• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    According to the NY Times comments section, we are all accessories to murder. At least those who are NRA members.

Knew I should have joined GOA instead...

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Not to be insensitive or distract from the truly severe nature of this event but I wonder what the impact will be on the ticket sales for this movie going forward. Got to thnk it would be kind of creepy going into a movie theatre this weekend to watch this. My guess is a lot of folks will choose to not see it.

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussions....

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    More accurately...

United 93; some fought back, all died, and thousands of lives were saved.

Colorado; no one fought back, some died, but ZERO lives were saved
    AH! Now that is the aspect of the analysis I hadn't considered. I like that. I like that a lot.

@dnurk:
    Maybe not so many in Aurora, CO, not people are sadistic sonsabeeches. There will be plenty who will go to it just to see the movie that "made a guy commit mass murder". Obviously, that's not why it happened, but it's the public. Perception equals reality. Will there be a significant blip in ticket sales up or down versus what the third Nolan Batman movie would have garnered sans homicide? Prolly not.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not to be insensitive or distract from the truly severe nature of this event but I wonder what the impact will be on the ticket sales for this movie going forward. Got to thnk it would be kind of creepy going into a movie theatre this weekend to watch this. My guess is a lot of folks will choose to not see it.

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussions....
    That's it. He must be a big Avengers fan, and didn't want Batman to gross more on its opening weekend.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Watching Lou Dobbs on FOX, his really making good points against the two libs on the show. One commented that people don't need 2 or 3 guns for self defense. His directing them to the root cause of violence and not the tool used in committing the act.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Get a moped. :D

I agree it was doomed, but action saved lives. Inaction at the theater didn't save anyone.

I take the interstate to work so I prefer a 4 cylinder.

I wasn't debating what you said about the comparison, just adding to it. There seems to be a different mentality when you compare people that know that they're going to die to the people who know they can survive. I'm not going to say what I would have done because being in that situation changes the plan entirely. I will say though that if I felt like I had a chance at stopping him, I would take it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    More accurately...

United 93; some fought back, all died, and thousands of lives were saved.

Colorado; no one fought back, some died, but ZERO lives were saved

Excellent observation.
    Most people are geared to running away from danger. People I've heard interviewed were diving for cover and everyone else be damned I suppose. (That's harsh really. But obviously they're conditioned to duck and cover).

You'd think after United 93 there would be one or more who would go for the guy. I'd like to think that I'd be moving towards the guy with the gun, but who can say unless they're in that stress.

If people aren't going to arm themselves they should at least consider some defensive training or something! If this country gets invaded, they'll roll us over.

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Can someone who knows for sure explain why he surrendered to the police if he was such a nutjob with no respect for life?

Well, I certainly don't know for sure. But it's possible this "Joker" considered the possibility that he may indeed walk away from the scene and live to die another day. I heard it reported that cops may have mistaken the guys as SWAT for a second before he was taken down.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Did anyone miss that this guy was enrolled for a doctorate in neuroscience?

Hard to fathom that ....
    But as someone indicated before: crazy doesn't necessarily mean stupid.
    I think some of these murderers may not even be "crazy" but outright evil.... there's a difference.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Gun laws in Aurora, pertaining the theater shooting:

Aurora has a municipal ordinance which makes it illegal to carry into a premises that is posted "no guns." In other words, the city gave private signage the force of law. Cinemark theaters has had a no guns policy for some time, and has asked law-abiding citizens to leave for exercising their natural and Constitutional right to armed self-defense.

Cinemark Theaters anti-gun policy:
    Cinemark Theaters' No Firearms Policy

Aurora gun ordinance enacted July 10, 2010:
    New Aurora gun ordinance

Municode

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Now the sheeple are blaming it on video games, music, and movies. They are calling for censoring....

Nanny state here we come.

Yep. My fear exactly. By the time this one is all said and done, they might try to completely nullify the bill of rights. 1st and 2nd ammendments are under attack already in this country, and this has sudenly become more fuel for that discussion.

While I will agree (to an extent) that violence in music, movies, and video games may be a factor in our overall moral decline, it is more from a desensitization standpoint more than anything. Saying it is the cause is not any different than saying the reason he killed these people was because guns were easy to get.

Like another poster said...what if he'd chained the doors, and set the place ablaze? Would people be screaming that we should ban matches, locks, chains, and gasoline? And we shouldn't allow the 6 o'clock news to show house fires, or for movies like Back-draft to be made, or heaven forbid, have song about "Setting the world on fire?" I think everyone would see the tragedy for what it is...a sensless act by someone who was not acting in a socially acceptable way was intent on doing harm.

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    EXCEPT in Aurora, Colorado.
    Is this even lawful? My understanding of CO law, and from talking to one CO gun owner, would indicate otherwise. In MI this would be strictly illegal. We have all sorts of municipalities, and even the DNR, trying to make illegal rules and laws. They show up on signs and webpages and pamphlets and in their own ordinances. We continually try to make them take them down and change them, or in some instances, we sue them in court.

Just asking. :dunno:

Edit: Signs statewide still carry no weight of law. What you referenced is basically the trespassing law. If asked to leave private property, you must. They've added an unenforceable amendment about signage.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Well, I certainly don't know for sure. But it's possible this "Joker" considered the possibility that he may indeed walk away from the scene and live to die another day. I heard it reported that cops may have mistaken the guys as SWAT for a second before he was taken down.

That could be another reason for choosing those particular weapons and outfit. Maybe he wanted to be mistaken for a police officer to A) get out safely or B) so he wasn't feared until he decided to pull the trigger. A lot of SWAT teams use ARs and 870s or 500s, as well as PDs using Glock. Is it possible that he felt he could get out if dressed in full gear with common weapons?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here's my question. "Why" does this appear to a more frequent occurance in the US vs other first world nations? Do we have more wackos per capita? Is it ease of access to firearms? Is it a stupid populace?
    What is the best way to prevent this from happening so frequently?

Top Bottom