• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have both a Wilson and Kimber magazine. The Wilson is nice but needs a bit of force to seat it fully with eight rounds. The Kimber, also an eight round, won't seat at all unless there are seven or fewer rounds in it. The Para mags pop right in fully loaded.

I'll take a guess and say the mags are near new or haven't been used much. I load all my new mags full and stack 'em up on the bench for a while until softened up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have both a Wilson and Kimber magazine. The Wilson is nice but needs a bit of force to seat it fully with eight rounds. The Kimber, also an eight round, won't seat at all unless there are seven or fewer rounds in it. The Para mags pop right in fully loaded.

Mag it up with the slide locked back. The Kimber is not long enough to hold 8 and insert it with the slide forward.
    Like Vert said, the Wilson ETM's are the ticket. My 47's work fine with 8 in them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

If you want a true 8 round mag go with the Wilson ETMs or Tripp magazines. The body of the mag is longer to accommodate the eighth round. The 47Ds can sometimes be hard to seat on a closed slide with that last round. I actually carry my extra magazine with 7 verses 8 rounds in it. Magazine in my gun is 7+1 flush fit. I prefer an off side magazine with a base bad since it rubs my love handles less then the sharp stainless base of the alternative. I deliberately download to make seating the spare magazine easier. Plus it gives me a place to put my +1 if the need ever arouse that I needed to unload. I do the same thing with my extra Glock magazine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you want a true 8 round mag go with the Wilson ETMs or Tripp magazines. The body of the mag is longer to accommodate the eighth round. The 47Ds can sometimes be hard to seat on a closed slide with that last round. I actually carry my extra magazine with 7 verses 8 rounds in it. Magazine in my gun is 7+1 flush fit. I prefer an off side magazine with a base bad since it rubs my love handles less then the sharp stainless base of the alternative. I deliberately download to make seating the spare magazine easier. Plus it gives me a place to put my +1 if the need ever arouse that I needed to unload. I do the same thing with my extra Glock magazine.

The ArchAngel grips save my ample handles......:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a set for a certain Caspian framed 1911. I like them for $30 from the LGS. But my carry gun sports a "grippier" set of VZ gatorbacks.

I just took a set of VZ Grippers off the para I finished today. It got the AA's. I like them. Fit up nicely to my hand.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks for the feedback!

Now I'm waiting to have some extra $$ so I can look into new magazines and grips :)

Look over any new mags very well. I looked at some of the new Wilson blue mags with the flat springs and they're ROUGH. New mags with the followers hanging up, come out the top only, etc. I was VERY disappointed in them. I would have sworn that Wilson wouldn't put their name on a mag like that. They'll most likely eventually break in and smooth out but DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Look over any new mags very well. I looked at some of the new Wilson blue mags with the flat springs and they're ROUGH. New mags with the followers hanging up, come out the top only, etc. I was VERY disappointed in them. I would have sworn that Wilson wouldn't put their name on a mag like that. They'll most likely eventually break in and smooth out but DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping I don't run into anything like that, but I guess we'll see. The first thing I need to do is pick up another 2 mags. I like to have a minimum of 4 mags for each of my guns. It'll also be nice when my buddy gets the .45 die set for his Dillon 650 so he can start reloading .45 and I don't have to pay so darn much for the ammo! I knew what I was getting into, as I'd been watching prices, but still....

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    I love 1911 i love the looks and the feel of them they are a working deadly piece of art. now having said that i would not own another unless i could just afford to treat it like a piece of art and hang it on the wall. there are i wont say better but more practical weapons out there. guns with a much lower failure rate (the 1911 is a fine gun if you buy a good custom or get a stock 1911 reworked) with all that said i personally go for a higher capacity mag my personal everyday carry gun is a Taurus pt 24/7 pro 15+1 in .40 and am even thinking of going to the dreaded glock simply because it has a track record of not failing under extreme duress. i know Glock sucks but all the evidence all points to it having one of the lowest failure rates of any modern semi-auto pistol on the market and if my life is going to depend on something working i'll go with it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love 1911 i love the looks and the feel of them they are a working deadly piece of art. now having said that i would not own another unless i could just afford to treat it like a piece of art and hang it on the wall. there are i wont say better but more practical weapons out there. guns with a much lower failure rate (the 1911 is a fine gun if you buy a good custom or get a stock 1911 reworked) with all that said i personally go for a higher capacity mag my personal everyday carry gun is a Taurus pt 24/7 pro 15+1 in .40 and am even thinking of going to the dreaded glock simply because it has a track record of not failing under extreme duress. i know Glock sucks but all the evidence all points to it having one of the lowest failure rates of any modern semi-auto pistol on the market and if my life is going to depend on something working i'll go with it

Brother please look at the M&P line up before you fall through the cracks and buy a Glock. Just give them a look-see first.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    A couple of questions have come up. First of all, the only gun grease I've found locally in stores has been a brand named Outers. Anyone have any experience with it?

Mobile 1 makes an excellent lube for use on pistols. grease may be to much in cold weather.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Still saving my nickels for a Colt Commander... the LW feels like it is lighter than the stats indicate than the regular steel model.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    i am thinking of them and will have one eventually. but i kind of like the idea of the glock being so popular means more mag's and spare parts when the zombies come lol

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    There are plenty of spare parts for the 1911 Johnwhite. The platform has been around so long there may even be more than there is for the Glock line. Each are good platforms and it depends on what you want. I love my G19. I use it as a range gun, nightstand gun and I occasionally carry it. Solid, dependable and reliable. I even enjoy shooting it. My normal carry though is an M&P Shield. While only having a 7+1 capacity (the way I carry it), I feel it's enough and it's great to CC because of how light and thin it is.

For now, my 1911 is purely a range gun, but man is it a joy to shoot. Something about the heft of that all steel gun and the .45 that it's made for that is special. I can actually see myself doing occasional open carry with it, once I get myself a holster. The more I use the 1911 the more I want to use it :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are plenty of spare parts for the 1911 Johnwhite. The platform has been around so long there may even be more than there is for the Glock line. Each are good platforms and it depends on what you want. I love my G19. I use it as a range gun, nightstand gun and I occasionally carry it. Solid, dependable and reliable. I even enjoy shooting it. My normal carry though is an M&P Shield. While only having a 7+1 capacity (the way I carry it), I feel it's enough and it's great to CC because of how light and thin it is.

For now, my 1911 is purely a range gun, but man is it a joy to shoot. Something about the heft of that all steel gun and the .45 that it's made for that is special. I can actually see myself doing occasional open carry with it, once I get myself a holster. The more I use the 1911 the more I want to use it :D

:hooked:

Top Bottom