• ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

I had these made by Mel of Doggrips.com. The guy lives about 2 hours from Ft. Wayne in Michigan. He gets the skins from some friend in India. I'm actually trying to sell mine to fund another gun.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I think I read the same reviews you did.
    What I took away from it is two thing that make it successful...
    1) Gotta bend the "curved" part PRECISELY to fit the front strap area or it won't work right.
    2) A little bit of duct tape on the inside of the temp front strap will keep it from moving and protect the finish of your gun.

We'll see. (Got an email that my stuff shipped today)

Guess I'll find out which I prefer. I'm only putting it on one. Leaving skate tape on a couple others, and the remaining are checkered already.

So JetGirl you have had the temp front strap for a while now. What is your opinion of them?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No wiggle or slip upon firing. No pinching of fingers, etc. Not too aggressive to the point of being uncomfortable after long periods of time shooting. Overall...a decent option for a cheap "checkering" job if you don't want to spend that much.
    I think the secret to keeping it stationary is to hold it in place super tight while tightening down the grips.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    No wiggle or slip upon firing. No pinching of fingers, etc. Not too aggressive to the point of being uncomfortable after long periods of time shooting. Overall...a decent option for a cheap "checkering" job if you don't want to spend that much.
    I think the secret to keeping it stationary is to hold it in place super tight while tightening down the grips.

Thanks for the info. Did you also use duct tape on the inside of the front strap for better fit / keep it from moving around?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thanks for the info. Did you also use duct tape on the inside of the front strap for better fit / keep it from moving around?

No, but there were a few very slight spots of residue left from the removed skate tape that I intentionally did not clean off. As tiny as they were, though...I really can't see them making or breaking the end result...
    YMMV.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    www.westvirginiawoodarts.com

Let them know that PowdeR sent ya!

JetGirl - I'm tellin ya... Get ahold of Mike & Garry at the www.westvirginiawoodarts.com.
    OK, PowdeR... I'm ready to order something very cool and completely different... I just don't know what!

You guys have any design ideas?

I'm thinkin' two more pair maybe...
    And "two more" is just about right. One full size, one compact size...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The West Virginia Wood Art grips have been ordered, but aren't started yet.

But the RAASCO grips...

They came! They came! :D

DSCN0191.jpg

Here they are on the Kimber Ultra Carry II SS;

DSCN0198.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Did an Ingo search and came across this thread. Been thinking about trying out some thin grips on my American Classic II Government model.

I went ahead and ordered a set of Ultra Thin Ranger 1/2 checkered grips. The price seems reasonable as well. :rockwoot:

1911 Ultra Thin grips slim wood handgun

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did an Ingo search and came across this thread. Been thinking about trying out some thin grips on my American Classic II Government model.

I went ahead and ordered a set of Ultra Thin Ranger 1/2 checkered grips. The price seems reasonable as well. :rockwoot:

1911 Ultra Thin grips slim wood handgun

These look pretty nice. I am having second thoughts about changing mine out after talking to a guy who thought that it might be better for me to keep the thicker grip panels. He says that my trigger finger placement is more critical than being able to drop a mag without adjusting my grip to do so. With thin grips I may have too much finger on the trigger.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Don't forget, you're gonna need to take the standard bushings out of the frame and use slim bushings/slim grips.
    :yesway: These grips actually come with the correct bushings and screws. Just need to swap them out.

Top Bottom