• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    :D You should contact Rush Limbaugh... This was definitely the governments attempt to connect "Bain" with Mitt Romney (considering the guys attire apparently resembled the vilian)!!! Two birds with one stone actually... now they can push through U.N. gun control....
    Given the ATF emails where they discussed allowing guns to walk to Mexico resulting in dead Mexicans resulting in a good argument for gun control, I don't know if I would ridicule the idea.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just more fuel for the anti-gun crowd. This kind of stuff is really getting on my nerves. Yes, these types of things are as a % very rare. However, so is the chances of being in a plane when it crashes.

Each time someone does something stupid like this, legal gun owner or not, it does reflect poorly on all of us that are legal, and inches us ever closer to losing our rights. :noway:

I hate to be pessimistic, but I really can't see how there won't be some attempt to intruduce some pretty stiff gun control legislation in 2013, regardless of who gets elected as POTUS.

Honestly I'm even starting to wonder if there might be even a small thread of merit to some of the cases people are making about tighter control on sales.

Please INGO, cheer me up, and talk some sense into me, but I'm just really starting to have my doubts that there are many in our society who are no longer responsible enough to own fire arms.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since he used an AK, I would expect another AWB to be raised. They will argue that not as many people could have been killed without the large cap mags, etc.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I just read elsewhere that Century Theaters are owned by Carmike...which has a "no firearms policy". Hmmm...
    If i was going to do that I would pick someplace that I wouldn't be stopped by some gun carrying hero. I just CC in those places and I am more aware of my surroundings.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    I have tried that and it is extremely difficult. I would most likely hit targets but they may be innocent bystanders. This would be a very difficult scenario as you put it and anyone who thinks they could have stopped it without knowing the details is an idiot. We train under stress and still have trouble hitting accurately, imagine most of the gun carrying public that just shoot at a stationary target at the range. Most people don't think about scenarios in their heads of when they may need to defend themselves in public but can not do so safely because of the innocent bystanders behind the target or elsewhere in your line of sight. You must be accountable for every round you let loose in public.

Add to that, eyes burning and involuntary closing, lots of snot, airway restricted, coughing fits...effects of CS. Try shooting though that.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've been in a theater in Houston, Texas that was "tear gassed" by disgruntled employees. I was in an adjacent theater, heard the commotion and quietly evacced my family before the panic ensued. Then a couple of us went into the affected theater to try to evacuate a handicapped guy in a wheelchair. I'd been exposed to CS before, and I'm aware that some people can tolerate even high concentrations fairly well, but in the middle of the cloud, it was tough to see and we almost became incapacitated ourselves. It would have been tough for a close-bystander to respond properly with a firearm if exposed to tear gas, or even the smoke of an obscuration device.

While property owners have rights to determine what they will accept and not accept on their property, commercial property owners' rights to manage their property don't trump the individual right to self-defense and to retain the means of self-defense.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    So, how many here are prepared for this situation? I train quite often for the unknown and even familiar with the effects of CS and am a fine shot (firearms instructor) and I can tell you that even I would have had a difficult time to get a shot off. He had the element of surprise, superior firepower, body armor, helmet, gas mask.

^^THIS^^

A handgun in the dark in a crowded panic stricken theater against a guy with body armor. Best you could do is try to pin him down while others escape and probably you would go down in hail of bullets. This is a nightmare situation even for the best shots among us.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    ^^THIS^^

A handgun in the dark in a crowded panic stricken theater against a guy with body armor. Best you could do is try to pin him down while others escape and probably you would go down in hail of bullets. This is a nightmare situation even for the best shots among us.

:yesway:

I think many people just dont want to realize that we cant be ready for every single situation.
    One single man with a handgun is no a SWAT team, no matter how much training you have an how much crap you carry on your person.

I know people dont want to hear that but in some situations there is not much you can do, even if you have a will to fight.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ^^THIS^^

It is easy to play armchair quarterback after the fact. It is a terrible thing that happened that very little could have been done to prevent. In the dark I'm sure it would have been almost impossible to even see the body armor and most would aim center mass to return fire which would have been ineffective anyway. This is just another tragic event that reminds us all to be vigilant and never let your guard down less you be mistaken for a soft target.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Or he might have not cared about dying but wanted to live long enough to take as many as possible with him. :dunno::dunno:

^^^^this^^^^
    Unless you are truly delusional, you cannot have a reasonable expectation of surviving an act like this. But unless you are truly delusional, how could you commit an act like this? :dunno:

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Matt Lauer wanted this to actually be Bane so badly.

I'm wondering how this will change the movie for the next week or so. Are they going to set up security stations, and make sure no one carry a gun into the theater?

Even though the bad guy came in through the back, this sounds like a situation where they will inspect everyone's bag and make sure they have no weapons on them before entering.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    It is easy to play armchair quarterback after the fact. It is a terrible thing that happened that very little could have been done to prevent. In the dark I'm sure it would have been almost impossible to even see the body armor and most would aim center mass to return fire which would have been ineffective anyway. This is just another tragic event that reminds us all to be vigilant and never let your guard down less you be mistaken for a soft target.

I don't know about ineffective.... In a dark, panic stricken theater, breathing CS Gas... you would be lucky to hit center mass at 30 feet anyway. Your just as likely to hit him in the hand or pelvis.

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather have the option to take a shot than not have the option. Besides... imagine what it would feel like to get shot with a 9mm or .45 at 30ft with a bullet proof vest on? I bet its not fun. You put 3 or 4 shots center mass and my guess is its gonna affect his ability to be effective.

Top Bottom