• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Stephen87 is correct. Daycare centers can still enact policies prohibiting their employees from having guns in their cars. It won't be illegal, but you can get fired for it. They only removed schools from the list of exemptions.

I didn't see anywhere that anyone in this thread was specifying "employees". That's why I was confused. He just kept saying "so, it's still off-limits now?" with no explanation. The only one who mentioned employees was SteveM4A1.

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    Governor Sign Off

I just jumped on a few minutes ago. So I had the benefit of reading that bit all at once rather than going back and forth.

So, when does the Governor sign off? I assume this goes into effect in July? I've been a member for awhile but my first post. Apologies if I did it wrong

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, when does the Governor sign off? I assume this goes into effect in July? I've been a member for awhile but my first post. Apologies if I did it wrong

He has a couple of weeks to either sign, veto, or ignore. If he signs it, it goes into effect July 1. If he vetoes it, it goes back to the legislature for next session. If he ignores it, it automatically become law when the signing window expires (but still doesn't go into effect until July).

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Again, off limits in what way? You still can't carry IN a daycare just like you still can't carry IN a school. Nothing has changed there. SB229 only refers to storing a firearm in your vehicle while in a school parking lot.

As in parking lots. I read the first part and that was all that loaded for me at first. I didn't realize that section was about parking lots for employees.

JohnMcClane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Indy
    This entire process was rather cool and an eye opener as well. I was consumed with following this and hearing the updates and contacting all the legislators to get our message out. Kudos to all those involved in keeping us informed. It was great to see the system at work and I'm glad we got this result.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Enjoy this victory, but now is the time to get ready for the next Big Push for our gun rights. The time to get actively involved is right when session starts. That is when bills get presented and the House and Senate leaders pick which bills get heard and which Committees they get assigned to. Leadership Committee Chairs have extraordinary power and that is when the REAL battle begins! Spend the summer getting organized and get a game plan formed so everyone here at INGO can actually push for gun reform instead of just reacting to whatever crumbs may be fortunate enough to fall through the cracks. I hope everyone recognizes how fortunate we were to get this victory and pays attention to the fact that this particular piece of legislation, which makes incredible sense, was fought tooth and nail for many weeks and didn't make it through until the final hour. This was a great bill, but the press and massive mis-information being spread was a major obstacle and gives pause to those legislators who aren't die-hard gun people. Given what has just transpired, try to imagine the difficulty in passing even better, more far-reaching bills! Enjoy this great victory and start organizing for next year, you know the anti's are already at it, just look at how easy Ms. Watts lied in the Committee hearing and on camera!
    I know for a fact that there was one person, only one, in the Statehouse that kept this bill alive from start to finish. That person worked way harder than they should have had to to get this bill through, but that's the way things go sometimes with circumstances the way they were. Next time, there might not be the luck there was this time around!
    My :twocents:!

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Minimum gun rights legislation passed next year needs to be what died in committee this year as HB 1018, which would require the following additions from my Want List for this session to be truly effective:
    N) Repeal the statute banning weapons from the Capitol grounds. (25 IAC 8)

O) Only allow local law under IC 35-47-11.1-4(5) (guns in courthouses) to have effect during hours with actual court business taking place on the premises and/or only in the actual courtrooms themselves.

Q) Reform IC 35-47-11.1-1 thusly:
    IC 35-47-11.1-1
    Application
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies to a political subdivision (as defined in IC 3-5-2-38) or an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6) which receives any funding from the state of Indiana.

Actually, I think most of HB 1018 could be handled entirely by Q) above. Just tack on its proposed IC 35-47-16-2(a) (state agencies) onto IC 35-47-11.1-1 similar to how I have accounted for HB 1018's proposed IC 35-47-16-2(b) above. If expanding 11.1 beyond mere local preemption, there might need to be a smattering of housekeeping edits to the rest of it. And while doing that, all of the subsections under IC 35-47-11.1-4 could be recoded as lower case letters rather than arabic numerals like a civilized legislature would use.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    All very true, John, though I'd take exception to your point of when to get actively involved. We could wait until the session is beginning, in December, when the legislators are sending bills to LSA to put in proper form and when they're all gearing up for a new session, or we can do that in addition to writing throughout the year, offering a bit of info here, a bit of info there... Educating those who honestly don't know slowly, carefully, over time. I mean no offense when I say that some of our legislators are ignorant; the simple fact is that each of us is ignorant on some subjects. The value of this or that area of knowledge varies depending on circumstances, of course. (Someone might know all there is to know about survival in the wilderness, but living in downtown New York, that knowledge is of little value)

The point is, if we tell them what we think, politely, regularly, and continuously, we'll still have the Lawsons and Pierces, ardent supporters of an unarmed public and a helpless constituency, but we'll have many more Eberharts, Lucas', Tomes', Nugents, Mayfields, Humes, and the like; people who will hopefully run block and keep things like the last-minute removal of the definition of a school limiting it to the building from happening, people who will push *HARD* for things like Rep. Lucas' HB 1018 to not be killed before it ever begins.

I know from my contact in Indy some of the work that went into this, enough to say that you haven't even scratched the surface of telling people what went on. The things that happened off-camera make what we saw ON camera pale in comparison. I know the amount of work that BB3 and I (he moreso than me) put into agitating people enough to get them to sit down and tap out a letter. What I don't want to see happen is everyone fall back to sleep and forget what Mr. Samuel Adams called "the animating contest of freedom" until late February of next year.

I can't post daily updates of something that's not actively happening. Writing letters and making phone calls is not as exciting as watching the session unfold, waiting for this or that vote. But that's what makes the difference... making sure that the people doing the voting are doing so from knowledge rather than ignorance... because ignorance is curable!

Thanks for posting this... You have some good thoughts.

Blessings,
    Bill

Enjoy this victory, but now is the time to get ready for the next Big Push for our gun rights. The time to get actively involved is right when session starts. That is when bills get presented and the House and Senate leaders pick which bills get heard and which Committees they get assigned to. Leadership Committee Chairs have extraordinary power and that is when the REAL battle begins! Spend the summer getting organized and get a game plan formed so everyone here at INGO can actually push for gun reform instead of just reacting to whatever crumbs may be fortunate enough to fall through the cracks. I hope everyone recognizes how fortunate we were to get this victory and pays attention to the fact that this particular piece of legislation, which makes incredible sense, was fought tooth and nail for many weeks and didn't make it through until the final hour. This was a great bill, but the press and massive mis-information being spread was a major obstacle and gives pause to those legislators who aren't die-hard gun people. Given what has just transpired, try to imagine the difficulty in passing even better, more far-reaching bills! Enjoy this great victory and start organizing for next year, you know the anti's are already at it!
    My :twocents:!

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    All very true, John, though I'd take exception to your point of when to get actively involved. We could wait until the session is beginning, in December, when the legislators are sending bills to LSA to put in proper form and when they're all gearing up for a new session, or we can do that in addition to writing throughout the year, offering a bit of info here, a bit of info there... Educating those who honestly don't know slowly, carefully, over time. I mean no offense when I say that some of our legislators are ignorant; the simple fact is that each of us is ignorant on some subjects. The value of this or that area of knowledge varies depending on circumstances, of course. (Someone might know all there is to know about survival in the wilderness, but living in downtown New York, that knowledge is of little value)

The point is, if we tell them what we think, politely, regularly, and continuously, we'll still have the Lawsons and Pierces, ardent supporters of an unarmed public and a helpless constituency, but we'll have many more Eberharts, Lucas', Tomes', Nugents, Mayfields, Humes, and the like; people who will hopefully run block and keep things like the last-minute removal of the definition of a school limiting it to the building from happening, people who will push *HARD* for things like Rep. Lucas' HB 1018 to not be killed before it ever begins.

I know from my contact in Indy some of the work that went into this, enough to say that you haven't even scratched the surface of telling people what went on. The things that happened off-camera make what we saw ON camera pale in comparison. I know the amount of work that BB3 and I (he moreso than me) put into agitating people enough to get them to sit down and tap out a letter. What I don't want to see happen is everyone fall back to sleep and forget what Mr. Samuel Adams called "the animating contest of freedom" until late February of next year.

I can't post daily updates of something that's not actively happening. Writing letters and making phone calls is not as exciting as watching the session unfold, waiting for this or that vote. But that's what makes the difference... making sure that the people doing the voting are doing so from knowledge rather than ignorance... because ignorance is curable!

Thanks for posting this... You have some good thoughts.

Blessings,
    Bill

Tried to rep, but couldn't. Anyway, excellent advice, as always! :patriot:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think the listing of email addresses by Senator and Representative was incredibly helpful to get people off their butts and writing. Do you think we could get a "sticky" at the top of the sub forum with hypertext emails for all the legislators? It appears the addresses never change, even if the names would need to be maintained and updated periodically.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think we could arrange that. :)

I think the listing if email addresses by Senator and Representative was incredibly helpful to get people off their butts and writing. Do you think we could get a "sticky" at the top of the sub forum with hypertext emails for all the legislators? It appears the addresses never change, even if the names would need to be maintained and updated periodically.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think the listing if email addresses by Senator and Representative was incredibly helpful to get people off their butts and writing. Do you think we could get a "sticky" at the top of the sub forum with hypertext emails for all the legislators? It appears the addresses never change, even if the names would need to be maintained and updated periodically.

The sticky has been there since 2008. It's titled "Who's your legislator?".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's a good idea. Are you referring to this?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0-2014-legislative-session-9.html#post4876124

I know when I was sending emails out, it was a pain on this Ipad to search and I figured if I was having to go through this pain, there wasn't any sense in everybody having to go through it too.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Scutter, I think what he means is a listing of all of them in one place, by name. What you're referring to is great for finding your own, but not wonderful for finding the others, like those on a committee.

I think the two will work very well together, and I will probably put links in each one to the other one when I get this done.

The sticky has been there since 2008. It's titled "Who's your legislator?".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom