• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Do you think he'll be any smarter in 4 1/2 years?

no, and a 30 year old felon is not likely to recover from this. At best he can volunteer his time afterwards to tell his story and help others. More than likely he will be part of the McDonalds Union and be on strike asking for $25/hr.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Had a round in the chamber and was clearly an inexperienced gun handler.

Hmmm……I wonder where this has been discussed before?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It should be ****ing murder charges...If someone shot either of my daughters they would pray for death

its not too different than a hunting accident.

"I though he was a deer"
    and
    "I thought it was unloaded"

are a very similar defense.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Had a round in the chamber and was clearly an inexperienced gun handler.

Hmmm……I wonder where this has been discussed before?
    Let's not go there in this thread. Bottom line is that following the 4 rules would have prevented this regardless of whether or not one was in the chamber. I think we can all agree on that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What a unfortunate and preventable incident. Were drugs or alcohol a factor? Guns drugs and or alcohol don't mix well. I can't parent for others but my children will never be out at 11:30 without adult supervision while under my roof and on a school night to boot. It's not societies job to parent my children.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    What a unfortunate and preventable incident. Were drugs or alcohol a factor? Guns drugs and or alcohol don't mix well. I can't parent for others but my children will never be out at 11:30 without adult supervision while under my roof and on a school night to boot.
    But she was with a 20 year old...that's an adult.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    Horrible situation, of course. My wife and I used it today, though, as a teaching moment. I was just going over the rules of handling and proper clearing procedures of a weapon with the family this weekend. My wife noticed the story and pointed out that the guy pointed the gun at someone he didn't intend to shoot, had his finger on the trigger, and failed to assume the gun was loaded at all times. Since the article said he thought the gun was empty after dropping the mag, I pointed out how that related to the lesson this weekend and how important it is to properly clear it. The situation is sickening. I really feel for the parents and other loved ones of this girl.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This story really hits home for me because I've have been in this guy's shoes. I shot my friend's little brother in the chest in a very similar scenario. Fortunately for me it was with a pellet rifle.

When I was 12 we were playing cards at a neighborhood friend's house on the back porch. His little brother, who was 10 at the time, got up to go inside to get something and I sat in his seat. When he came back he got mad I had taken his seat and he picked up one of several pellet guns the brothers kept laying around. (They were a family that my mom would have called a "bad influence." No dad around, very little supervision from mom. But that's sort of beside the point.)

Anyway, he pointed the rifle at me and told me to get up. I did, but of course I thought, "two can play this game," so I walked over and picked up a second rifle that was leaning up against the wall over in the corner. I pointed it right at his chest from about 4 feet away and pulled the trigger. He doubled over and yelled that I'd shot him. Of course I thought he was joking around at first, but then I started to see the blood spreading on the front of his shirt.

I had thought the gun was unloaded, but in retrospect I could clearly hear the bb's rattling around inside the rifle when I picked it up. I can still hear that sound today when I think of it. The kid had to go to the hospital and have the bb removed from his chest. It went in at an angle and tunneled about 6 inches under his skin before it stopped. His older brother later told me that he had pumped the rifle up enough to kill a rabbit before we had arrived to play cards. The doctor said if it had penetrated straight through it likely would have hit his heart and very well could have killed him

I remember riding my bike home from their house crying because I had just shot my friend's brother and he was on the way to the hospital. Thank goodness the kid was okay after they took the bb out and stitched him up. I see him every once and a while when I go back home and he can joke about it now. But the worst part about the whole ordeal was that the weekend before I sat through the 2 day NRA hunter's safety course so I could go deer hunting with my Dad that year. Obviously the material didn't quite sink in the first time.

Needless to say I don't take the four rules for granted these day. I hate that it took this experience for them to sink in for me. I'm thankful I wasn't older and holding a real rifle that day.

It's absolutely tragic that this young girl lost her life, because she happened to be sitting in front of an idiot that had to learn that learned the lesson the hard way too. There are no winners here.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    This story really hits home for me because I've have been in this guy's shoes. I shot my friend's little brother in the chest in a very similar scenario. Fortunately for me it was with a pellet rifle.

When I was 12 we were playing cards at a neighborhood friend's house on the back porch. His little brother, who was 10 at the time, got up to go inside to get something and I sat in his seat. When he came back he got mad I had taken his seat and he picked up one of several pellet guns the brothers kept laying around. (They were a family that my mom would have called a "bad influence." No dad around, very little supervision from mom. But that's sort of beside the point.)

Anyway, he pointed the rifle at me and told me to get up. I did, but of course I thought, "two can play this game," so I walked over and picked up a second rifle that was leaning up against the wall over in the corner. I pointed it right at his chest from about 4 feet away and pulled the trigger. He doubled over and yelled that I'd shot him. Of course I thought he was joking around at first, but then I started to see the blood spreading on the front of his shirt.

I had thought the gun was unloaded, but in retrospect I could clearly hear the bb's rattling around inside the rifle when I picked it up. I can still hear that sound today when I think of it. The kid had to go to the hospital and have the bb removed from his chest. It went in at an angle and tunneled about 6 inches under his skin before it stopped. His older brother later told me that he had pumped the rifle up enough to kill a rabbit before we had arrived to play cards. The doctor said if it had penetrated straight through it likely would have hit his heart and very well could have killed him

I remember riding my bike home from their house crying because I had just shot my friend's brother and he was on the way to the hospital. Thank goodness the kid was okay after they took the bb out and stitched him up. I see him every once and a while when I go back home and he can joke about it now. But the worst part about the whole ordeal was that the weekend before I sat through the 2 day NRA hunter's safety course so I could go deer hunting with my Dad that year. Obviously the material didn't quite sink in the first time.

Needless to say I don't take the four rules for granted these day. I hate that it took this experience for them to sink in for me. I'm thankful I wasn't older and holding a real rifle that day.

It's absolutely tragic that this young girl lost her life, because she happened to be sitting in front of an idiot that had to learn that learned the lesson the hard way too. There are no winners here.

Were any charges filed?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Were any charges filed?

No, my buddy's mom never called the police, but my parents came over a few days later and we all sat down together and talked through the situation. I explained how terrible I felt and she made me come over and mow their lawn a few times. There really weren't any hard feelings after that, which was good, because their yard had the best sledding hill in the neighborhood.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    No, my buddy's mom never called the police, but my parents came over a few days later and we all sat down together and talked through the situation. I explained how terrible I felt and she made me come over and mow their lawn a few times. There really weren't any hard feelings after that, which was good, because their yard had the best sledding hill in the neighborhood.

Curious about you opinion on what charges should be filed in this case?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    To point a gun at someone--a devastatingly dangerous and insane action in itself--AND pull the trigger is clearly first degree murder in my book. He would have to successfully argue that he didn't mean to pull the trigger for me to think otherwise, and it sounds like there were witnesses who saw him point it at her and pull the trigger. Why, why why, would he pull the trigger of a deadly weapon while pointing it at someone if he did not intend to harm them?

Top Bottom