• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    There seems to be a shortage of compassion here abouts.
    I know no one on this forum was every young and dumb and has never may mistakes in judgement or done anything stupid whatsoever.
    It's refreshing to be around such perfect people.

hipocrisy makes me want to puke.

The only vice that cannot be forgiven is hypocrisy. The repentance of a hypocrite is itself hypocrisy.
    ~ William Hazlitt

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I look at like this, if your going to play with a gun, the only victim of that kind of stupidity should be the one playing with it. Unfortunately it rarely works out that way.

I am only without sympathy for the shooter and family if they were "ALL" aware he was in possession of the gun and were also aware he is an idiot.

There are real people in real pain on both sides of the gun in this horrible situation. Those who witnessed it will be forever changed. The family's on both sides will be forever changed. The friends of the young girl will be forever changed.

Yes, we were all young once and made many decisions that we regret.
    The decision made by this young and foolish person deserves no sympathy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The sad part is he didn't put the gun to his own head before he pulled the trigger. You can't fix stupid, but it would have culled the herd some. I feel sorry for the girls family, and absolutely zero sympathy for the shooters family.

Sometimes dumb mistakes go without consequences, sometimes the consequences are grave. Had he pointed the gun, pulled the trigger, and it went "click" instead of "bang", the consequence likely would only have been a frightened and/or pissed off girlfriend instead of a dead one. If that were the consequence, this thread wouldn't exist, and you wouldn't want him dead. But his horribly irresponsible actions would be the same either way. Reckless Homicide seems appropriate.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Guns aren't toys. I don't understand how some people don't get it? If your pointing it at something you don't intend to destroy and pulling the trigger your reckless at least. I think manslaughter applies here.

everyone does stupid things yes, but pointing guns at people unless in self defense, is not just another stupid act that's remotely comparable. It's deadly. It's on the level of drinking and driving stupid.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    There seems to be a shortage of compassion here abouts.
    I know no one on this forum was every young and dumb and has never may mistakes in judgement or done anything stupid whatsoever.
    It's refreshing to be around such perfect people.

hipocrisy makes me want to puke.

The only vice that cannot be forgiven is hypocrisy. The repentance of a hypocrite is itself hypocrisy.
    ~ William Hazlitt
    I've done stupid stuff before, but never anything this stupid. I hate nothing more than people saying, "He's only 20, just a kid . Remember how dumb you were when you were 20?" Not all of us are equally as stupid as the young man that did this. Don't you dare lump me in with him.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I sold a Shield this morning. The customer was familiar with firearms but clearly not an expert. I don't know how many times I repeated that this firearm did not come with a magazine disconnect and to always check for a clear chamber prior to showing it to someone else, cleaning or storing in a clear condition.

I hope all of us reinforce for the safety rules when handling firearms with friends, family or customers.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Saying a 20 yr old pointing a gun at another is just a young person's act of stupidity............well that just makes me want to puke.

Amen! I never pointed a real gun at anyone in my life. I surely have inadvertently sweeped some people, but there is a huge difference between that and aiming at their chest and pulling the trigger. People here saying he was "just a dumb kid" (20yo) is beyond ridiculous IMO. I have zero sympathy for the shooter, and hope he is made an example of--and yes, I'd much rather he put the gun to his own head than picking an innocent target for his mischief.

"Play" is maybe taking a wooden katana or stick and swinging it in slow motion as if you are cutting someone's head off. It is not play when someone (who is 20 BTW, not a 5yo) swings a real sword at someone's neck at full speed, intentionally mimicking chopping their head off. You can't then say it was just some sort of innocent "mistake" when their jugular is cut wide open. Maybe you could say that if the sword was swung randomly and someone was cut, but not when you swing the sword at a person's neck on purpose. Am I getting through to anyone?

He took aim at the center of her chest, and pulled the trigger. It doesn't matter if he thought it couldn't fire without the magazine, because it is still a deadly weapon, like a car or a sword. No sane individual goes around pretending to kill people with REAL deadly weapons! It is not in any way the same as a gun falling and going off dueto negligent handling.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I was that stupid/ignorant when I was that age. And I am sure there are plenty of people out there that are as well, especially if they grew up in a city and not around guns. What amazes me is I seem to be the only one that has ever done anything that could have been very dangerous to someone else.

I sure do wish I was as good as the rest of you folks.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I was that stupid/ignorant when I was that age. And I am sure there are plenty of people out there that are as well, especially if they grew up in a city and not around guns. What amazes me is I seem to be the only one that has ever done anything that could have been very dangerous to someone else.

Not saying I haven't driven recklessly or anything else that may slip my mind at the moment, but I have never intentionally pointed a gun at someone and pulled the trigger. That's all I'm saying.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

Wow! You are admitting to pointing a real gun at someone and pulling the trigger... when you were in your 20's? Well I can see how you might sympathize with the shooter, but that doesn't make me think better of him, only worse of you.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Reckless, negligent and pure idiotic behavior. Negligence alone, KNOWING FULLY the power of a firearm, and still pull the trigger, should be the thing pressed home by us to new gun owners.

I put it akin to something that happened to me recently: Was depressed, alcoholic, and had a variety of things in my life that I turned to drink rather than friends with (bad job, passed over for joining the IMPD, girlfriend issues, friends turning their backs on me, etc...). Excuses, excuses. I couldn't take it one night and, after drinking heavily, tried to turn my Mossy 500 on my head. Being completely drunk, I missed when it slipped and fired a round into my wall, which struck the house next to mine, entering their home. Was picked up by the police after the sobering round and put into 72 hour hold, drying out. I realized several things: What happened, what I might have done, where I ended up and what the uncertainty of the future held.

The neighbors were moving (husband had got a new job and they were packing), had left to get something to eat while I did my idiotic and reckless act. Their child's room was where the impact point was. Had they been home, it would have been arrestable, no doubt. On top of everything I had to face, I faced another fact: I was inconsolable to the point of wanting to die at the thought of having almost killed a child. I cleaned up, talked to the neighbors, even ended up taking them to dinner after I repaired the damage to both houses. Got my life back on track. But, fact remains, every action, even if we don't think about long term situations, has a consequence, unintended or not.

The kid in the article was just like me: Not thinking. I was drunk (oh, yeah, that's a great ****ing excuse), but not sure about him.

Think slow, act fast. Think before doing anything with a gun. Had a friend put a hole in his hand when cleaning a gun. Knew a guy who shot off his finger with a .22 short. These are all acts of negligence that have long term effects. But to point a gun at another person like that kid did, unexcusable, as my crime was unexcusable as well.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Wow! You are admitting to pointing a real gun at someone and pulling the trigger... when you were in your 20's? Well I can see how you might sympathize with the shooter, but that doesn't make me think better of him, only worse of you.

Never pointed a gun at anyone intentionally but did some truly dangerous things back in the day. I did grow up around firearms and had respect for what they are capable of.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It didn't sound like BK was sympathizing with the shooter. More like empathizing. There's a difference. So does BK deserve what you think this kid deserves?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    And BK never said he pointed a gun at anyone either. Just that I was stupid/ignorant in my 20's

You aren't getting it still then. There is a HUGE difference between being a wild and crazy youth--as we all were--and pointing a gun at someone AND pulling the trigger. To say that you were "as" reckless as that is not true unless you did something equivalent with a deadly item.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You aren't getting it still then. There is a HUGE difference between being a wild and crazy youth--as we all were--and pointing a gun at someone AND pulling the trigger. To say that you were "as" reckless as that is not true unless you did something equivalent with a deadly item.

You mean like drunk driving or something? Is that deadly enough?

Top Bottom