• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If anyone has ever had to shoot pack dogs on a farm, some with collars, They might see this a bit differently.......might.
    Yeah, or had to shoot a lamb or two in the head as it drags it's intestines or paralyzed hindquarters behind it, screams in pain and tries to get away...

Im with you CM, more people need to spend time seeing where their meat comes from.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think the DNR has a law about disposing the bodies of dead animals where livestock are being raised. I beleive to prevent disease, the deceased need to be disposed of within 24 hours. While burning the bodies seems cruel, it is a recommended method of disposal according to the DNR. It is also about the lease backbreaking method.

Not my point. My point was about posting pictures of someone's dead dogs on social media.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I see it as a distinction of a different sort--not addressing the emotional attachment but rather the implication by some that a 'puppy' in the narrow sense is not a threat to livestock, similar to my statement that I am not likely to shoot a Yorkie as a threat to my alpacas, but a (presumably grown) doberman would be a different story.

Not really my point. When they said the dogs were a mother and her three-year-old puppies, a bunch of people piled on and said how a three-year-old dog is not a puppy. My point is that your (hypothetical) 20- and 24-year-old son and daughter are not kids, but you still call them your kids.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The lynch mob on FB is funny but boils my blood to the point of having a heart attack. Even if the law is correct and due process has run its course its still not good enough due to their "FEELINGS"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, or had to shoot a lamb or two in the head as it drags it's intestines or paralyzed hindquarters behind it as it screams in pain and tries to get away...

Im with you CM, more people need to spend time seeing where their meat comes from.

Dogs are really just.....Dogs.....no more or less.
    Like cats they can be loving (yes a cat can do this) cuddly and show emotion.
    Let a cat or a dog out and they become.........Dogs and cats.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not really my point. When they said the dogs were a mother and her three-year-old puppies, a bunch of people piled on and said how a three-year-old dog is not a puppy. My point is that your (hypothetical) 20- and 24-year-old son and daughter are not kids, but you still call them your kids.

Point made. I call my "Kids" many things depending....:)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The times article seems to want to stir emotions than stick to facts.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I understand your point, but the issue being addressed is that in terms of assessing destructive capability, a 3 year old Husky is not a puppy, it is a grown dog, and a very serious threat to stock, as opposed to being a puppy in the sense of not grown. The issue being addressed is much like that of the media showing pictures of Trayvon Martin as an angelic-looking child and not as a grown hoodlum with the physical capability of knocking the living hell out of someone, as the case was at that time of his demise.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    What exactly does the familial relationships of the dogs running in a pack have to do with the legality or rightness of how this was handled? (Unless of course one is pandering for sympathy that your dogs you failed to restrain got shot)

The whole mother/puppies thing is nothing more than a blatant attempt to sell a case on social media because the law is squarely against you.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    People, if you ever get in this situation please practice the 3S method.
    Shoot
    Shovel
    SHUTUP.

Since IC 15-20-2 makes the dog's owner strictly liable for damages as well as costs and attorney's fees, that might not be the best approach to dealing with livestock killing dogs.

This is the rule we follow. Ideally, I would love to advise the owners of why and where their dogs ended up or return the bodies so they could bury them, but after seeing a neighbor have to pay out a lot of money to someone whose wolf/dog was chasing her horses when she shot it, I have had to reevaluate this. Her mistake was not killing the dog. It returned home with a bullet in it and she ended up pay for surgeries, etc. to fix the dog only to have it continue to run the neighborhood freely until they finally moved away and took that dog with them.

I see it as a distinction of a different sort--not addressing the emotional attachment but rather the implication by some that a 'puppy' in the narrow sense is not a threat to livestock, similar to my statement that I am not likely to shoot a Yorkie as a threat to my alpacas, but a (presumably grown) doberman would be a different story.

The last mutt that I had attacking my chickens and guineas was small enough I could scoop it up under my arm and drive it home to its owners. I was going to shoot it but my husband stopped me saying he knew who it belonged to because it had been here one other time when I had not been home. He called the vet on the dog's tag and asked who the owner was and returned it that day. When I took the dog home, the owner told me I should have shot it. I told him he could if he wanted to but in the meantime he owed me for a bunch of dead chickens. He came over, viewed the scene and handed me $100. I haven't seen that dog again since. Little dogs can do a lot of damage too. We had them attack our 4-H rabbits through their cages when I was growing up...a pack of five little dogs...we had 28 rabbits to butcher and/or euthanize as s some were too damaged to butcher. Some were skinned alive. Some had their legs pulled through the cage floors and broken. Rabbits were screaming and dogs were barking...that was a fun morning...NOT!

This was not the first time these dogs "got out" of their pen. The owner was responsible for keeping them home. She failed.

I did not see anywhere that these deer were being raised for canned hunts or even that they are white tailed deer. There are other types of deer...I believe fallow deer is one type raised by others in our area. We have a lady in our town that raises deer for pets. I can't remember what type they are, but she used to show me pictures of them all the time and they were not white tailed and she certainly did not allow anyone to hunt her "babies".

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is the rule we follow. Ideally, I would love to advise the owners of why and where their dogs ended up or return the bodies so they could bury them, but after seeing a neighbor have to pay out a lot of money to someone whose wolf/dog was chasing her horses when she shot it, I have had to reevaluate this. Her mistake was not killing the dog. It returned home with a bullet in it and she ended up pay for surgeries, etc. to fix the dog only to have it continue to run the neighborhood freely until they finally moved away and took that dog with them.

The last mutt that I had attacking my chickens and guineas was small enough I could scoop it up under my arm and drive it home to its owners. I was going to shoot it but my husband stopped me saying he knew who it belonged to because it had been here one other time when I had not been home. He called the vet on the dog's tag and asked who the owner was and returned it that day. When I took the dog home, the owner told me I should have shot it. I told him he could if he wanted to but in the meantime he owed me for a bunch of dead chickens. He came over, viewed the scene and handed me $100. I haven't seen that dog again since. Little dogs can do a lot of damage too. We had them attack our 4-H rabbits through their cages when I was growing up...a pack of five little dogs...we had 28 rabbits to butcher and/or euthanize as s some were too damaged to butcher. Some were skinned alive. Some had their legs pulled through the cage floors and broken. Rabbits were screaming and dogs were barking...that was a fun morning...NOT!

This was not the first time these dogs "got out" of their pen. The owner was responsible for keeping them home. She failed.

I did not see anywhere that these deer were being raised for canned hunts or even that they are white tailed deer. There are other types of deer...I believe fallow deer is one type raised by others in our area. We have a lady in our town that raises deer for pets. I can't remember what type they are, but she used to show me pictures of them all the time and they were not white tailed and she certainly did not allow anyone to hunt her "babies".

All true. I was staying specific to this situation. I can see a smaller dog being hell on chickens and rabbits. You are also right about the complete absence of information regarding the deer and the supply of one's own details. Not only are there plenty of purposes and varieties other than whitetails for canned hunts, it is completely irrelevant, although I felt the need to address the matter previously to establish that irrelevance. As for your example of the lady raising deer for pets, I feel the same way about my alpacas--and will be absolutely ruthless with any predators of any type.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    People, if you ever get in this situation please practice the 3S method.
    Shoot
    Shovel
    SHUTUP.

Since IC 15-20-2 makes the dog's owner strictly liable for damages as well as costs and attorney's fees, that might not be the best approach to dealing with livestock killing dogs.

The lynch mob on FB is funny but boils my blood to the point of having a heart attack. Even if the law is correct and due process has run its course its still not good enough due to their "FEELINGS"

Even when your 100% in the right a morally outraged lynch mob does not care. They will harass you at home, when you go out, at work, and on any social media you are on.

Top Bottom