• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Caught a Malcolm Reed video last week about cooking filets on a BGE using the aluminum Grill Grates. It got me curious so I watched a few more videos about them and decided to give them a shot. The claims are better grill marks, more even heat distribution, reduces flare up issues and you can flip it over and use the flat backside (with small holes throughout) to cook veggies, fish or whatever.

I failed to get the egg hot enough due to the weather conditions and my humidity soaked charcoal so it didn't go as I'd hoped but I am pleased at this point. Zero flare up issues as the flames don't get to the meat directly other than little tickles through the holes. The grill marks are definitely improved over what I typically get as well. Kind of tough to judge heat distribution just yet with only two filets on there but they cooked evenly without my needing to pay attention to the coals and hot spots so that was a nice benefit.

They showed up in three different colors but they'll all be black soon enough once they season. No rust is a huge plus for me as well, I can maintain cast iron fine indoors but anything I use outside tends to get trashed quickly. Not cheap but the quality seems good enough. If I had one improvement it would be some way to flip the three interlocking pieces together so the entire thing could be moved as one unit. As it works now that would be tricky due to the way they attach/slide together.

Figured I'd share in case anyone else had been looking at them. It's entirely possible someone else has already posted about them, I think they've been around for about five years.

SiJXq5Jh.jpg

JwZYfcyh.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had better luck with the charcoal this evening. Tried some boneless, skinless chicken breasts and I was very pleasantly surprised. I've never been a big fan of a lot of browning, especially on skinless chicken but these offer just the right amount. There's definitely something more than meets they eye with these things. Threw some veggies on for salsa while I was heating up the grill.

rvS4BdQh.jpg

Xdj2GAAh.mp4

RLTDSFdh.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bbq chicken breasts with rice and fresh corn off the cob tonight (leftover corn on the cob from last night) 1 breast was significantly bigger than the other.....lol.....so just snapped a Pic of the one as I pulled it off the weber

1000003639.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have 2 Recteq grills, the Bull and the BullseyeX. The Bull is a smoker that can grill. The BullseyeX is a grill that can smoke.

I have always used the Bull for long, overnight cooks. But since the wife wanted a single pork butt cooked, I decided to give it whirl on the BullseyeX.

So far, so good. Put it on at 9 last night, looking good at 5:30 this morning. And I'm super impressed with how few pellets it's burned up. Might have to do this more often...

9zl9JJnl.jpg

maXytm0l.jpg

Temp isn't as stable as it would be in the Bull, but besides the initial spike at start up and the drop when I opened the lid to peek this morning, it's held pretty close to the 250° set point...

Q0h7PQnl.png

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Wife got a slab of ribs out of the deep freezer for tomorrow. Got home from work and they're dated as use by May 21st of 2020. Not sure how those slipped thru the crack of my rotation practices.

Definitely not chanching eating those so grabbed a fresher pack out the freezer.

Think I'll smoke a turkey breast Saturday So grabbed that out to thaw as well

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Wife got a slab of ribs out of the deep freezer for tomorrow. Got home from work and they're dated as use by May 21st of 2020. Not sure how those slipped thru the crack of my rotation practices.

Definitely not chanching eating those so grabbed a fresher pack out the freezer.

Think I'll smoke a turkey breast Saturday So grabbed that out to thaw as well
    You have friends and realtions who would be prime candidates to eat those 2020 frozen ribs.

Growing up we had freezer chests and things always go to the bottom that need to be on the top. In my opinion if it has zero freezer burn it will be fine to smoke them. Maybe do both and see what happens. It is Fourth of July so I understand

Then again I am not real picky on food."it will make a turd" .

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm the same. So long as there's no freezer burn it'll be good enough for smokin. I've heard scientists have made meatballs from frozen mamoth flesh and I'm pretty sure it wasn't cryovac'd and is more than a couple of years past the expiration date :lmfao:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You have friends and realtions who would be prime candidates to eat those 2020 frozen ribs.

Growing up we had freezer chests and things always go to the bottom that need to be on the top. In my opinion if it has zero freezer burn it will be fine to smoke them. Maybe do both and see what happens. It is Fourth of July so I understand

Then again I am not real picky on food."it will make a turd" .
    They're vacuum sealed and look good. Haven't thrown em out yet. I may just go ahead a smoke em, along with the ones that are within my 2 yr window from the deep freeze

Top Bottom