• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Thank you. After the number of times I screwed up and got busted this season, I'm just relieved to put meat in the freezer.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I hadn't seen a single deer all season until last night. On my way through the woods to my stand I stopped and stood for about 1 min. Next thing I know, a doe shows up 15 feet to my right. As I instantly go into "fever mode", I swing my gun up and try to line her up. "What the hell is wrong with this stupid scope? Ahhhhh, the lens caps are still on!" I jerk them off just in time to see her bound out towards the field. As I try to swing with her, "what's that? Ahhhh, another one!" I jerk back to my right to line up the second one just as she starts to turn. I've got her dead to rights. Nice easy trigger squeeze, and again, and again. "Ahhhh, what's wrong with this stupid gun? D*** it!! The safety's still on!" i get myself straightened out just in time to watch both does blow out of the woods, across the bean field, across the next field, and into the neighbors woods. I stomp my feet, shake my head, and put together a string of words that would make my sailor father proud as i head out to the back side of the bean field to my stand. Fast forward a couple of hours and I get a text from my hunting partner. "There's two deer at the neighbors barn". All right. Ten minutes later I get another text, "The deer are on the back of your fence row headed your way." Even better. So I turn around a bit to see if I can see them coming. I can't see a thing and now I won't see if they drop into the field like I think they will. So I turn back and stop and catch movement out of the corner of my eye. Behind me. It sees me and stops five feet behind me. Sniff, sniff. The thing can't figure me out. So it gets moving again and as it passes me, I start to turn towards it. More movement. Here comes deer number two. I freeze and so does the deer. Once again, five feet behind me. The first deer is no longer concerned with me, but this one isn't so sure. Sniff, sniff. Sniff, sniff. It takes a step closer. Sniff, sniff. My heart is about to beat it's way out of my chest. I'm trying not to let the deer see my entire body shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. Sniff, sniff. It might have only been five minutes, but it felt like three hours. The deer slowly turns toward the first deer, now out a bit in the field, pick the tail straight up, and takes a couple of quick hops away. "Ok. How do I not screw this up?" It's tail goes down, and they both decide it's finally dinner time. I slooooowly stand up and turn towards them at the same time. My gun sloooowly comes up to my shoulder. The safety comes off. I line one up. Start squeezing the trigger, and the deer moves away. So I turn toward the other deer, and start squeezing again. BOOM! One deer is running like mad, the other is flat on the ground. One quick fist pump, a quick dance, and I drop back into my chair. This season that started so terribly is suddenly much better. Now that I've got a huge doe headed for my freezer, it's time to try and fill the buck tag.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    On the way into the woods yesterday around 2:30, I kicked up a 6 pointer and a doe that were bedded down not 40 yards from my stand. Didn't see anything else the rest of the evening.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hadn't seen a single deer all season until last night. On my way through the woods to my stand I stopped and stood for about 1 min. Next thing I know, a doe shows up 15 feet to my right. As I instantly go into "fever mode", I swing my gun up and try to line her up. "What the hell is wrong with this stupid scope? Ahhhhh, the lens caps are still on!" I jerk them off just in time to see her bound out towards the field. As I try to swing with her, "what's that? Ahhhh, another one!" I jerk back to my right to line up the second one just as she starts to turn. I've got her dead to rights. Nice easy trigger squeeze, and again, and again. "Ahhhh, what's wrong with this stupid gun? D*** it!! The safety's still on!" i get myself straightened out just in time to watch both does blow out of the woods, across the bean field, across the next field, and into the neighbors woods. I stomp my feet, shake my head, and put together a string of words that would make my sailor father proud as i head out to the back side of the bean field to my stand. Fast forward a couple of hours and I get a text from my hunting partner. "There's two deer at the neighbors barn". All right. Ten minutes later I get another text, "The deer are on the back of your fence row headed your way." Even better. So I turn around a bit to see if I can see them coming. I can't see a thing and now I won't see if they drop into the field like I think they will. So I turn back and stop and catch movement out of the corner of my eye. Behind me. It sees me and stops five feet behind me. Sniff, sniff. The thing can't figure me out. So it gets moving again and as it passes me, I start to turn towards it. More movement. Here comes deer number two. I freeze and so does the deer. Once again, five feet behind me. The first deer is no longer concerned with me, but this one isn't so sure. Sniff, sniff. Sniff, sniff. It takes a step closer. Sniff, sniff. My heart is about to beat it's way out of my chest. I'm trying not to let the deer see my entire body shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. Sniff, sniff. It might have only been five minutes, but it felt like three hours. The deer slowly turns toward the first deer, now out a bit in the field, pick the tail straight up, and takes a couple of quick hops away. "Ok. How do I not screw this up?" It's tail goes down, and they both decide it's finally dinner time. I slooooowly stand up and turn towards them at the same time. My gun sloooowly comes up to my shoulder. The safety comes off. I line one up. Start squeezing the trigger, and the deer moves away. So I turn toward the other deer, and start squeezing again. BOOM! One deer is running like mad, the other is flat on the ground. One quick fist pump, a quick dance, and I drop back into my chair. This season that started so terribly is suddenly much better. Now that I've got a huge doe headed for my freezer, it's time to try and fill the buck tag.

Now that is a great hunt!:rockwoot: (Also, a very hilarious hunt:lmfao:)

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Where was the buck Hammer located inside the buck?

I used Buck Hammers for the first time this season and haven't had any problems
    1 shot 1 kill with great exspansion and entry /exit channels

Mine looks a lot differant that the slug you found in the buck as far as exspansion

The buckhammer was a high hit just under the spine, looked like it broke the back but maybe just the ribs. it had a little expansion. it went through and was just under the hide on the other side. I was pulling the hide down and it fell on the floor. I would say the deer would have been dead in a few days, like i said I'm surprised he was still going. the skin had already healed over pretty well. I assume it was a buckhammer, super flat top, like a 12 gauge wadcutter. I wouldn't blame the slug or the other hunter, descent hit just didn't get him bleeding enough. Thanks sb

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    had planned to take today off to hunt, then got a call from the boy saying they were sending them all home for Christmas from Basic Training.

So I ended up going to work to save a vacation day... and I probably saw 5 or 6 bucks out wondering around on the way to work :crying:

they are moving today

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    good luck to all this weekend, I will be in the woods as much as possible trying to fill that firearms buck tag along with a bonus antlerless I've had since Oct 1st.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    good luck to all this weekend, I will be in the woods as much as possible trying to fill that firearms buck tag along with a bonus antlerless I've had since Oct 1st.

Ditto here... my buddy finally got a button buck on his usual land after scoring a big buck on my in-laws' farm opening day (evening). I'm hoping to score on my wife's sister's place in S Fayette county tomorrow. If not, it'll be back to the farm for at least one day.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    5 doe at dark. 3 on adjacent property. Hunting with .358 WSSM. @ 70 yards, two of them lined up for a one shot, 2 deer kind of thing. Since I only have one antlerless tag, I resisted! :D

Going to a job today in my work van and saw a small 6 point chasing does in a field that ran parallel to the road. He didn't care that I stopped to watch, she did! When she left, he did too.

Watched for about 10 minutes though. Pretty cool from the road! :D

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    heading to the stand, good luck all and Happy Turkey Day!

Will be interested to hear your report, I've heard alot more people I know getting deer this week then opening weekend. Looks like it'll be some good hunting this weekend, I will go back out on Saturday most likely..

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    was like the dead zone out there today. First time I've been there and not see a single deer, even in the distance. The fog looked pretty cool though. Time for a nap then head to the the family gathering. Back at it tomorrow.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    was like the dead zone out there today.

Not much movement this morning here either. But did have a small 4pt'r come in & bed down less than 20yds from treestand @ 7:50am. He stayed there until 9:10am then stood up & walked off. Seen 1 other deer running thru woods at 9:40am. Heards shots a few minutes before this maybe 1/2 mile away.
    No squirrels were moving this morning,no ducks/geese flying. Yesterday morning had alot more wildlife movement,calm clear morning.

Top Bottom