• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I don't understand why a 16 year old was in a 20 year old's house at 11:30 p.m. on a school night (if the reports in the news are accurate). Nothing good can come of that...
    I was wondering the same thing. By all accounts she was a really "good" kid and he was apparently not so "good". Just goes to show that even "good" kids can be in the wrong place.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You mean like drunk driving or something? Is that deadly enough?

I already covered the drunk driving analogy in detail in a previous post. I suggest you read it. I won't repeat the whole thing, but I'll say that, while drunk driving is well known to be potentially fatal, drunk driving does not equate to picking a victim to run over intentionally.

This kid used a weapon made for killing, and purposefully acted out the steps necessary to kill the young lady.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've owned guns since I was in elementary school. Never did stupid sh*t with any of them.
    Understood what an "absolute" was even then.

Too bad some people just don't spontaneously combust at age 12.

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lots of discussions on this thread ... seems like the 4 rules have been talked about plenty before, so I won't bother to post them, but clearly that was the first thing I thought of when I read the article.

20 year old men are prone to be reckless, short sighted, and impulsive. Introduce a few females in the area and that amps up even further. I agree with the posters who say this wasn't murder, as I do not believe his intent was to kill her. He was taking a completely selfish and unnecessary risk, putting her life in danger (not his own) in order to show off and exercise power. It was something I can't imagine doing, but I've also had the benefit of training and gun safety drilled into me from a young age.

Having said that, I agree he should be punished severely - his actions were stupid, deliberate, and ultimately caused her death. I can't imagine what I would do as that young woman's father...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I vote for life in prison for the crime of stupid......or the girls father gets to do the same thing to him. I don't see it as revenge, but rather justice.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Listen - Yes, I feel sorry for the kid. I feel horrible for the parents of the Girl as well. The boy, was not educated properly on the proper use of a firearm. If in his mind, the gun was truly unloaded, and he had no intentions to shoot her, he's only guilty of reckless homicide. He should be punished, he needs to go to jail.

The 4 rules would have prevented this. But there is a difference between "assuming the gun is always loaded" and the "fact that a gun can be unloaded" You should always assume the gun is loaded, but in order for you to clean your weapon, you need to pull the trigger. At that point, you check to make sure the gun is Unloaded. It has to be, or else you get a hole in your kitchen table.

His mindset likely told him, since he took the magazine out, the gun was "PHYSICALLY" unloaded, like you do when you clean your gun. Only he was mistaken and didn't know the proper way to ensure it was unloaded. So he is guilty of being stupid, uneducated. I've said it before, he did not mean to kill her. He acted stupidly, and as a result she was shot and killed. He needs to be held responsible for that, but it was by all accounts an "accident" and not "Intentional"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I sold a Shield this morning. The customer was familiar with firearms but clearly not an expert. I don't know how many times I repeated that this firearm did not come with a magazine disconnect and to always check for a clear chamber prior to showing it to someone else, cleaning or storing in a clear condition.

I hope all of us reinforce for the safety rules when handling firearms with friends, family or customers.

Always. I wear people out with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I plan on remembering this story for a long time so I can tell my daughters about it. Hopefully, it can prevent another tragedy from happening.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Listen - Yes, I feel sorry for the kid. I feel horrible for the parents of the Girl as well. The boy, was not educated properly on the proper use of a firearm. If in his mind, the gun was truly unloaded, and he had no intentions to shoot her, he's only guilty of reckless homicide. He should be punished, he needs to go to jail.

The 4 rules would have prevented this. But there is a difference between "assuming the gun is always loaded" and the "fact that a gun can be unloaded" You should always assume the gun is loaded, but in order for you to clean your weapon, you need to pull the trigger. At that point, you check to make sure the gun is Unloaded. It has to be, or else you get a hole in your kitchen table.

His mindset likely told him, since he took the magazine out, the gun was "PHYSICALLY" unloaded, like you do when you clean your gun. Only he was mistaken and didn't know the proper way to ensure it was unloaded. So he is guilty of being stupid, uneducated. I've said it before, he did not mean to kill her. He acted stupidly, and as a result she was shot and killed. He needs to be held responsible for that, but it was by all accounts an "accident" and not "Intentional"

and if he had put a hole in the kitchen table we wouldn't be talking about it on this forum. There is no way to draw an analogy between pointing a weapon at the table while cleaning it and pointing it at another person while "joking around". I'm fairly certain that pointing a confirmed empty firearm at me and pulling the trigger would be a one time event in someone's life. He doesn't get a pass because he didn't check the chamber when he dropped the mag. He pointed a weapon he knew was capable of causing death and pulled the trigger.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Knowing he was on probation for drugs I have to wonder how much they played into this. If the kid is a stoner well, Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm curious if your even allowed to have firearms while on probation? Years ago, I was on probation in Hamilton County for a DWi and part of the agreement was I would not posess any firearms while on it. Just wonder if that's still the case.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    and if he had put a hole in the kitchen table we wouldn't be talking about it on this forum. There is no way to draw an analogy between pointing a weapon at the table while cleaning it and pointing it at another person while "joking around". I'm fairly certain that pointing a confirmed empty firearm at me and pulling the trigger would be a one time event in someone's life. He doesn't get a pass because he didn't check the chamber when he dropped the mag. He pointed a weapon he knew was capable of causing death and pulled the trigger.

Im not saying the actions are comparable. I'm saying the mindset that the weapon is unloaded is comparable. Every time I clean my gun, that trigger pull and click is extremely loud. I check it two times or more and still every time, I'm expecting a bang. That's why it's pointed in a safe direction.

what I'm saying is, he expected to hear a click, followed by laughter.

I completely agree that anyone pointing a firearm at me and pulling the trigger on an empty chamber would be a big mistake on their part as well. I'm not giving this guy a pass. He acted very reckless, and someone paid for his mistake with their life. For that he needs to be punished to the maximum extent of the law. It just isn't murder 1/2.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No one's saying he gets a pass. I think he was charged appropriately.

Frz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I'm curious if your even allowed to have firearms while on probation? Years ago, I was on probation in Hamilton County for a DWi and part of the agreement was I would not posess any firearms while on it. Just wonder if that's still the case.

Under State statute, anyone under probation must refrain from possessing or owning a fireman unless they have approval from the court or the probation officer.

Frz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Carmel
    No one's saying he gets a pass. I think he was charged appropriately.

I don't, and I also think her parents and boyfriend should face charges for child neglect and endangerment. What the heck were her parents thinking allowing their 16 y/o daughter to be out with her college age boyfriend at 11:30 on a Sunday night? Why the heck did her "boyfriend" take her to the house that was occupied by two other older guys especially when he likely knew that the shooter was no "choirboy". The shooter already had been arrested for possession of marijuana/hashish and underage possession of alcohol. For these charges he got his "pass" in a conditional discharge, the terms of which he promptly violated and then plead guilty to the charges receiving a slap on the wrist fine and probation which he once again promptly violated. He was due in court soon to answer to those charges when he killed the girl.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Under State statute, anyone under probation must refrain from possessing or owning a fireman unless they have approval from the court or the probation officer.

How much does a fireman cost to own? Are thy potty trained?

Top Bottom