• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    This doesn't make him invincible though. A throat guard or groin protector are usually designed to protect against shrapnel. I have doubts they could even defeat a pistol round. A direct hit to his protective vest may not even penetrated it but it will still put him in some pain and possibly give somebody enough time to get their hands on him.

Or admin the coup de grace.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Shep just said they are now saying the shooter had a high capacity drum clip in his assault rifle.

Obviously not my words.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Lynch mobs have done terrible things over the years, but I wouldn't be disappointed if a mob broke him out jail and hung him from a street light.

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    I imagine most of the people were either on the floor cowering or crawling to get away. The gunman was likely standing and the only one doing so. Shooting in his direction likely wouldn't hurt any more innocent people than he was doing.

That would depend where you are in relation to the target. This was an auditorium. If you were elevated above him your rounds are going into the floor where people are crawling around. If you are below him your rounds are going up into the auditorium, again where people are on the floor and rushing around trying to get to an exit. All that, plus your eyes are full of gas and your choking yourself. Laying aside the criminality of this thing the guy pretty much had all his angles covered. This was a no win no win situation. Your only option,if you were so inclined, would be to get up to him without him seeing you as fast as you can and drop him.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I read this post this morning as I was about to leave to AMC 16 to see Batman at the IMAX. When I went to the place, you would not believe the irony I felt when I saw that instead of last time where there was just ONE sticker with a no gun symbol on it, EVERY DOOR had that same sticker.

The hell those stickers did for the dead in Colorado.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Wow, the bravado on these boards is impressive. Suppressive fire, shots to the head, blinding him with light, etc. Second guessing those that were there is poor form. I see a sheer lack of understanding of just how chaotic a scene like this is. You got a pitch black theater, a very loud action movie in play, CS gas, shots fired from heavily armed and well protected assailant, people running crawling yelling screaming. Your eyes are burning, you feel like your choking (like someone has their hands around your throat), panic has set in, your visibility is extremely limited...now go fire at a man sized target also wearing black. Now try shooting him in the head. Make sure you don't jerk the trigger otherwise you will miss him completely and hopefully do not his an innocent. This ain't the movies where all shots are true and straight. If you jerk the trigger just a bit at the range...you are going to jerk the hell out of it under stress. Being armed in this situation is 100% better than not but lose the fantasy that this could have easily been resolved by one armed person. Unlikely, but anyone can get lucky I guess. People watch too much TV for crying out loud. Do some basic force-on-force and see how you react to that low level of stress. Now have someone fire real bullets at you and see how you react. Maybe if the patron was an active combat vet who is accustomed to the stress and has seen similar before, that is the person I would like to be sitting next to.

Last edited:

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    Wow, the bravado on these boards is impressive. Suppressive fire, shots to the head, blinding him with light, etc. Second guessing those that were there is poor form. I see a sheer lack of understanding of just how chaotic a scene like this is. You got a pitch black theater, a very loud action movie in play, CS gas, shots fired from heavily armed and well protected assailant, people running crawling yelling screaming. Your eyes are burning, you feel like your choking (like someone has their hands around your throat), panic has set in, your visibility is extremely limited...now go fire at a man sized target also wearing black. Now try shooting him in the head. Make sure you don't jerk the trigger otherwise you will miss him completely and hopefully do not his an innocent. This ain't the movies where all shots are true and straight. If you jerk the trigger just a bit at the range...you are going to jerk the hell out of it under stress. Being armed in this situation is 100% better than not but lose the fantasy that this could have easily been resolved by one armed person. Unlikely but anyone can get lucky I guess. People watch too much TV from crying out loud. Do some basic force-on-force and see how you react to that low level of stress. Now have someone fire real bullets at you and see how you react. Maybe if the patron was an active combat vet who is accustomed to the stress and has seen similar before, that is the person I would like to be sitting next to.
    Amen to that!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Wow, the bravado on these boards is impressive. Suppressive fire, shots to the head, blinding him with light, etc. Second guessing those that were there is poor form. I see a sheer lack of understanding of just how chaotic a scene like this is. You got a pitch black theater, a very loud action movie in play, CS gas, shots fired from heavily armed and well protected assailant, people running crawling yelling screaming. Your eyes are burning, you feel like your choking (like someone has their hands around your throat), panic has set in, your visibility is extremely limited...now go fire at a man sized target also wearing black. Now try shooting him in the head. Make sure you don't jerk the trigger otherwise you will miss him completely and hopefully do not his an innocent. This ain't the movies where all shots are true and straight. If you jerk the trigger just a bit at the range...you are going to jerk the hell out of it under stress. Being armed in this situation is 100% better than not but lose the fantasy that this could have easily been resolved by one armed person. Unlikely but anyone can get lucky I guess. People watch too much TV from crying out loud. Do some basic force-on-force and see how you react to that low level of stress. Now have someone fire real bullets at you and see how you react. Maybe if the patron was an active combat vet who is accustomed to the stress and has seen similar before, that is the person I would like to be sitting next to.

One journalist said he started shooting just during a shooting scene in the movie.
    Any other media reported that? :dunno:
    This journalist said the gunman knew this scene was coming even though it was the premiere.

People might have thought the first few shots were coming from the speakers.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    One journalist said he started shooting just during a shooting scene in the movie.
    Any other media reported that? :dunno:
    This journalist said the gunman knew this scene was coming even though it was the premiere.

People might have thought the first few shots were coming from the speakers.

I heard the movie was FULL of these scenes. He might just as easily got lucky. Who knows. Maybe he will she some light on these questions before he gets the needle.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Before the movie started, I was sitting in the middle up high to get a good view as I always do. I looked around and saw how packed it was going to be. I realized even if I was armed, it changes the odds against me, I have a way to defend myself, but for everyone else around me? It's fishes in a barrel. How clutter the seating is to maximize how many people that can be stuffed into the room, even if the gunman was a horrible shot, with the way people are arranged in the rows, he doesn't need to be. The moment the bullets fly, many will try to run, some will jump around, others will cower behind seats and in the darkness, it is even worse. It isn't like someone behind the projector is going to flip the lights switch on or even stop the movie. So it's going to be loud and with all the bodies moving, it's a crapshoot

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm not a combat vet but I think I have trained well in preparation for active shooters but I could always train more. Even with my mindset and good shooting skills I cannot sit here and tell you that I could have taken him out or even made the situation better. Sometimes the only move is to remove yourself from an unwinable situation without getting yourself or others killed.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

This guy was well-protected, but not invincible. Even a pistol round would be lethal if one could get in a decent position to take a shot, or get him to the ground. Obviously the amount CS gas deployed will affect how much it hampers one's ability to do anything. When you breathe CS gas it feels like glass shards inside your throat, and will cause a burning sensation to any exposed skin. However, if the CS attack was relatively light, then one can still function in it. I've seen a Marine take his blouse and undershirt off and do pushups and jumping jacks in the gas chamber just to be a jackass.

Additionally, a gas mask is cumbersome, it's easy to lose peripheral vision, and you tire out quickly if you exert energy because you can't get oxygen as fast as you would without a mask in normal air.

None of this guarantees success against an attack of this nature, however this POS was not T-1000 in there.

Top Bottom