• Status
    Not open for further replies.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Emails sent again to my Rep. Sean Eberhart. I'm in goods hands here! He's one of the reasons this thing is making it to the house. Please, if your in D57, also take the time to thank this man for all he has done!!

EDIT: This man is also a sponsor of the bill!! My Rep. kicks butt

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    SB 229 just managed to survive an attempt to amend OUT Rep Lucas' languange.
    Reps Austin (D - 36) and Rep Lawson (D - 1) - those are Anderson Area, and Hammond Area, respectively - pushed for this amendment.
    silly arguments - emotional / fears / procedural (fail!!!) ; Lawson was former LEO (so except!)
    Austin former (??) teacher ...
    This Amend killed 72-25 ... (that means some D's voted smartly)

... keep writing the Representatives
    FINAL VOTE IS MONDAY.​

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    SB 229 just managed to survive an attempt to amend OUT Rep Lucas' languange.
    Reps Austin (D - 36) and Rep Lawson (D - 1) - those are Anderson Area, and Hammond Area, respectively - pushed for this amendment.
    silly arguments - emotional / fears / procedural (fail!!!) ; Lawson was former LEO (so except!)
    Austin former (??) teacher ...
    This Amend killed 72-25 ... (that means some D's voted smartly)

... keep writing the Representatives
    FINAL VOTE IS MONDAY.​

I'm curious as to the proper tact on this. I wouldn't imagine it would be helpful to just keep re-sending ones original message. For those that do write often, what do you recommend as an approach?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Do you mind typing up what she said so we can all write to clue her in on some logic?

going to try;

Also, we at IMAGC received a message that Rep Macer (D H92) is on the fence but getting lots of calls from MdA - "for the children".
    so we need to educate her better. Fact - and pollite but determined messages that define the facts. ...

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    SB 169 - FYI:
    This just passed the HOUSE - 93 yes 0 no.
    - with changes from the SENATE
    so off to conference committee. need to figure out the updates on revisions and who to contact.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm curious as to the proper tact on this. I wouldn't imagine it would be helpful to just keep re-sending ones original message. For those that do write often, what do you recommend as an approach?

I try to edit each time, at least a little bit; especially if I know there is a particular thing where they are having a hang up; but stick to facts not emotions. or if some news item or other propaganda may be swaying them away from a good vote.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sent.

Dear Rep. Lawson,

I just had opportunity to hear your passionate speech in re: Rep. Lucas' amendment to SB 229. You clearly have some deep feelings about this issue. Where it seems to me that we differ is that you say that you yourself carry and say that you think "we all should...if that's what we choose" to do, your amendment belies your stated opinion, instead saying that "we all" means only LEOs or only legislators. In point of fact, however, I support what you're saying: given that cars in school parking lots are magnets for break-ins and vandalism, and given that people have a right to keep and bear arms (meaning not just to own but to carry them on their persons,) it is clear to me that you are arguing that people should not leave their guns in their cars at schools or anywhere else, but rather keep them on their persons to keep them from being stolen. The thing Dr. John Lott showed that criminals fear most is not a police officer, as police are a reactive force and likely not present when the crime occurs, but rather an armed (intended) victim. Given that fact, while you seemed to be arguing that gun owners should simply be disarmed (although you, as an officer or retired officer would not be) you were instead arguing in favor of an armed citizenry. Couching this in an argument that appeared to be "guns for me, but not for thee" was, in a word, brilliant.

I have to admit, seeing this attitude from a Democratic Representative is a refreshing change, and pleases me greatly. I'm quite sure that your impassioned speech will be very useful in future efforts to pass Constitutional Carry and abolish "gun free zones" in Indiana. This is all a roundabout way of thanking you for supporting the rights of gun owners in our state.

Most sincerely,
    (signed)

ETA:

In retrospect, this was not the best letter. I saw the point I ended up making as I wrote it, and I didn't go back and edit out the "disagreement" text like I should have. I'll admit to being a bit tired at the moment, which is no excuse, but I do think I've made my points and made my opinion known. I also hope that Rep. Lucas or someone else with access to do so goes to the recording of the session on the IGA website and copies out the relevant portions of her comments on the bill for later use.

Sorry y'all. I could have done better with this. I'll pay more attention when I write in the future.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Which legislators are outspoken against this bill? I wouldn't mind sending them an email. I sent one to Rep. Macer, for the children of course.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Still looking to do my part (whatever comes next). For those of you "in the know", keep us posted! I'm checking this thread quite often now. I don't want to miss this opportunity!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    SB 169 - FYI:
    This just passed the HOUSE - 93 yes 0 no.
    - with changes from the SENATE
    so off to conference committee. need to figure out the updates on revisions and who to contact.

I just googled this and couldn't figure out if it was a Pro 2nd Amendment bill or what the significance was? Sorry I'm not caught up on all the bills.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I met Rep. Macer. I was also told that she is VERY pro-gun, though I didn't get much opportunity to get into that discussion with her. I'll say that when I was told that, I was surprised... Her appearance gave me the impression of "soccer mom", which I don't at all mean derogatorily, but rather... well... they say a picture speaks a thousand words:

macer.jpg

She is good evidence of not judging a book by its cover: She is a young, attractive woman from the city (or at least representing an urban district) and a Democrat. She's married, with two kids, according to votesmart.org, and seems to me by appearance that she'd be more at home in an SUV with her kids strapped in to the point of suffocation than up in a tree stand or out on a range with gunpowder residue on her fingers. I was both pleasantly surprised and a bit self-embarrassed to find I'd misjudged her based solely on appearance. We had only a brief moment to talk, but I think based on what I was told outside of the general pleasantries of an introduction that we can expect good things from her when votes come up... provided we can get her the information to change "pro-gun" to "pro-gun RIGHTS". Sadly, it appears that Rep. Macer did vote against Rep. Lucas' bill being amended into SB 229. What I don't know is if this is a "party vote", a "political cover" vote, or an actual vote based on her own beliefs (and perhaps ignorance of the relevant facts.)

Anyone in her district want to write to her and see if a few facts will change her vote for Third Reading, on Monday?

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom