• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I went to Brownells for some stuff last night and decided to give the temporary front straps a try. It'll replace the skate tape...

I had considered trying these on a RIA but after research found 50 - 50 negative and positive reviews. So I passed. I would be very interested in your review of the temporary front straps.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    As far as slim grips I have had VZ and alumigrips and they are fine but the ones I like the most came on my wife's Kimber Aegis Pro 9mm. These feel real nice to me, I don't know why but I would choose them over the other grips I have had.

Kimber America | Pro Aegis II

If they can be bought by themselves that is

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I had considered trying these on a RIA but after research found 50 - 50 negative and positive reviews. So I passed. I would be very interested in your review of the temporary front straps.

I think I read the same reviews you did.
    What I took away from it is two thing that make it successful...
    1) Gotta bend the "curved" part PRECISELY to fit the front strap area or it won't work right.
    2) A little bit of duct tape on the inside of the temp front strap will keep it from moving and protect the finish of your gun.

We'll see. (Got an email that my stuff shipped today)

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    SNV11333.png

I had Larry from Monkey Grips make these for me. The medallions are S&W tie pins that he inlayed. Larry will make just about anything for you, send him an idea of a picture and he'll make it. I believe he has a CNC type machine to make the designs. I had also heard he used to be the one who made the G10 grips for some of the Springer 1911's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went to Brownells for some stuff last night and decided to give the temporary front straps a try. It'll replace the skate tape...

Don't know if those are the same as the Wilson checkered add on for the front strap, but someone I know has that on his 1911 and it's pretty nice. AT first I thought he had a checkered front strap.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They are indeed slim. Gotta use the slim bushings/screws for them.
    The cut isn't super deep, so they aren't as rough-feeling as they might appear. Enough for a decent friction in grip, but not overdoing it.

Where did you get them? My son is in the AF and that might be a nice tribute to him.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I tried the Wilson front strap and wasn't impressed. Just a couple of weekends ago, I hand-checkered my front strap and it turned out pretty well, but it's time consuming and it's gonna require a refinish. I was prepared for that though.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I'd love to, but I don't have that kind of time/talent/patience, nor the tools to acquire any of the three.

With the proper tools, you can make, build, and do anything. You might not be able to do it right at the moment, but with knowledge and woodworking tools, you very well can make your own grips - how do you think the manufacturers do it?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    With the proper tools, you can make, build, and do anything. You might not be able to do it right at the moment, but with knowledge and woodworking tools, you very well can make your own grips - how do you think the manufacturers do it?
    Thanks, though... You've given me a really good idea.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The big selling point for JetGirl, they are thinner than normal grips but use the standard bushings.

I've got some like that, too... Wilson, & VZ maybe...and they are OK, but not as great-fitting as actual slim (where you need slim bushings/screws).

Top Bottom