• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Here's my question. "Why" does this appear to a more frequent occurance in the US vs other first world nations? Do we have more wackos per capita? Is it ease of access to firearms? Is it a stupid populace?
    What is the best way to prevent this from happening so frequently?

Guns are banned in China and they have wackos going into schools with axes and knives chopping up children. There is evil in every population on earth. The Joker was the embodiment of evil for the sake of evil.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    There is no easy way to prevent this. We do have more access to firearms, however I don't believe taking everyone's guns would do the trick. There are too many illegal firearms out there and too many people sell privately to get them all. The sad thing is the antis will think that's the solution and will get a lot of the legal firearms from the legal owners, but the criminals will not give them up.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Edit: Signs statewide still carry no weight of law. What you referenced is basically the trespassing law. If asked to leave private property, you must. They've added an unenforceable amendment about signage.

"It shall be unlawful for any person, carrying a firearm, to enter or remain upon any private property of another or any building or property of a commercial establishment when such property, building, or establishment is posted with notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited."

I took this as more than a trespass law

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Here's my question. "Why" does this appear to a more frequent occurance in the US vs other first world nations? Do we have more wackos per capita? Is it ease of access to firearms? Is it a stupid populace?
    It appears to be a more frequent occurrence because we have a relatively open media that reports and reports and reports all sorts of unpleasant stuff, if only to push its political agendas.

(Can you imagine if the media attacked the 4th and 5th Amendments to the same degree. Michael Bloomberg calling for an end to the warrant requirement, that citizens have a duty to incriminate themselves?)

America violent? I was under the impression that the UK has a much higher violent crime rate than the US. But it's better because the criminals don't tend to use guns, and if you resist them you get prosecuted. All the gun control folks would love it there.

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know anything of the kind.

Pekka-Eric Auvinen, Finland
    Anders Behring Breivik, Norway
    Baruch Goldstein, Israel
    David Malcolm Gray, New Zealand
    Marc Lépine, Canada
    Robert Steinhäuser, Germany

Last edited:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    You can't prevent it.

The casualty rate would almost certainly be reduced if all movie-goers were required to carry a firearm...

I didn't see the news report mention anyone returning fire.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It appears to be a more frequent occurrence because we have a relatively open media that reports and reports and reports all sorts of unpleasant stuff, if only to push its political agendas.

(Can you imagine if the media attacked the 4th and 5th Amendments to the same degree. Michael Bloomberg calling for an end to the warrant requirement, that citizens have a duty to incriminate themselves?)

America violent? I was under the impression that the UK has a much higher violent crime rate than the US. But it's better because the criminals don't tend to use guns, and if you resist them you get prosecuted. All the gun control folks would love it there.

Their criminals use guns. Especially gang members. Australia and Britain both had gun massacres in the 80-90's...and used them to Make guns illegal. They still have criminals with guns though. And even Britain had the shotgun taxi murderer several years ago, while most guns were illegal (not shotguns though).

In China guns are banned and they have mass knife attacks, like Ninjas they are, without guns, but just as deadly.

Crime and murder HAPPENS. It is a human trait as a species. Take away one weapon, and we use the next best tool to kill. Our criminals use AR15's here in America because they can choose the best weapon available. Cave man murderers used clubs, and we're not cavemmen. Our species is a tool using species.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Regardless of the armchair quarterbacking and the bravado Denny mentioned...
    I still have to think there'd have been a difference if (for example) an INGO meetup would have been at the Carmike instead of the Golden Corral, and this had unfolded.
    I'd have to believe it would be a "Somebody picked the wrong diner" deal...

give a monkey a gun and it'll shoot everything and itself.
    Hey, now!!!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Their criminals use guns. Especially gang members. Australia and Britain both had gun massacres in the 80-90's...and used them to Make guns illegal. They still have criminals with guns though. And even Britain had the shotgun taxi murderer several years ago, while most guns were illegal (not shotguns though).

In China guns are banned and they have mass knife attacks, like Ninjas they are, without guns, but just as deadly.
    Oh they use guns in China too, but you won't hear about it in the US media.

I worry that in the aftermath of this event we will get some more excellent laws just like the ones Congress passed after 9/11. I don't have much faith in the ability of people to think carefully about ceding more rights in exchange for 'safety'.

Whoops, spoke too soon, apparently Janet Napolitano offered CO help.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    According to the news just now, in the comic books, the Joker kills a studio television audience using gas and other various weapons. Are they going to ban comics for giving him the idea? There is NO WAY you can prepare for this. He had it completely thought out to the T. It is a horrible tragedy and my thoughts go out to these families but we also need to join together now more than ever. I feel that we are going to be a fight. With the election being months away, who knows what is going to happen with this.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Regardless of the armchair quarterbacking and the bravado Denny mentioned...
    I still have to think there'd have been a difference if (for example) an INGO meetup would have been at the Carmike instead of the Golden Corral, and this had unfolded.
    I'd have to believe it would be a "Somebody picked the wrong diner" deal...
    !

We may not have killed him right away with the body armor, but we would have put a hurting' on him :rockwoot:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Oh they use guns in China too, but you won't hear about it in the US media.

I worry that in the aftermath of this event we will get some more excellent laws just like the ones Congress passed after 9/11. I don't have much faith in the ability of people to think carefully about ceding more rights in exchange for 'safety'.

I guarantee an assault weapons ban is being written right now...

VP Biden already has a draft.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. We, as humans, have a tendency to react irrationally. When something happens, we have a tendency to think about what could have stopped that particular attack if people followed laws. They never work how they're intended though. Look at Colombine. Guns are illegal on school property, didn't stop either shooter or the kid in Martinsville. There will never be a violence free society and until people get that engrained into their heads, they'll keep crying for more laws or stricter laws.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. We, as humans, have a tendency to react irrationally. When something happens, we have a tendency to think about what could have stopped that particular attack if people followed laws. They never work how their intended though. Look at Colombine. Guns are illegal on school property, didn't stop either shooter or the kid in Martinsville. There will never be a violence free society and until people get that engrained into their heads, they'll keep crying for more laws or stricter laws.

Yes exactly. It is going to happen. They bit their tongue when Gifford was shot, but not this time. This was the "WORST MASS MURDER IN THE HISTORY OF THE US". They think they require an equally massive law to counteract it. I guarantee it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Just to chime in... I hope people don't react too irrationally to this IDIOT PSYCHO that made a series of stupid decisions... and then acted on them. My heart really goes out to the victims there.
    The cops reacted like pros and so did the other first responders.
    For selfish reasons (like owning ARs, hi-cap mags, etc.), I hope that gun laws don't drastically change or tighten up. I am ok with (and part of me even agrees with) the current process to purchase a gun in general. Waiting periods aren't the end of the world, but it quickly becomes a slippery slope -- I hope we don't lapse back to the Clinton-era bans.
    All that said, my heart really goes out to those people in CO.

Top Bottom