• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a problem with someone who provides caged animals and profits from it by allowing some "Hunter" to come in and kill it while caged, Yes!

You've made a huge assumption about someone who may just raise deer because he likes them in order to bring up a pet peeve. Liberal tactics at their best.
    I'm ashamed for you.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You've made a huge assumption about someone who may just raise deer because he likes them in order to bring up a pet peeve. Liberal tactics at their best.
    I'm ashamed for you.

I took a quick glance at the article and fb page and there is NO information one way or the other stating why he has caged deer. You sir, et al, made a huge assumption yourselves that he Isn't raising them to cage hunt just as I did when I said "probably". To quote you, "Liberal tactics at their best". Funny how when someone who does it but supports your side is righteous but when someone who does it that doesn't support your side is a "liberal". I made a statement regarding canned hunting, it's an opinion. If my opinion so offends you well, oops, I've already gotten over it! I'm not ashamed for you, I'm used to it by now.:runaway::lmfao:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    What it all boils down to is this:

If you care at all about your dog and if you don't want to be a rude and thoughtless neighbor, you will keep your dog secured.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I took a quick glance at the article and fb page and there is NO information one way or the other stating why he has caged deer. You sir, et al, made a huge assumption yourselves that he Isn't raising them to cage hunt just as I did when I said "probably". To quote you, "Liberal tactics at their best". Funny how when someone who does it but supports your side is righteous but when someone who does it that doesn't support your side is a "liberal". I made a statement regarding canned hunting, it's an opinion. If my opinion so offends you well, oops, I've already gotten over it! I'm not ashamed for you, I'm used to it by now.:runaway::lmfao:

It really is ironic how you slam this guy for pointing out your accusations based entirely upon wild assumptions.
    I already posted about two people I know who kept fenced deer as pets, yet you can't help yourself by expecting the worst of someone else who has fenced deer.
    So yes, it's not really much of a stretch to compare that thought process to how libs/SJW behave.
    Own it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I would be very upset as well if they were my dogs but I would be upset at myself. The dogs were doing what dogs do, the person who shot them had every right and the dog owner failed to look after the safety of their animals. There is no other way to look at it as a logical person.

This. Everything else is emotional drama propagated by folks letting their emotions cloud their logic and understanding of how the real world works.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It really is ironic how you slam this guy for pointing out your accusations based entirely upon wild assumptions.
    I already posted about two people I know who kept fenced deer as pets, yet you can't help yourself by expecting the worst of someone else who has fenced deer.
    So yes, it's not really much of a stretch to compare that thought process to how libs/SJW behave.
    Own it.

My point exactly. Thank you, somebody gets it!!! I do like the "WILD ASSUMPTIONS" part though. "OMG, HE'S RAISING ISIS DEER":runaway:And way too much effort is going into people attacking me because I don't approve of caged hunts. I didn't know so many of you cared about MY opinion of caged hunts!! Must be a REALLY S-L-O-W Saturday morning. I got things to do today so I'm outta here but have fun with me!:rockwoot:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Funny that you prejudge the guy with the fenced deer so readily.
    Growing up, my school bus driver had several types of exotic animals fenced just because he liked them, some Rheas and Emus (large flightless birds) and some Fallow deer.
    He didn't allow anyone to hunt them.
    Another guy about three miles east of New Castle on Outer Drive had several Fallow deer fenced, again just because he liked having them there.
    Both guys lived well within the boundaries of Henry County, so it's pretty likely that there other people out there who have fenced deer for the same reason.

Exactly! My guess is those deer weren't going to get hunted, they get butchered as meat. Farm raised deer burger brings around $10 per lb retail. Think what steaks and such are worth!

I'd have shot em after all other methods of trying to run them off failed. No roaming azz dog is gonna take $ from my pocket or food from my family.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    These dogs were running loose off their home place and trying to dig under the fence to get at the deer.
    Unfortunate situation, but the property owner did have the right to protect the deer.

FOR example, I rent a pasture to a man to raise cattle.
    I tell him if any dogs mess with his cattle, I stand behind his right to shoot them if he needs to.

When dog owners allow their dogs to run loose, they take the risk they won't come home.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Again, since some folks are rather clueless and lack reading comprehension..........

the deer owner valued his livestock at ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

That is NOT a meat deer. Nor is it penned for somebody to shoot.

That is most probably a breeder deer. Of substantial proven rack growth. Sell the sheds yearly (for ?) and the semen for other breeders.

Nowhere did I read that he raised deer to be shot in canned hunts.

Others might buy his buck's juice to increase the rack potential in their herd.............and they might offer canned hunts (or legit ones).

But that doesn't say diddly squat about the deer that was threatened by the dogs.

Now just what a shed rack is worth? Or one that's then mounted? Heard one taxidermist recently say he could take a shed 200" rack, cape, do a mount and get 3K for it.
    Dunno if that high or low. IIRC he said by themselves, around 600 bucks.

20 years ago the market was crazy. Now with more breeders...........it's gotta be a monster. or something odd, think F&S did a blog about some guy dropping a few K for a funky shed.
    Of course shed antlers don't qual for B&C.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    This incident just shows how bad self-absorption has gotten in this country. Everyone loves just those laws that they agree with, other laws that they don't agree with are horrible and should be changed. Way too many people slamming the deer guy from not having better fencing, but giving the owner a pass on her fencing. I don't care if her yard washed away, her home didn't, so why weren't the dogs inside or inside the garage if she has one? If the rumors of the dogs being loose before are true, they should have never been outside the home if not on some sort of leash or chain or a completely contained (fenced in on all sides) outbuilding. Additionally, those people who posted specific and serious threats, which I read have sense been deleted but one person said they have a screen capture, should be investigated for intimidation if requested by the deer owner. I also wonder if the local LEs should forward that information to ISP to see if their LTCH should be revoked if such poster has one?

As far as the guy shooting the dogs, this is a lesson for everyone. He might have been within the law, but that doesn't make his course of action the best choice. Given with how social media is today, one who is in business might want to consider the best course of action to take before taking such action. If I were a business owner I would consider media attention when considering certain actions to take. I don't know all the facts in this case, but maybe a better course of action would have been some bear spray? Paint ball rounds? Rubber shotgun rounds? Pepper ball rounds?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Years ago, dog owners would put their own animals down if they attacked livestock even once. It was said that once they tasted blood, they would always want to go back for more. They could never be trusted again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    OK, so I own livestock, fenced, on my property and because others might be irresponsible and have access to social media I am to buy pepper ball guns, have extra fencing, wear a video camera at all times, have every type of agency on my smart phone, kept on me at all times..............or I'm to be of fault?

I can't type what I really want to say.

The lack of logic, the irresponsibility, the threats and other on the FB posts...............

I wish more people would reach a certain point of stupidity and then spontaneously combust.
    Talk about some global warming!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW a pack of strays killed and partially ate a little kid around New Haven (35 or so yrs back).
    Pet pitbull killed a girl around Kokomo a couple yrs ago.

Real friggin' simple..............control your animal.

If you can't, others will.

Social media................it aint just ISIS that uses it to terrorize. When somebody is in the wrong, knows it, and then takes to social media to raise hell...........whoever does that should be held accountable for the mess that follows.

These morons assume they can be all the jerk they want to be and everybody else is always gonna play by the rules.

Those that push it, and get more than they bargained.............don't feel sorry one bit.

Eh, such idiots just want an event, are playing the FB/LE lottery.

Their friends and family support such behavior, they are worth more dead than alive.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think I am going to answer questions with questions:

1. The canned hunt thing. If we presume this wild-ass assumption to be true, how is it relevant? You don't like canned hunts, therefore the property owner is not entitled to protect his property? Well, let's say someone is stealing/attempting to steal your guns. Shannon Watts doesn't think you should have those evil guns in the first place, so would you agree that you are not entitled to do anything about the burglars/thieves/robbers?

2. The quality of the deer fence. If it is incumbent on the property owner to build a fence that cannot be breached, are you to blame if your home is burglarized because you did not buy adequate locks, bars on the windows, or make other arrangements sufficient to make your home literally burglar-proof, and therefore the burglar also gets a free legal pass because the problem is your negligence in defense, not his dishonesty in stealing from you?

3. The 'dogs as pets and/or family members' thing. It seems that we have had the same discussion in principle many times on INGO. If you are attacked by a two-legged predator, should you be prohibited from defending yourself because he is some drippy emotional woman's son? A 'good' boy? Was 'turning his life around'? Do you accept that any of these or any other asinine emotional arguments justify the notion that you should just stand there and be victimized because the perp is someone's son and that someone is unwilling to accept the notion that her little angel can do no wrong even though he has a rap sheet longer than my arm?

So now, remind me why any of this nonsense is even the subject of discussion. The dogs escaped, they threatened livestock, they got shot for it. Why are we playing 'pin the tail on the donkey' with the landowner who, by all rights, is entitled not to be bothered with this sh*t on his own property in the first place?

Top Bottom