• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    What is the fascination with making these ugly green guns today? Yes, I think the gun I just bought is hideous, but I had to own one. I'm kind of a 38 Super junkie, and new production Colt Commanders in that caliber are few and far between. This one is a series 70 instead of a series 80. I'm not sure when the last time one of those was made. You're so close Colt to making a perfect gun. You can do one that's a series 70 and you lost the front cocking serrations. Can you just not make one in blue or stainless and maybe throw on some night sites?

LhovJdG.jpg

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    Been a while.....some of y'all might recall that I initially came here hunting down a Randall I heard tell was for sale - and bought it.

Fast forward to earlier this year, when I got an email from a guy on another site that heard I was looking for the last Randall to complete my collection of their 45's - a B131. He was VERY reasonable in his price, but unfortunately I just didn't have the extra $$$ on hand. Thankfully, he was willing to wait, knowing how important completing my collection was.

Anyway - after 32+ years of haunting gun shows and websites, I have FINALLY completed my quest, and have all 10 of the .45 caliber 1911's Randall made (in quantites >100 - the others I'll likely never even see). To be sure - if the opportunity presents itself, I'd certainly purchase the rarer models, but I'm completely satisfied my quest!

The two left rows are the standard, RH models - the 3 on the right are the "Southpaw" models.

Attachments

• Family portrait.jpg
      Family portrait.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 46

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Been a while.....some of y'all might recall that I initially came here hunting down a Randall I heard tell was for sale - and bought it.

Fast forward to earlier this year, when I got an email from a guy on another site that heard I was looking for the last Randall to complete my collection of their 45's - a B131. He was VERY reasonable in his price, but unfortunately I just didn't have the extra $$$ on hand. Thankfully, he was willing to wait, knowing how important completing my collection was.

Anyway - after 32+ years of haunting gun shows and websites, I have FINALLY completed my quest, and have all 10 of the .45 caliber 1911's Randall made (in quantites >100 - the others I'll likely never even see). To be sure - if the opportunity presents itself, I'd certainly purchase the rarer models, but I'm completely satisfied my quest!

The two left rows are the standard, RH models - the 3 on the right are the "Southpaw" models.

Wow, very impressive!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Congratulations. I am happy for you.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Anyway - after 32+ years of haunting gun shows and websites, I have FINALLY completed my quest, and have all 10 of the .45 caliber 1911's Randall made (in quantites >100 - the others I'll likely never even see).

That is really an amazing (and expensive!) feat. Congratulations on a beautiful collection!

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    That is really an amazing (and expensive!) feat. Congratulations on a beautiful collection!

Thank you. Not as expensive as one might think, all told. For many years, the guns were overlooked because they "Aren't a XYZ" (insert Gun of the Month), and several were bought under $500. The last one was the most expensie - and even then, I purchased it for about 1/4th of the current auction sale values because a fellow collector wanted it in the hands of someone that appreciated the gun itself - not the rarity. I've been approached several times to sell them for some pretty crazy prices, but I intend to pass them on to one of my two sons. The other one won't be shorted, however....there's 78 45's in my collection so far....lol

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Thank you. Not as expensive as one might think, all told. For many years, the guns were overlooked because they "Aren't a XYZ" (insert Gun of the Month), and several were bought under $500. The last one was the most expensie - and even then, I purchased it for about 1/4th of the current auction sale values because a fellow collector wanted it in the hands of someone that appreciated the gun itself - not the rarity. I've been approached several times to sell them for some pretty crazy prices, but I intend to pass them on to one of my two sons. The other one won't be shorted, however....there's 78 45's in my collection so far....lol

Wow dad, that really means a lot to me! You are correct I won't be disappointed either way.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So this happened yesterday...

xz4Vv3t.jpg

My wife and I have been discussing picking one up so we stopped by Indy Trading Post since they had a rental and she could hold it. While talking to the guys there it came up how serious we were about it, turned out they were looking to trim the rental cabinet down. The Coonan wasn't rented often and he made a really good offer on it. Normally I wouldn't be interested in rental guns, but I'll admit the offer was fantastic (it was less than every Coonan on GunBroker). Not like it mattered a whole lot. While I was working through it in my mind, my wife decided it was too good of a price to pass up and she bought it!

Overall, it has some exterior wear (shocker!) but it is in great shape otherwise.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

xz4Vv3t.jpg

My wife and I have been discussing picking one up so we stopped by Indy Trading Post since they had a rental and she could hold it. While talking to the guys there it came up how serious we were about it, turned out they were looking to trim the rental cabinet down. The Coonan wasn't rented often and he made a really good offer on it. Normally I wouldn't be interested in rental guns, but I'll admit the offer was fantastic (it was less than every Coonan on GunBroker). Not like it mattered a whole lot. While I was working through it in my mind, my wife decided it was too good of a price to pass up and she bought it!

Overall, it has some exterior wear (shocker!) but it is in great shape otherwise.

Seriously nice hand-cannon, congrats! :yesway:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

xz4Vv3t.jpg

Very nice. I've been intrigued by that gun since I watched Hickok45 do a video it.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Sure, I'll do that. Here's probably my favorite hand gun to shoot that I own. It's a Coonan 357 magnum. It throws one hell of a fire ball, but shoots so good.
    20170326_182944-M.jpg

20170326_183255-M.jpg

20170326_182839-M.jpg

Screenshot_20170222-183537-M.png

Screenshot_20170222-202325-M.png

Screenshot_20170222-202305-M.png

xz4Vv3t.jpg

Hard to go wrong with a 357 magnum automatic!
    I've not had any luck shooting 38 specials though. The extra spring that came with mine is still too stiff to let them eject.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It ate the 357s like candy today and was the talking point of the firing line. Thought I’m not sure was more fun, watching my 5’3” petite wife shoot the pistol while laughing or watching full grown men refuse to give it a try! I got a laugh from that.

I’ve read 38+P does better with function.

Top Bottom