• ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Congratulations ! ......yeah, its a bit wet for a range trip, but I bet that you're itching to try it out.

I still haven't had a chance to shoot mine. I could only find 50 rounds when I got the gun. Still waiting on a few boxes I ordered to get delivered.

In the meantime, I polished the safety plunger and connector. Between that and dry firing about 1000 times, the trigger has smoothed out considerably. It was pretty gritty at first. The takeup is still a mile long but I can get used to that.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I still haven't had a chance to shoot mine. I could only find 50 rounds when I got the gun. Still waiting on a few boxes I ordered to get delivered.

In the meantime, I polished the safety plunger and connector. Between that and dry firing about 1000 times, the trigger has smoothed out considerably. It was pretty gritty at first. The takeup is still a mile long but I can get used to that.
    Other than my store of Underwood carry ammo, I only have enough range 180 grain ball ammo to load both magazines once.
    Figure it's enough for a function test.

Have more ammo coming UPS tomorrow.

Yes, the trigger feels a bit gritty, but by dry firing it several times it's steadily improving.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Just got back from firing both magazines through it (it was all the range ammo I had).
    Felt great in my hand and functioned flawlessly.

That's good to hear. What ammo did you use? I heard the feed issues weren't as much of an issue on the 4.6" models. Really hoping that is the case.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's good to hear. What ammo did you use? I heard the feed issues weren't as much of an issue on the 4.6" models. Really hoping that is the case.
    The ammo was just some Remington UMC "10mm AUTO 180
    GR FMJ" rated at 1150 fps that came in a green and white box.
    Nothing special about it.

I've got 250 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 180 Gr HP coming tomorrow, so I'll be able to put more rounds through it and get a better idea how reliable it is.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Completed the trigger install tonight on the SW M&P 10 mm. Factory trigger specs averaged about 12 ounces of dingus, 2 lbs 8 ounces to the wall and 4 pounds 8 ounces to break.

Just installing the Apex plunger DRAMATICALLY smoothed out the pull to the wall and dropped about 8 ounce out of the pull weight to the wall. I think a bit of polishing of the factory parts would make the factory trigger, no less than, respectable.

Apex trigger (with factory springs) ended up to 8 ounces of dingus, 1 lbs 14 ounces to the wall and 3 pounds 5 ounces to break. Very short travel.

The trigger is just like another Apex in an M&P. Only negative is the reset is barely discernible - which is typical.

Installed the 507c ACSS Vulcan reticle red dot with the factory plastic baseplate. The plastic baseplate seems adeqaute but I can't say it instills confidence. We will see how it works under use.

d3d36ec353bbcebff6230f6c5c161a86.jpg

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Completed the trigger install tonight on the SW M&P 10 mm. Factory trigger specs averaged about 12 ounces of dingus, 2 lbs 8 ounces to the wall and 4 pounds 8 ounces to break.

Just installing the Apex plunger DRAMATICALLY smoothed out the pull to the wall and dropped about 8 ounce out of the pull weight to the wall. I think a bit of polishing of the factory parts would make the factory trigger, no less than, respectable.

Apex trigger (with factory springs) ended up to 8 ounces of dingus, 1 lbs 14 ounces to the wall and 3 pounds 5 ounces to break. Very short travel.

The trigger is just like another Apex in an M&P. Only negative is the reset is barely discernible - which is typical.

Installed the 507c ACSS Vulcan reticle red dot with the factory plastic baseplate. The plastic baseplate seems adeqaute but I can't say it instills confidence. We will see how it works under use.

d3d36ec353bbcebff6230f6c5c161a86.jpg
    Quick question, I heard the trigger was pretty good out of the box on these. Can you tell a big difference?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Quick question, I heard the trigger was pretty good out of the box on these. Can you tell a big difference?
    Quick answer: Yes

The new flat faced factory trigger is better than the old hinged trigger but the extra long travel of the dingus gives it an odd feel (to me anyway). It has a lot of travel but the break of the factory trigger is quite good and mine was just under 4.5 pounds. The roughness of the striker block plunger and trigger bar are probably the areas of improvement for the factory trigger.

Pre-travel and over-travel in the Apex is a fraction of what the factory trigger. Pre-travel is significantly smoother due to the Apex plunger. Apex replaces the factory sear and actuator resulting in a more crisp break.

I generally leave the factory springs in the gun and utilize the Apex parts for a lighter trigger pull. If you prefer more of a duty carry weight, Apex provides springs and they have a flow chart which will guide you in the direction you want to tune your trigger weight. Using the Apex springs also results in a little more positive reset.

It really depends on what you want in a trigger. This is a range gun for me and I prefer 1911s and revolvers which makes me a bit of a trigger snob...

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Quick answer: Yes

The new flat faced factory trigger is better than the old hinged trigger but the extra long travel of the dingus gives it an odd feel (to me anyway). It has a lot of travel but the break of the factory trigger is quite good and mine was just under 4.5 pounds. The roughness of the striker block plunger and trigger bar are probably the areas of improvement for the factory trigger.

Pre-travel and over-travel in the Apex is a fraction of what the factory trigger. Pre-travel is significantly smoother due to the Apex plunger. Apex replaces the factory sear and actuator resulting in a more crisp break.

I generally leave the factory springs in the gun and utilize the Apex parts for a lighter trigger pull. If you prefer more of a duty carry weight, Apex provides springs and they have a flow chart which will guide you in the direction you want to tune your trigger weight. Using the Apex springs also results in a little more positive reset.

It really depends on what you want in a trigger. This is a range gun for me and I prefer 1911s and revolvers which makes me a bit of a trigger snob...
    Thanks for your response. Good information!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was able to trade a 1911 for a S&W M&P 2.0 10mm 4" yesterday. Out of the box, I am pretty impressed. Trigger has a bit of grit on the first stage but that should smooth out with use. Break is clean. I am not going to replace the trigger until I see how the OEM trigger breaks in.

Think that I really found interesting is that this 10m fits in all my 9mm M&P holsters. The slide seems to be the same dimensions as the 9mm slide with just a less shallow chamfer on the top. Very interesting.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Finally took mine to the range yesterday. Had a few different types of ammo but all 180 grain. Ran flawlessly although I did have the mag eject itself after 2 rounds during on round of shooting. Definitely slower to return to target than a 9 but understandable.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How was the kick compared to other calibers you've shot?
    It has a healthy recoil by comparison to other semi-auto calibers like 9mm, 40SW, .45 ACP, etc, but nothing unmanageable.
    But your experience could vary based on what you're used to over the years.

Top Bottom