• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    has anybody had Black Nitride done to your 1911? and if you send the barrel in do they mask the inside of the barrel off or can that be done as well?

Are you talking about Melonite or Ion Bond? I have the Melonite treatment on a custom 1911 of mine and the entire pistol is Melonite, including the barrel in and out and no problems.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Still debating what to do with the finish.... thinking of doing a sniper gray cerekote for frame and then black for the slide....or possibly even a Black Nitride from a local place here in town....idk....decisions decisions....

That would look cool. I am thinking of the same combo or maybe all black. I have a SS pistol and I saw one(maybe on this thread?) that had the matte parts painted black and the rest left SS. I may consider that also. I just really don't care much for the matte SS finished parts on my SA.

iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Are you talking about Melonite or Ion Bond? I have the Melonite treatment on a custom 1911 of mine and the entire pistol is Melonite, including the barrel in and out and no problems.

I think it is similar to Melonite but the process is different. There is a place in Ohio that does it and on their website it shows some of the pistols they have done. It looks pretty nice. I called and talked to them about it and they charge "by the run" meaning whatever you can fit on the conveyer for one run will cost $200 bucks. They said about 4 slides and a frame would fit on it. So if you got 4 people to do it or so you'd be looking at $50 bucks a person to get something redone. Just can't decide what i want to do.

Welcome to H & M Metal Processing

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HM-Black-Nitride/135258783158128?fref=ts

iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That would look cool. I am thinking of the same combo or maybe all black. I have a SS pistol and I saw one(maybe on this thread?) that had the matte parts painted black and the rest left SS. I may consider that also. I just really don't care much for the matte SS finished parts on my SA.

Yeah if you have the basic 1911, from what my brother-in-law told me (hes a gunsmith out of columbia city) that they are not stainless underneath because you can't parkerize stainless. Stainless is chemical resistant, hence why they use them for cookwear. So if you take off that finish just make sure you do something with it before it starts to rust. And i was not a fan of the parkerizing on my 1911 at all so i removed it... :scratch:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah if you have the basic 1911, from what my brother-in-law told me (hes a gunsmith out of columbia city) that they are not stainless underneath because you can't parkerize stainless. Stainless is chemical resistant, hence why they use them for cookwear. So if you take off that finish just make sure you do something with it before it starts to rust. And i was not a fan of the parkerizing on my 1911 at all so i removed it... :scratch:

I don't think any parts of my pistol are parkerized. Just the top of the slide and some areas on the frame are not polished to a high sheen. I wouldn't call mine a basic 1911 though.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    My Kimber Pro CDP II after a trip to TD Metal Works. She had a little posterior work done and now she's sporting an Ed Brown bobtailed mainspring housing with checkering to match the front strap checkering.

Wearing a pair of VZ Elite Tactical Carry grips that the guys @ TD Metal Works contoured to match the angle of the bobtailed MSH.

665153_480151985338330_2072405338_o.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My Kimber Pro CDP II after a trip to TD Metal Works. She had a little posterior work done and now she's sporting an Ed Brown bobtailed mainspring housing with checkering to match the front strap checkering.

Wearing a pair of VZ Elite Tactical Carry grips that the guys @ TD Metal Works contoured to match the angle of the bobtailed MSH.

665153_480151985338330_2072405338_o.jpg

Nice! What colors do you have on the parts and frame?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom