• Status
    Not open for further replies.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    There is no limit on the # of pages/post in a single thread that the website can do. However after so many pages/post in a single thread the website database begins to 'slow down' so the MODs will lock and start a new thread to ensure that the 'slowness' is not experienced.

Look at the unofficial status updated thread and how many parts that has to understand the concept.

Something like 5000 posts. The mods broke the NWI general thread into two at that point. Helps the database or some such.

ah i see thank you folks! makes sense i figured there would be some kind of a size limit due to performance. but i didnt know how to word it......

thanks again

jake

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Bluffing? Bluffing?!

Do you really think justice is a freaking poker game?

"We'll, I'll throw these baseless **** charges against the wall and see what I can get to stick!"

"I'll charge him with so much **** he'll be glad to plead down!"

Overcharging someone when it is NOT warranted is a strong arm tactic,
    it is a coercive act to manipulate the "justice" system to the ends of the state.
    A witch hunt, if you will.
    :noway:

Kutnupe didn't express an opinion on the validity of the tactics, but he is in a position to know that they are used routinely, not only to manage to get a conviction of a criminal, but to enhance the Prosecutor's record of convictions. Prosecutors are, after all, political animals.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kutnupe didn't express an opinion on the validity of the tactics, but he is in a position to know that they are used routinely, not only to manage to get a conviction of a criminal, but to enhance the Prosecutor's record of convictions. Prosecutors are, after all, political animals.

I tired to rep you, but i can't right now.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Were Trayvon Martin Witnesses Coached to Change Their Stories?
    Bennett L. Gershman, Professor of Law, Pace
    ...the fact that all of these witnesses changed their original accounts -- given to the police when their memory of the event was fresh and they were not being interviewed by prosecutors trying to build a homicide case against Zimmerman -- raises the troubling implication of improper witness-coaching.

Trayvon Martin shooting wasn't a case of racial profiling
    Mark NeJame, CNN legal analyst and the founder and senior partner of NeJame, LaFay, Jancha, Ahmed, Barker and Joshi, P.A., in Orlando.
    Is it racial profiling for a black man to avoid going into a biker bar at night in a small rural town? Is it racial profiling for a white person to refuse to take a stroll through housing projects in a large urban city at midnight? Is it racial profiling or life's cumulative experiences and knowledge or simply common sense that would cause one to formulate an opinion?

A civilian standard of profiling is much different legally than that applied to a law enforcement officer.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Actually, overcharging to force a lesser conviction hurts a prosecutor's conviction rate if anyone bothers to even look at what the convictions are for. When a prosecutor routinely pleads major or violent felony charges to significantly lesser offenses, not only does it make that prosecutor look weak, but it also puts criminals on notice that they can't back up their charging and so to set stuff for trial.

Ethical issues aside, it is a short term fix which creates a long term problem. I've seen a number of prosecutors quickly become ineffective by pulling such shenanigans.

There is only one way for a prosecutor to maintain a solid conviction rate and that is to be a proficient trial attorney AND to only charge crimes he/she has evidence to sustain his/her burden on.

Best,

Joe

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Actually, overcharging to force a lesser conviction hurts a prosecutor's conviction rate if anyone bothers to even look at what the convictions are for. When a prosecutor routinely pleads major or violent felony charges to significantly lesser offenses, not only does it make that prosecutor look weak, but it also puts criminals on notice that they can't back up their charging and so to set stuff for trial.

Ethical issues aside, it is a short term fix which creates a long term problem. I've seen a number of prosecutors quickly become ineffective by pulling such shenanigans.

There is only one way for a prosecutor to maintain a solid conviction rate and that is to be a proficient trial attorney AND to only charge crimes he/she has evidence to sustain his/her burden on.

Best,

Joe

You being "in the biz", I'll accept your correction, Sir. However, we've all seen the aftermath of political pressure when a prosecutor - especially a Special Prosecutor - gets involved in a case with political ramifications. Think "Duke LaCrosse".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Someone try to use this for more gun control.

fb5549d5-f751-4875-9c20-6ca2dc011cae.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You being "in the biz", I'll accept your correction, Sir. However, we've all seen the aftermath of political pressure when a prosecutor - especially a Special Prosecutor - gets involved in a case with political ramifications. Think "Duke LaCrosse".

Oh, don't get me wrong, it happens and the more political the case the more pressure for such a thing to happen. My point is that it virtually never works out like the over-charging prosecutor thinks it will as it both diminishes the prosecutor's reputation for being able to sustain his burden and it diminishes the public's faith that they system is fair/impartial.

Best regards,

Joe

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it happens and the more political the case the more pressure for such a thing to happen. My point is that it virtually never works out like the over-charging prosecutor thinks it will as it both diminishes the prosecutor's reputation for being able to sustain his burden and it diminishes the public's faith that they system is fair/impartial.

Best regards,

Joe

Could it be that overcharging may be of little consequence to the politics likely behind all this? If (by some fluke) Z is convicted as charged, it's a political win. If (by all reason) Z is acquitted, it's social injustice and riots in the street...still a political win.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Could it be that overcharging may be of little consequence to the politics likely behind all this? If (by some fluke) Z is convicted as charged, it's a political win. If (by all reason) Z is acquitted, it's social injustice and riots in the street...still a political win.

I seriously doubt the Governor will consider it 'a political win' if rioting results no matter the outcome of the trial.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom