2009 - What have you done to Prepare this week?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Put up a new shelf in our house and started buying canned foods. Also started stocking water. And I went out and purchased 5 gal containers for gasoline. (Will be filled by this weekend.)

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Been dehydrating lots of veggies the last couple weeks. Potatoes on sale at Krogers, as well as the corn ,peas, and broccoli. Stocked up on coffee as well. I think this month I'm going to focus on the ODD stuff, spices, meds, fuel for stove, I'm gettin tired of beans and rice. Be nice to get in some trigger time may see if I can find a few boxes of ammo looking for a good home?

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Fence is complete, gates under construction.

Dogs are happy, deer, coons, rabbits, and opossums are not.

Jack Russel and Collie work well together. One acts as spotter, and the other does the dirty work.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Ordered 30, "day-old" guinea chicks from Murray McMurray in Iowa https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/baby.gif... too bad they won't arrive till July at the post office!

Murray McMurray hatchery

We just got our 50 chicken hen chicks from them. Post office called at 5:59 am to tell me they came in. I was there at 6:15 ringing their door bell at the loading dock. BTW firearms on postal federal property a NONO. But then again You probally all ready Knew that. I just put Mr taurus in the center console for the pick up of chicks. Being we live so rural our post office only has PO boxes and limited counter services, SO I had to go to the PO that delivers our route, 5 miles away.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    We just got our 50 chicken hen chicks from them. Post office called at 5:59 am to tell me they came in. I was there at 6:15 ringing their door bell at the loading dock. BTW firearms on postal federal property a NONO. But then again You probally all ready Knew that. I just put Mr taurus in the center console for the pick up of chicks. Being we live so rural our post office only has PO boxes and limited counter services, SO I had to go to the PO that delivers our route, 5 miles away.

I'm glad I'm not the only one sending them money! I've been buying baby chicks from them for years.

Mr. Hoppes, have you ever kept guineas, and if so do they do OK (as adults) mixing with free-range chickens?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    +50 gallons of gas today(we rotate it in the vehicles).Also this week the garden is up 100% I will post pics in the garden thread in the next day or so.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    I'm glad I'm not the only one sending them money! I've been buying baby chicks from them for years.

Mr. Hoppes, have you ever kept guineas, and if so do they do OK (as adults) mixing with free-range chickens?

Yeah we had a few and they were fine witht he other birds, Chickens mixed breeds and turkies also. I just didn't like them because they were too noisey. Every little thing that made a noise and they'd be barking all oever the place. I got more sleep the week after I butchered them, than I had the month before. Although I must confess our animals are way too close to the house anyway. So not entirely thier fault. They are good security birds. The children also liked the meat better than the chicken, which they love.

The rain the last couple of nights has wiped out 1/2 of our chicks, should have left them in for another few weeks I guess. Oh well.

On a related note we are now letting one of our broody chickens, sit 6 eggs, and use her natural ability to shore up our chick failure. I will also let another one than has broody habits to sit 6 if she tries to.

Might as well let them do what they were supposed to do.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Yesterday I bought a 50lb bag of Rice and 10lbs of Great Northern Dried Beans to seal and store. Next I'm working on 50lbs of Salt, flour and wheat.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I added another section to the garden this weekend with peppers and more tomatoes. Also added another 500 rounds to the stock of 7.62x39.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Wife scored 150 9mm rds. from walmart at the awesome pre-ammo-lunacy price of $11/50! She got 550 rds 22lr for the boys to send down range this summer too. Found 1300 strike anywhere matches for the larder. Stopped at a yard sale and found a padded rifle case for the 9mm carbine for $2, later at J&J in Columbus they had the same case for $32! At another yard sale I found a full length leg splint , NIB for a dollar. Never know what you might need in a bad situation.
    Helped get my Father in law into a new shotgun for his home defense. He'd been unwilling to have one in the house for years but recently has come around. I have 7 used 4 and 5 gallon buckets with gasketed lids cleaned up and ready to put things in for storage.
    Slow week at work!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Found some clean 55 gallon drums for $12 each last week. They have no odor and are perfectly clean as far as I can tell. I picked up 3 for water storage. Ordered the plugs for 'em today.

Top Bottom