for an animal on someone else's property.

Secondly, wolf hybrids are specially regulated. There is no approved rabies vaccine for them, and in Indiana you are required to keep them in a specific enclosure (6 foot height as I recall). So either someone is misinforming you about the details of the case or your neighbor had a really bad lawyer.

The owner of a wolf hybrid that allows it to get loose is subject to either misdemeanor or criminal charges, depending on circumstances.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Two things sound wrong about that story. First, the issue we have already discussed here that there isn't much legal protection for an animal on someone else's property.

Secondly, wolf hybrids are specially regulated. There is no approved rabies vaccine for them, and in Indiana you are required to keep them in a specific enclosure (6 foot height as I recall). So either someone is misinforming you about the details of the case or your neighbor had a really bad lawyer.

Nope. I knew the dog owners well and knew the dog. He roamed often and far. They had prior warnings about his roaming and would let him loose anytime they were home. I also know the neighbor who shot it, and heard both sides of the story from both parties. I was friends with both but certainly did not agree with the dog owners belief that their dogs (their German Shepherd roamed with the other one) should be able to run since they "never hurt anything".

She may have had a bad lawyer. I didn't know the lawyer she used.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So it appears that they did an investigation and the last I see about the 3 dogs is from the 9th saying he was well within his rights to protect his property and case is closed. I also see their emotional filled change. org petition has lost steam as the emotions faded away and people moved on to the next emotional story they could bungle up.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    So it appears that they did an investigation and the last I see about the 3 dogs is from the 9th saying he was well within his rights to protect his property and case is closed. I also see their emotional filled change. org petition has lost steam as the emotions faded away and people moved on to the next emotional story they could bungle up.

Unfortunately, they have already done a significant amount of harm to the guy that shot the dogs' business and caused him plenty of distress.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Arhh.
    I got sucked into a Facebook argument.

Woman thought she'd be smart and changed the equation by changing dog to children.
    So I continued it, and asked if the children were tearing her apart.

Top Bottom