• ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    JetGirl - I'm tellin ya... Get ahold of Mike & Garry at the www.westvirginiawoodarts.com cause everything they make is custom, from thickness to design. Just got in a set of Firewood Maple grips for my GSG 1911-22. (Yeah, $150 set of grips for a .22... I enjoy my "toys")

If you PM me your email, I can send you a pic of what they did for me. Agressive grip, but doesn't look ordinary, like basic checkering.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you are willing to deal internationally and don't mind a product of Vietnam, these grips are quite good. I have the dragon grips and while not as grippy as a good checkered grip, they provide enough purchase.

The only catch is that I don't think they come in a slim form.

Water buffalo horn grips

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Jetgirl the barbed wire grips are great. Where did you find those?
    They were in the "Monkey Grips" link in Ryan's post;

I contacted Larry (from Monkey Grips) and he's making me a pair of the ones with the old school Air Force logo on them...in SLIM. I sent the money order yesterday.
    But I'm not done yet, so keep on posting links. I'm thinkin' two more pair maybe...but I don't want all the same thing. And I'm kinda drawn to the unique stuff that not everyone seems to have. I liked those barbed wire ones, too. :D

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is just a general comment, it wont aid JetGirl in her search for slim grips.

After seeing all the links to some really great grips it reminded me. I like the look of smooth wood grips, really beautiful and add some real class to the classic 1911 look. In the not too distant past you really only had two basic choices for grips. Smooth or rubber. Smooth as in wood (even wood covered in skin) or some type of bone. I used to have nothing but wood grips on my guns. Now grips have evolved into some very neat textured enhanced synthetics.

Although wood is beautiful, for shooting grips I have been totally won over by the super grip texture of VZ grips. I have them on my 1911's and CZ 75B. I have tried glass nylon imitations of VZ grips and even rubber textured grips. None allow you the kind of comfortable perchase you get from VZ grips. Just an observation of how things have progressed in the world of gun accessories. Just one of those Aha moments.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    First pair showed up today...

And they. Are. AWESOME!!

I stuck them on the ATI for a little bit...I don't know if that will be their home, but for now, I DIG IT.

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    First pair showed up today...

And they. Are. AWESOME!!

I stuck them on the ATI for a little bit...I don't know if that will be their home, but for now, I DIG IT.

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

Those are sweet! but how do they feel? are they really slim? I've got some slim alumagrips that fit me well, but I've been looking for something with a bit more personality and might check into these guys.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Those are sweet! but how do they feel? are they really slim? I've got some slim alumagrips that fit me well, but I've been looking for something with a bit more personality and might check into these guys.

They are indeed slim. Gotta use the slim bushings/screws for them.
    The cut isn't super deep, so they aren't as rough-feeling as they might appear. Enough for a decent friction in grip, but not overdoing it.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    They are indeed slim. Gotta use the slim bushings/screws for them.
    The cut isn't super deep, so they aren't as rough-feeling as they might appear. Enough for a decent friction in grip, but not overdoing it.

very cool! Was this considered custom work, or was it something stock? I've got an idea I'd like to try and would like to find someone to make them for me.

Top Bottom