• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Imagine this. Cop asks person a what's your name, the person is silent as is his right. The cop then asks, what is your friends name. When the person is still silent, viola, failure to aid an officer charge.
    Yeah this whole thing seems to be just not right.

I guess you could get run in with "refusal to aid an officer" for not assisting him in trying to find out if you are doing something illegal or not. :dunno:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    That's what I was getting at. It was an attempt by the officer to get them on something. Most likely they didn't ID themselves or hand over their LTCH and when searching them for transport he found their LTCHs and decided to try to get something to stick. It will likely go away after a court battle but fit will also help clearly define what is meant, hopefully.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That seems to be the gist of the case at hand. Apparently, IC can countermand the 5th Amendment.

Not exactly. This hasn't been to court yet and there is still the 'reasonable cause' clause that you can statutorily refuse and not be found guilty.

Though one of the (very) few examples of case law we found on the issue does NOT raise any of our hopes.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Not sure about the legality of that arrest, though I'm not the confrontational type. I don't think you HAVE to carry your permit, but I always do and I automatically give it to the officer along with my DL if asked.
    If you are packing you must also pack your permit,
    Just like when you drive, you must have your DL on person or in vehicle

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If you provide LTCH and you are not driving, that is identifying yourself AND providing your license to carry.

No need to show driver's license unless you were driving a motor vehicle.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    No need to show driver's license unless you were driving a motor vehicle.

:+1:

Just to have this said ONE MORE TIME.

Unless you are OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE you are never required to show your DRIVERS license to a LEO in the sate of Indiana. If you are required to ID yourself for an infraction or ordiance violation then name, DOB and address are suffecient to meet the requirements of state law.

IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    :+1:

Just to have this said ONE MORE TIME.

Unless you are OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE you are never required to show your DRIVERS license to a LEO in the sate of Indiana. If you are required to ID yourself for an infraction or ordiance violation then name, DOB and address are suffecient to meet the requirements of state law.

IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor

The one thing that I'm slightly unclear about with this part of the IC is the "if in the person's possession" portion.

I understand that I can supply (1), but is (2) supposed to supersede (1) if it is in my possession? Otherwise, why would that addendum be necessary.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    No. Name addy and date of birth, if you haven't commited an infraction you do not have to show license.

I also have my DLN memorized, so I don't even have to pull it :)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've wondered that myself, Archaic, but I think the use of "or" in lieu of "and" makes (1) and (2) independently available. Manifestly, I cannot present my DL if I do not immediately possess it, but even if I physicly possess it, it is still my choice whether to satisfy the requirement to ID to authorities via (1) or (2).

If there is statute in the IC which states something stupid like "OR" and "AND" are to interpretted as interchangeable (as the Terre Haute city code does), then that might be wrong. Manifestly, the presentation of a DL is accompanied by the presentation of name/addr/dob.

Top Bottom