Not open for further replies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From William "Bill" Dowden, Legislative Director of the ISRPA:

"Chalk up another one for Jim Tomes!!! His bill to protect gun and ammunition
    manufacturers from certain lawsuits (such as Gary, Indiana) passed
    the House today by a vote of 72 - 23. He got it through the Senate last month. You
    can read the bill by going to www.iga.in.gov."

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

the House today by a vote of 72 - 23. He got it through the Senate last month. You

TRUTH ... but incomplete ...

The House (on the floor at 2nd reading) amended this. It needs concurrence vote in the Senate again; or it goes to Conference Committee.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Odd update on SB 433.

It doesn't show up at all on the Governor's list of bills that have been presented to him:
    Governor Pence: 2015 Bill Watch

Yet, the 2015 session site indicates that the legislature believes it was done back on 4/9. I guess waiting on LG's signature.

Kinda makes me wonder if he's just going to let it become law without taking any position on it. Would Pence really do something like that?

(Purple implied.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    According to the online resources, it is still awaiting signature by the Lt. Gov., then it will move on to the Governor. I don't believe there is a deadline for her to act.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    According to the online resources, it is still awaiting signature by the Lt. Gov., then it will move on to the Governor. I don't believe there is a deadline for her to act.

My guess is Wed. this week - that is the last day of the Legislative Session. -
    All 3 "pro gun rights" items - are going to need her signature SB433 and SJR 2 only need Lt. Gov's ...
    SB 98 needs Speaker and Pres. Pro Temp. as well.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    According to BillWatch (link upthread), Gov. Pence has been signing 5-6 days before his action is required (i.e. if it's due for his action by the 28th, he signs on the 23rd or so)

If he follows that pattern, it should be signed in the next day or so (Today being 4/29).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Usually resolutions do not require the executive's signature, since they don't really have the effect of a law or statute. But, I don't think there's any reason he can't. I think to amend the Indiana constitution, it just needs to be confirmed by the next legislature, then put to a statewide vote.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I was going through some filing cabinets at the office Friday and found a newspaper article from October 13, 2000 where the Lake Superior Court Judge dismissed our clients out of this suit. We were local counsel for the NSSF, (and ASSC) as well as SAAMI.

My involvement in the case consisted in getting large documents from the lead counsel in Washington and getting them filed, as well as literally setting up the easel and changing the posters during the motion to dismiss argument. I'm proud of my contribution.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SEA 98 awaits signature as well. I don't know if SJR 2 requires the governor's signature or not.

We need an INGOhouse Rock video?:D

I nominate rhino to dress up as the bill.:D

Indiana Constitution - Article 16

Indiana General Assembly

The really, really cool thing about not being in high school or college government classes is that you don't have to know all the answers, you just have to know where to find them. It's also OK to admit you don't know something, especially if it will draw out someone who does to answer the question.

Thank you, Kirk, for being the "someone who did know" that allows me to lay down a statement like that with the knowledge that "someone who DID know" if SJR 2 would need that signature would come answer it. Extra points for putting the "where to find it" in the same post.

Blessings,
    Bill

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe someone can help. My search-fu doesn't seem to work.

Someone at work claimed a new law was signed saying that employees would now be responsible to pay for their safety equipment.
    I know better than to believe a random claim. So I'm trying to verify.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We cannot all be generals, someone must carry the base plate.:D

For the love of pete....Gary's attorneys just moved for a status conference and are apparently revving things back up. I may be getting involved in this again (not so much a General....A Lt. Colonel this time rather than a skeeter wing Private, maybe). I'm reading through the CCS now. My original clients were dismissed a decade and a half ago, but others in my office represent 3 gun makes. Those other attorneys are dead or in different firms now who don't do this sort of thing.

Anyhoo,

...further affiant sayeth naught...for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom