• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Isn't Lester Holt a registered Republican? Well, then again, that means something entirely different in NY compared to Indiana.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Is that indicative of bias, indicative of asking for clarification, or indicative of correcting false statements. You can't prove anything based on interruptions, especially since there seems to be differing amounts spending on the source. Trump came to the debate ill-prepared, and it showed. There's no bias when someone doesn't know their stuff, and while "winging it," is asked to clarify.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Is that indicative of bias, indicative of asking for clarification, or indicative of correcting false statements. You can't prove anything based on interruptions, especially since there seems to be differing amounts spending on the source. Trump came to the debate ill-prepared, and it showed. There's no bias when someone doesn't know their stuff, and while "winging it," is asked to clarify.

I can't prove anything, but it comes down to optics, and in my view there was bias.

Holt fact-checks Trump, not Clinton | TheHill

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    So, did you watch the video?

Holt was a Chicago anchor for pretty much all of my life until he moved to the national level.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Part of the reason Trump was open to fact-checking/correction is that he doesn't understand how to debate, or really even campaign. You can't fact-check platitudes. You can't correct statement of ideology.

If you minimize the amount of facts you try to deliver, you minimize the opportunities to be corrected.

And all of Trump's "wrong" interruptions were just odd. Especially the one where it looked like he tried to say it, but it came out as a whisper or something.

This is a contest that Trump doesn't understand. He's been gifted with certain talents that make him superficially appealing, but at the end of the day, he is an amateur in a pro game. That appeals to some people. Ok, I get that. We all like underdogs.

But it is myopic (nicest word I could come up with) to say that he's being treated unfairly because he doesn't know how to do it well.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    But it is myopic (nicest word I could come up with) to say that he's being treated unfairly because he doesn't know how to do it well.

The two are not mutual exclusive.

I posted my observation after the debate. I was not the only one to observe the trampling of "zingers".

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The two are not mutual exclusive.
    Indeed, but then the line is even more subjective: how many did he deserve because he doesn't know what he's doing, and how many were undeserved?

I posted my observation after the debate. I was not the only one to observe the trampling of "zingers".
    See - that's part of the problem. I really thought his writers would do better with "zingers" that were effective. Like the taxes for emails thing. That is totally non sequitur, but it works. His repeated monosyllabic "wrong" was just childish.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And instead of dropping this in the EC thread, it fits here.

The NowCast. Probably just getting tired of winning so much.

CthkwRZWEAIqLIr.jpg:large

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I like the 538 approaches, but more in an intellectually curious kind of way. Hard for me to envision BOTH FL and NC going HRC.

In terms of methodology, it doesn't look like they take into account ME's CD2. Not that the 1 EC is that big of a deal, just an observation.

ETA:
    Just reviewed their own data and there's something inconsistent.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#margins

There they have FL going to HRC in a narrow victory - .1%. Ok. I can buy that. That's reflected in the graphic above.

But then they have NC going to Trump in a narrow, but larger than FL, victory - .9%. I can also buy that, but it isn't reflected in the graphic above.

Now, 538 is all about casting numbers in different ways. So some of their extrapolations will yield inconsistent (or apparently inconsistent) results. That's part of what makes them interesting, but not always informative.

Last edited:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Indeed, but then the line is even more subjective: how many did he deserve because he doesn't know what he's doing, and how many were undeserved?

See - that's part of the problem. I really thought his writers would do better with "zingers" that were effective. Like the taxes for emails thing. That is totally non sequitur, but it works. His repeated monosyllabic "wrong" was just childish.

Writers? Hah. I'm not saying he did a good job by any means, and neither did Holt. It is impolite to walk on somebody's punchline, purposefully or not. It is also wrong for a moderator to fight the point of a quip on Howard Stern. If somebody's going to skew the facts on live TV, it will be fact-checked. That was his Candy Crowley moment.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    DIVERSITY IN ACTION!

Reporter: "Why did you show up with a Trump hat?"

Reporter insinuated: "Comrade, if you do not disagree with the mob, you will not be beaten!"

[video=youtube;uGRFEiLBZCE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRFEiLBZCE[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wasn't this how Die Hard 3 started out? I mean, if you do something that you know will **** people off, the repercussions should be expected.

I'm not supporting beating people who disagree (and there's been documented examples of Trump supporters with the same conduct). I am saying, and I thought this was consistent with INGO standards, common sense says certain rudeness is often met with physical violence.

Play the games, win the prizes.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wasn't this how Die Hard 3 started out? I mean, if you do something that you know will **** people off, the repercussions should be expected.

I'm not supporting beating people who disagree (and there's been documented examples of Trump supporters with the same conduct). I am saying, and I thought this was consistent with INGO standards, common sense says certain rudeness is often met with physical violence.

Play the games, win the prizes.

I can't believe the slogan "Make America Great Again" is considered rudeness....I have no concept rudeness should be met with physical violence..I have had yellow dog Democrats come in here and begin spouting off things I disagree with...Very vocally I might add..I never once thought of beating them down...I told them they are entitled to their opinion but this is my place of business and I would like for them to leave as apparently something in my shop triggered them to an outburst...

I hold the door open for them, smile and say "Have a Blessed Day."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @ericpwp Really? You couldn't take the extra 6 mouse clicks to skew that screen? Great premise, solid screen grab, but.... just... couldn't ... finish.

That means a 3 from the Bulgarian judge.

;) :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can't believe the slogan "Make America Great Again" is considered rudeness....

I know you know that. You know I know you know that. But, we also both know where wearing the wrong message in the wrong place is provocative.

And not in a good way.

Top Bottom