• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    They were not charged for not showing their LTCH, they were charged for failing to aid an officer.
    The IC, as changed, does not say anything about carrying the license with you; it says that you must be licensed. BIG difference.

This is exactly right. When the Indiana legislature passed the "guns at work" bill, they specifically struck the requirement that the license be in your possession at the time of contact.

While the intent of the legislature may not be clear from the IC as it stands, reading the bill as passed and accepted, which shows the strikeouts, eliminates any confusion.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Two charged after refusing to show gun permits

Just as I thought before, the auto knife charge is COMPLETE :bs:

No other updates that I can find but this is a really good article that has more details.
    Nice find with more info. It appears that the Porter Co. Prosecutor was the one that gave the authorization to arrest for "failure to aid a police officer"

It also appears that it was directly related for refusing to show an ID and gun permit upon request.

I just wonder when and where they came up with applying it to a situation like this or even if it's been used previously? :dunno:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Nice find with more info. It appears that the Porter Co. Prosecutor was the one that gave the authorization to arrest for "failure to aid a police officer"

It also appears that it was directly related for refusing to show an ID and gun permit upon request.

I just wonder when and where they came up with applying it to a situation like this or even if it's been used previously? :dunno:

Good catch. I read it but focused on the knife charge. He called the prosecutor because he didn't know what to charge them with so he called the prosecutor.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well this did occur in PORTER county which is worse than LAKE county on the. Gov side (local) in terms of gun related charges. We have a NWI member who willavoid porter county when we go to winamac from lake county due to the experiences he has witness from the porter county pros office. They are evi period!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    We are all suppose to be on the same side right.....if an officer asks to see your DL and your LTCH then show it. He or she has a job to do too people!
    I will not give up my rights, just to make someone elses' life convienient. If asked, I will show my LTCH merely to avoid becoming a test case for the new wording of the law. Depending on my mood, and the demeanor of the officer, I might show my DL; but there is no requirment in law for me to do so.
    This will be an interesting case as there is conflicting law. On the one hand the law says that you only have to id yourself if suspected of an infraction or violation. Now we have these two guys arrested for failure to aid a cop (paraphrase) because they wouldn't id themselves. I may have to go to the trial...

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    We are all suppose to be on the same side right.....if an officer asks to see your DL and your LTCH then show it. He or she has a job to do too people!

I'm on the side of the law. He can ask for the LTCH but you do not have to carry it anymore, after you are arrested & you show it, all arrest suff goes away.
    You don't have to have your ID to pick up trash, or hand it over when asked, unless its for an ordance or infraction.

Be should be out stopping crime, not stopping people picking up trash.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

not-this-again.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

How soon we forget...
    aa-police-state-your-papers-please-excellent-one.jpg

But nnnnnooooo that can't happen here in the USA. :rolleyes:

Consider this my NEGATIVE REP to you now that it has been disabled.

This will be an interesting case as there is conflicting law. On the one hand the law says that you only have to id yourself if suspected of an infraction or violation. Now we have these two guys arrested for failure to aid a cop (paraphrase) because they wouldn't id themselves. I may have to go to the trial...

Any clue if they have attyed up?

Be should be out stopping crime, not stopping people picking up trash.

:rofl: The job of the police is to bring revenue into the local gov and nothing more. Stopping crime is not of of their priorities anymore.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What we have here is a failure to communicate.

IANAL. BUT I DO READ LAW.

IMO from what I have read in many sources many laws were inacted postbellam to keep the negro* in his place. Among these were vagrancy, decency (dress codes) and gun control laws. Nigras* who were apprehended by police for infractions of the black laws, would be subsequently tried and sentenced to work for their former slave owners for long periods.

I see failure to assist in the same light, sort of a catch all, being used to apprehend societal throwbacks (Civil righrs activists).

When I was a kid there was an ordinance that you could not walk down the steet in a bathing suit. My sisters and I did all the time and were never accosted. I was informed that it was to keep "negroes off 'OUR' beaches", but when the civil rights minded started bringing charter bus loads of black people to the beaches the practice could not be kept up.

Many do not realize that the RTKABA is not just an unalienable right but aCivilRights issue.

We need to have an OC trash pick-up event in Porter county, some Saturday. Get Kirk or Guy prepare a PDF with all pertenent IC and Case law citations that each attendee can print out and carry. Print two, one for a friend. Leave our LTCH and DL in the trunk and go out and perform a publi serv ice we can bring drinks and refreshments and have an OC tailgate party after.

*Please understand that the use of these terms is to present the attitude of the day in which they regularly used. I have purposly avoided the most offensive. I appologize in advance to any who are offended by my historical use of those words

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    We need to have an OC trash pick-up event in Porter county, some Saturday. Get Kirk or Guy prepare a PDF with all pertenent IC and Case law citations that each attendee can print out and carry. Print two, one for a friend. Leave our LTCH and DL in the trunk and go out and perform a publi serv ice we can bring drinks and refreshments and have an OC tailgate party after.

*Please understand that the use of these terms is to present the attitude of the day in which they regularly used. I have purposly avoided the most offensive. I appologize in advance to any who are offended by my historical use of those words

& you have all the tools here on INGO to strt just that.
    NWI INGO has a list of members that you can PM
    you can post a poll to determine the best date
    you can post the event in the events thread

So get to it then. organize us.

Top Bottom