• ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    HOLY thread resurrection!!

Nothing wrong with that. *Somebody* would have surely pointed out "this has been discussed before" if a new thread was started. When it comes to this, sometimes you can't win for losing! I found this thread specifically because I was looking for info on 20 gauge HD shotguns.

My parents recently asked me for some advice on HD guns. They are both in their mid-70's. I'm strongly leaning towards advising them to buy a 20 Ga. semiauto shotgun. My biggest concern is my mom isn't very strong anymore, so I want to make sure that whatever they get isn't going to hurt her wrists or her shoulder if she's the one that ends up using it. I thought about a Glock 9mm, but I'm afraid she'd limpwrist it all to hell and make it jam, or have a hard time racking the slide. I've got several semiauto pistols I could let them just borrow for free... but I doubt my mom is strong enough to rack the slide on a HiPower, or a Beretta. My dad isn't a concern. Although he's 77, he still works outside and has some muscle in his arms. I have no doubt he could handle any firearm I would recommend or let him borrow.

But the 20 Ga. just seems to be the best choice from my way of thinking.

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    I have a 20ga double barrel, and a mossberg 500. for each I have a ammo slide on the stocks that way in the wee hours of the night, I wont have to be digging around for ammo... I practice quick loading them and both work for me.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I would suggest getting a little real world ( of sorts) handle on the relative power of the 20 ga buckshot by trying to do some hunting( varmints, coyotes and groundhogs) with it. My point is that I'm not sure either 12 or 20 ga buck of any size is that much of an over penetrator. I've shot a number of critters with 12 ga #4B to 00B and while much smaller than a man the pellets usually were all in 'em. The ones that hit of course. I think the 20 would be plenty stout for HD. A 20 ga slug is still more powerful than a 44 mag handgun. Shooting flesh is different than drywall. Just like the surface tension of water flesh has a resistance to penetration out of proportion to it's " strength" or hardness.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I going with the 12 ga. riot type gun if I was going to use a shotgun for home defense.
    I would have to see the pellets go through a body and a wall and still have any energy left to harm whoever was on the other side before I would believe it, doubt they even make it through the body!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It was a real simple choice for us...my wife did NOT like the 12 gauge HD gun I had. She did, however, enjoy my older Mossberg 20 gauge 28" smoothbore and 24" rifled slug (deer) shotgun.

I looked around and found a Remington 870 Tactical (factory extended mag) in 20 gauge and had a Meprolight front night sight installed. I put a neoprene 5-shot shell holder on the buttstock and a nylon sling on it. We load it with seven rounds of #3 shot (that's 20 x 25 caliber pellets per shell) and keep 5/8oz. slugs, as backup, on the buttstock. I haven't found anyone 'man enough' to stand in the hallway and let me crank a few rounds at them (so much for those who make 'compensating for something' comments!!!)

This is about 'home defense' and protecting our children against predators. Needless to say, I am confident that my wife won't hesitate to grab this shotgun to defend our three small children (5, 3, & 2), and use her Glock 26 9mm as a backup!

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nothing wrong with that. *Somebody* would have surely pointed out "this has been discussed before" if a new thread was started. When it comes to this, sometimes you can't win for losing! I found this thread specifically because I was looking for info on 20 gauge HD shotguns.

My parents recently asked me for some advice on HD guns. They are both in their mid-70's. I'm strongly leaning towards advising them to buy a 20 Ga. semiauto shotgun. My biggest concern is my mom isn't very strong anymore, so I want to make sure that whatever they get isn't going to hurt her wrists or her shoulder if she's the one that ends up using it. I thought about a Glock 9mm, but I'm afraid she'd limpwrist it all to hell and make it jam, or have a hard time racking the slide. I've got several semiauto pistols I could let them just borrow for free... but I doubt my mom is strong enough to rack the slide on a HiPower, or a Beretta. My dad isn't a concern. Although he's 77, he still works outside and has some muscle in his arms. I have no doubt he could handle any firearm I would recommend or let him borrow.

A 20 gauge is a great choice...but have you considered getting them a .38 revolver? Just a thought...but a good .38 (hammer81 has a nice one for sale on INGO) in +P can do quite a bit of damage and the recoil is quite managable. Also, you can't 'limp wrist' a revolver and cause a jam. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Spot on, Amishman. A gun that they will USE beats one that they WON'T... and in a time of crisis it can't be a matter of hesitation. I've actually become a fan of the Saiga for HD. To each their own in that department. Some people like the pump guns. I own a mossy 500 as well. Regardless of 12,20, whatever and pump, semi, etc... it MUST be something that will be grabbed without hesitation. That trumps all of the testosterone and "how much drywall will it go through" in my book.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Can I find 20ga buckshot at walmart, or meijer? Seen slugs, but I've never seen it. I can get 12ga buckshot anywhere for great prices.

I have a 12ga mossberg cruiser, and have no issues using it, recoil is NOTHING i would consider bad.

In your case I can understand why you'd prefer a 20ga, and I agree. But I will stick with my 12ga, it suites me and my situation well.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    A 20ga will do just about anything you want it to do with your choice of shells. From 2 3/4 low recoil 00 to 3" copper plated. My friend in a wheel chair got spun around with a 20 ga untill he went to low recoil. Now he is pumping them out with consistancy. His next step was .410 which is also devastating with the correct ammo for the individual shooter.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I got a nice Saiga 20 I'll sell ya. It has an 18 inch barrel and takes a detachable box mag and will fire 2 3/4 or 3 inch slugs,shot,flachettes,salt rocks ,or whatever. 400 bucks which is a good deal for a very reliable multi purpose semi auto shotgun! PM if interested.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    OK I know that all the nifty tactical shotguns are 12 gauge guns, so the burly manly men will probably give knee jerk reactions and say that the whimpy 20 gauge is the wrong answer here . . .

BUT

. . . for those open minded enough to listen, I have to wonder if the 12 gauge is wrong and the 20 gauge is really the better choice for a home defense gun.

Ballistics, the 20 gauge provides 70% of the energy on the target, but has only 50% of the recoil of the 12 gauge. So it is a very efficient round. No question that buckshot from either gun will punch neat little 32 caliber holes right through bad guy. No question that (at home defense distances) that either of them will provide very tight 1.5" to 3" groups into center of mass.

Size, if the only person in the house is an adult male, then we can end the discussion right here and say a 12 gauge is fine, but if there are teen age children, even pre-teens, or if there is a smaller framed spouse in the house, then a YOUTH SIZED 20 gauge will fit these smaller people much better, further it will reduce the overall length of the gun slightly because the stock will be shorter, making it easier to move through doorways and hallways.

Thoughts?

Sounds to me like you've already thought this through very well and have a great answer. Who cares what the internet commandos think, do what's best for your family (which I have no doubt that you would do anyway).

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg

What about a .38 revolver? Your mom should have no troubles with that. Perhaps the S&W .38 Bodyguard with integrated laser.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    What about a .38 revolver? Your mom should have no troubles with that. Perhaps the S&W .38 Bodyguard with integrated laser.

I'm hoping that's not too much sarcasm in the post but generally the desire for a shotgun over a pistol for HD is because handguns, even with a laser require a modicum of proficiency to operate and have a much higher miss potential than a shotgun loaded with buckshot.

Basically a .410 shoots 4x .38 caliber projectiles in one triggerpull. (IE: Hornadays new .410 personal defense 000buck loads)

Not to mention shotguns are generally much more cost effective to obtain.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Agreed SSD... and a properly done Saiga 410 will put out 15 X the above load... and will do it in a HURRY... Hang in there GarandGuy, if that 20 of yours sticks around long enough I may be able to pick it up without winding up in the dog house! You know the only reason I didn't already grab it was because a Saiga 12 beat your 20 in a race to my safe... :D I can only grab 'em so fast before the Accounting Department starts getting alarmed!

Top Bottom