2009 - What have you done to Prepare this week?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I like what someone wrote the other day...

"If it is time to bury your guns, it's time to use them."

Not making fun of you, just saying that if you have need of that weapon, you may not have the time or opportunity to get to it, and if you can't get to it then it does you no good.

jamisan01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Rochester, In
    how deep do you need to bury a rifle just in case some one with a metal detector was looking...
    For some of the newer, high-tech detectors I'm guessing it would have to be unreasonably deep. Four feet or so. You also need to consider thermal imaging eqip. and so forth. Your best bet is to find some sheet lead and build cache boxes that will be 100% undetectable. I'm trying to find some more of it myself. I'll let everyone know if I find a good lead on some.

jamisan01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Rochester, In
    I like what someone wrote the other day...

"If it is time to bury your guns, it's time to use them."

Not making fun of you, just saying that if you have need of that weapon, you may not have the time or opportunity to get to it, and if you can't get to it then it does you no good.
    I disagree with that to some extent, I get what you're saying but I think it's a very smart idea to have a few that are well hidden and not on your property in case you can't get to your normal armory. State parks are a great place, you never have to worry about them being dug up or excavated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I disagree with that to some extent, I get what you're saying but I think it's a very smart idea to have a few that are well hidden and not on your property in case you can't get to your normal armory. State parks are a great place, you never have to worry about them being dug up or excavated.

I live inside town property limits, on a 1/8 acre lot so it's not feasible for me and that is what was coloring my response to Oldschoolmuscle.

I understand what both you and he are saying in your posts, I just have a habit of thinking worst-case scenario. The nearest State Park is a couple of miles away from me and I wonder, if things are bad enough that firearms are being confiscated, if I could get to a weapons cache. I am fearful that the situation would be near to having the town locked down so travel wouldn't be possible.

If it is feasible for you or OSM, I'll help you dig the hole for your cache! :D

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    What did I do to prepare this week...

I ordered a CB radio, SWR meter, antenna, and copper wire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    21st Century Firearms took some more of that pesky money stuff out of my wallet for some stuff for my new rifle and they handed me some more ammo in return for the green stuff.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    For learning more about canning pick up the "Ball Blue book" from the Ball jar co. I started canning last year (Dont try pickling beets your first time out with your wife home!!) and it covers everything!!
    You missed the INGO canning class ?Learned quite a bit.I may try to set up another one if there is enough interest.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ever think of burying your stuff in your septic tank? Wonder if that's a routine spot to check? Would be easy to pull out. I hava a friend and when we went hiking and had to leave the vehicles, he would pull out his valuables that weren't being taken along, dig a hole, put the stuff in, fill it in part way, then defecate on top as a deterent. This is out in the wilds, but I don't think that I'd dig there.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    "What have you done to Prepare this week?" Scratch that...What have I done to prepare today? And I'm not even saying what my DH just ordered! I do the food, he does other stuff.

Item: IN FS G162 - Fettucini Noodles #10- 12
    Item: IN FS P750 - SuperPail Instant Fortified Milk - 1
    Item: IN FS P100 - SUPERPAILT Hard Red Wheat - 1
    Item: IN FS P380 - SUPERPAILT Hard White Wheat - 1
    Item: IN FS P110 - SUPERPAILT ABC Soup Base - 1
    Item: IN FS P310 - SUPERPAILT Yellow Popcorn - 1
    Item: IN FN P106 - PROVIDENT PANTRY® Freeze Dried Green Bell Peppers #10 - 6 - Item: IN FS C210 - Baking Soda #10 - 12
    Item: IN FS S318 - Enchilada Seasoning - 1
    Item: IN FS S306 - Mild Chili Powder - 1
    Item: IN FS S308 - Montreal Seasonings - 1
    Item: IN FS C200 - Baking Powder #10 - 6
    Item: IN FN C098 - Freeze Dried Shredded Cheese Combo 6x#10- 1
    Item: IN FS V140 - Potato Flakes #10 - 6

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    1. Yard and garden cleanup.
    2. Fed and turned the compost.
    3. Planted peas and garlic.
    4. Ran down to the lake and found where the crappie are lurking.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    I also planted my garlic!

XL Dawn
    2 Fruit Fresh
    Multiple bulk spices & spice mixes
    Soap Bars, Toothpastes, Mouthwashes, Shampoos
    plain bleaches, ammonias, vinegars, & peroxide
    D batteries
    bulk TP & napkins
    Multivitamins
    Med/Surg Supplies, TNTC
    XL cooking oils
    More PB & Tuna

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lost my mind for a moment...

...and went down to May's Greenhouse for some seed potatoes and onion plants. Terrible idea to go to that wonderful place with a fresh tilled garden waiting. 50 bucks later I'm flying home to beat the rain.

Planted onion plants, 2 varieties lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, beats, broccoli, cauliflower, a variety of hearty herbs and rolled the dice with some sacrificial beans. The seed potatoes didn't make it under the mulch, but there is still plenty of time for that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Replaced the sights on the 10/22 and SKS with TechSights (TS100 on both) and sighted them in. Down to 400 rounds of 7.62x39 stored, but worth it for better sights. Need to pick up another 200 rounds to get back to my minimum.

Picked up the SAS Survival Guide (small edition) for the bug out bag.

Top Bottom