• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My grandpa has his Garand by the back door on the farm, specifically to shoot stray dogs coming at the livestock.
    It was normal back then.

But people used to see pets as animals, not humans.

By the way, to be regionally specific in political correctness..............the dogs in the OP article were not shot.

They were Demotted.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I can see both sides about the shooting, really. What I don't like is that apparently the shooter piled up the dogs' dead bodies and burned them, and posted pictures on social media, where the owner saw them. Totally classless and downright cruel.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A colleague did a month in Alaska in an ER. A common complaint was sled dog bite. They were concerned about rabies so they wanted to know where the dog was. Every single time the answer was "I shot it and threw it in the river"

I have said it many times in these threads. I grew up around farm folks. Once a dog served no purpose or got after the livestock it was put down right away.
    I understand how dogs are considered family. Beyond that these animals apparently did not like staying home and no, a 3 year old Husky is no puppy by any measure.

Now that said, I hope this thread does not go off the emotional rails.
    Most of these do. This one will not. OK.........Seriously.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can see both sides about the shooting, really. What I don't like is that apparently the shooter piled up the dogs' dead bodies and burned them, and posted pictures on social media, where the owner saw them. Totally classless and downright cruel.

It wasn't the shooter who posted the pictures as I understood the article. Otherwise, I would have addressed that point myself.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The shooter is not who took or posted the pictures. It explicitly says they were taken/posted without his permission.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Pretty much what Indy Dave said.

Several years ago a neighbor threatened to shoot my dogs. Given the situation, he would have been within his rights. I told him I wished he wouldn't, but that I understood. If he had, I would've buried and mourned my dogs, and moved on. It is the dogs' owner's responsibility to keep her animals on her own property, just like it was mine. If we fail in this and our pets threaten livestock, the consequences lie on us, not the person who defends his property.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Tossing a dead animal on the burn pile.............not an uncommon rural happening.

He solved a problem and cleaned it up (burn=disposal).

He didn't skin and tan them, make a coat and present it to her as a gift.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If anyone has ever had to shoot pack dogs on a farm, some with collars, They might see this a bit differently.......might.

This hits close to home. I grew up near Greenfield, and my dog was killed by a sheep farmer. She was with a pack of dogs killing his sheep. The farmer came to our house, told my Dad. He could have sued my Dad for the loss, but let it go. I was pissed and wanted revenge, but my Dad set me set me straight. It is what it is...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I get the feeling it was someone at his home who took the pic and snap chatted it. Then someone posted that, but not entirely sure. The line "this is what I get to come home to" with three dogs in the back of a truck.

he had removed the collars and intended to return them to the owner. The post-shooting events seem a bit strange to me.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    For those who are so hung up on the description of the mother dog and her three-year-old "puppies", how many of you have grown "kids", and if so, what do you call them?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

I think the DNR has a law about disposing the bodies of dead animals where livestock are being raised. I beleive to prevent disease, the deceased need to be disposed of within 24 hours. While burning the bodies seems cruel, it is a recommended method of disposal according to the DNR. It is also about the lease backbreaking method.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I can still see a couple of the scars from a dog bite when I was a toddler.
    Won't own a mean or destructive animal.
    Refuse to let somebody else's mess with me or my stuff.

I have a bunch of stray cats and a couple of dogs in my neighborhood. Not really strays but their hillbilly owners won't keep them fenced or inside. They tend to be noisy, ornery............they don't listen to commands from their owners.

They do mind me.

And most times come over and get a treat or hang out. Decent critters, idiot A hole owners.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    For those who are so hung up on the description of the mother dog and her three-year-old "puppies", how many of you have grown "kids", and if so, what do you call them?

I see it as a distinction of a different sort--not addressing the emotional attachment but rather the implication by some that a 'puppy' in the narrow sense is not a threat to livestock, similar to my statement that I am not likely to shoot a Yorkie as a threat to my alpacas, but a (presumably grown) doberman would be a different story.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One neighbor had dog that would bark and growl.
    It'd often get loose.
    So when raking leaves I strapped on my Commander.

Odd, they fixed their fence and the dog hasn't gotten loose again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can still see a couple of the scars from a dog bite when I was a toddler.
    Won't own a mean or destructive animal.
    Refuse to let somebody else's mess with me or my stuff.

I have a bunch of stray cats and a couple of dogs in my neighborhood. Not really strays but their hillbilly owners won't keep them fenced or inside. They tend to be noisy, ornery............they don't listen to commands from their owners.

They do mind me.

And most times come over and get a treat or hang out. Decent critters, idiot A hole owners.

:yesway:

Top Bottom