2009 - What have you done to Prepare this week?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Fruit trees need a lot of sunlight to really produce. Otherwise you'll get stunted fruit that's susceptible to a number of diseases and blights, plus the fruit is usually smaller and has less sugar content. There are hardy hybrid peaches that are supposed to grow here, but I've always thought the few I've eaten weren't all that good. I opted for apricots. Huge producer of fruit; the fruit is super sweet, easy to prep and can/freeze, and the trees are fairly easy to maintain.

Are they self pollinating? What hybrid/type did you get?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Here's my next question for gardners. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables but I like corn, green beans, peas, potatos, etc. I'm looking at rareseeds.com and they have so many different variety of beans and other plants. What variety do I want if I want just plain jane vegetables like you would buy in a can at grocery stores? I want plane jane green beans, wax beans, beans like you would make ham and beans with, pinto beans, and peas.

Do you guys have any luck planting potatos here? I've heard yes and no. I'll be planting tomatoes as well. That website has some seed collections of 300 packets for $375 but I don't think I'd eat over half of the stuff that's in the collection. I'm mostly wanting to plant stuff that will can. Also, I want them to be heirloom seeds so I can save seeds every year and replant.

I did potatoes for the first time last year. got a bunch of different kinds, cut them up and let them dry out for a few days and planted in troughs. You need a lot drainage sand straw etc. the ones that got to wet rotted. They are really fun for the kids to dig up. Do yourself a favor and dig them up when there is still some plant left on top. Much easier to find them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, I got a 23 qt. presto pressure canner. My f-in-l gardens so I'll have to ask him as well. One of the reasons I bought a new one is it is supposed to have some instructions on how to can.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well I did some USPSA shooting to work on the skills, and I'm getting some shelves for storage today. Wife agreed to wood stove, so we will be getting an estimate in next week or so. Ordered 20 AR mags from Brownells Saturday.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, I got a 23 qt. presto pressure canner. My f-in-l gardens so I'll have to ask him as well. One of the reasons I bought a new one is it is supposed to have some instructions on how to can.

It is pretty easy. Keep things sterile and make sure you follow the time needed. Water bath canning salsa is a good easy start. Applesauce is good to try also.

I pressure can Venison, just jam it in throw a beef bullion cube on top and can pints at 10lbs for 75 min. Green beans have to be pressure canned as well.

Good luck.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just added three new 9 LED mini-flashlights to our packs, this completes our transition from incandescent to LED, which means now all of our flashlights (about a dozen of various shapes, sizes and power) are all LED now, well except my spotlight, that's got a halogen bulb but I have yet to see an LED that can put out 2+ million candlepower.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Here's my next question for gardners. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables but I like corn, green beans, peas, potatos, etc. I'm looking at rareseeds.com and they have so many different variety of beans and other plants. What variety do I want if I want just plain jane vegetables like you would buy in a can at grocery stores? I want plane jane green beans, wax beans, beans like you would make ham and beans with, pinto beans, and peas.

Do you guys have any luck planting potatos here? I've heard yes and no. I'll be planting tomatoes as well. That website has some seed collections of 300 packets for $375 but I don't think I'd eat over half of the stuff that's in the collection. I'm mostly wanting to plant stuff that will can. Also, I want them to be heirloom seeds so I can save seeds every year and replant.

Go to Wally World, Lowe's, Rural King, TSC, just about anywhere and go through their seed packets (Rural King and TSC have the best selection I think). There will be several varieties of each veggie. Best thing to do is read the description on the back of the packets. Corn, for instance... some varieties are much sweeter than others. It's a crapshoot.

Potatoes? Absolutely they can be grown here! You have to make long hills about 12" high to plant them on... that's the key. Tomatoes... piece of cake. Keep in mind that Tom's are actually vines (heavy vines too!) so you have to keep them staked up very well. You can grow any veggies you want here so long as you have decent soil conditions and plenty of sun.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Started my seed trays :) Also of note seed potatos are for sale at wally world(first time).The difference between seed potatos and the ones off the grocery shelf is that the seed ones have an anti fungal treatment so they will not rot when you plant them(all commercial potatos you buy are grown from these seed potatos).In my opinion well worth buying a bag at 6 dollars :)

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'll jump in here:

This past week, I worked out a bunch, ran and swam.

I did one H2H/combative session w/ sparring etc.

I only got in one dryfire session, G19 and AK

Got to the range for some team drills, two man bounding forward and back, retrieving a wounded team mate. Shot my primary AK and a USP.45 to switch it up. Ran it all with a loaded plate carrier and drop leg in the mud. Good fun.

Worked on and nearly finished my AMD65 build. Boogerd up one long rivet which shut down the next step. Damn. Fabricating the side sling swivel took some time to do right.

Watched a DVD on "Inside the Mind of a Suicide Bomber"

Finished the book "Making a killing" about British PSDs in Iraq c. 2003-2004.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Got to the range for some team drills, two man bounding forward and back, retrieving a wounded team mate. Shot my primary AK and a USP.45 to switch it up. Ran it all with a loaded plate carrier and drop leg in the mud. Good fun.

Are these live fire or dry fire? Where are you doing the drills (private land/public land)? Are these a continuation of drills picked up at a school? If possible, more info please.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    These are all live. We only do walk throughs on the first run with more complex team drills with 4 or 5 men running a drill. Even then we go live on run #2.

We train on private land.

Some of the drills we picked up at classes, but most have grown from those early drills and become more complex or scenario based, to up the stress level and pull different important aspects into the training like medical care, dead driver or comms. We are constanly evolving.

rylosplanet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Storage

What is used for long term storage of perishable items? Vacume sealed containers, etc? Does anyone know of a good way to bury weapons while keeping them in excellent working condition?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What is used for long term storage of perishable items? Vacume sealed containers, etc? Does anyone know of a good way to bury weapons while keeping them in excellent working condition?

First let me say: In before the "If it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up for use!" crew!

Howitzer tubes, PVC tubes, etc are all usable and there are online instructions for anyone who wanted to do such a thing. As for the rifle itself, look at any recently imported Mosin that is covered in cosmoline and do the same! Some people, back when sks's were cheap simply took them out of the box and put them in tubes. Left them ready for the next 30 years of storage.

Keep in mind where you put them though. And understand how hard it is to pull a long tube up from the ground. A plug at the bottom with a string/rope to the top can help pull things out so that you only need to uncover the tube end instead of the whole thing. Personally do not know much about it, but it has been discussed all over the gun net.

Finally, remember that any buried gun is still your responsibility. Don't put it where kids might dig it up, so no sandboxes... ;)

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    "what have you done to prepare this week?"

Hey, I like this thread topic. Hold me accountable!!!

I bought one more fire extinguisher, & one more gallon of bleach this morning. I love Bubba-land I mean WalMart!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I bought one more fire extinguisher, & one more gallon of bleach this morning. I love Bubba-land I mean WalMart!

Do a search for Pool Shock. I know I've posted more details on here somewhere. Most people don't realize the bleach just turns into a salt water after a while. i.e. it continues to loose strength. $10 worth of Pool Shock (with no anti-bacterial components) will make hundreds of gallons of bleach, but not degrade when left in its powder form. So it makes sense to store and not use, where bleach stored and not used become useless.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    2 - 550rd bricks of .22lr
    100 - #7 1/2, 12ga shells
    1000 rds - .32 S&W Long - Never know when you will need that Nagant Revolver (Zombies)
    1000 rds - .303 Brit - British Surplus - Got to feed the Enfields.
    10 - 30 cal ammo cans

Top Bottom