• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Okay I have been thinking lately about getting a "battle" rifle, e.g. a semi-automatic, mid capacity, accurate to atleast 100 yds w/iron sights, but still great within that range. I want it to be maneuverable (so nothing as long as say a mosin) or can be made to be maneuverable and light weight, (aftermarket stocks, etc.) but the kicker is it can't be more than $500. I do not have the time to shoot alot, or the money to invest in order to make an AR or anything priced like that worth it. so thats not an option.

i have thought about an SKS, and also a Hipoint carbine, but i was leaning more towards rifle caliber. ideally .223 or 7.62x39

the reasons are 1. i have always wanted a rifle like this, just havent foot the bill yet and 2. i want some type of rifle for SHTF. it will not be designated soley for this purpose, since i've wanted a rifle like this for some time it will get it's share of use. but i want one that would be viable for this scenario that would fare better than my 10/22.

I'm drawing a blank..basically i just want to know what other options am i missing other than the SKS and Hipoint for this price range and set of specs. Thanks!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    You could probably build a cheap AR for that if you bought all the parts on sale you might even get a decent one. You could probably find an AK for that if you look, though the price seems to have gone up a fair bit over the last year. I know its a little more than you want to spend, but I am selling a beautiful Springer Socom II with all the trimmings for 1850 :)

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    ahh i did forget about the WASR the only problem is I want more than 10 rounds mag capacity. 20 at the least. I know those type of WASR's are out there but i have never seen one yet.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    ahh i did forget about the WASR the only problem is I want more than 10 rounds mag capacity. 20 at the least. I know those type of WASR's are out there but i have never seen one yet.

Dunhams sells double stack wasr's. Currently $449.

Probably closer to 349 on black friday.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I imagine if you build one with a stripped lower and bare bones stuff, it'd be close

+1 You could build an AR with only the essentials. Wont be the top quality of parts but definitely a functional rifle. You could always upgrade it to higher quality parts as time goes on and money allows.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    For just $100-200 more you could easily build a decent AR-15.

I know you said $500 but what if you spread the purchase out over time (buy the upper, wait, buy the lower, wait, by the lower parts kit, wait, etc).

With any "battle rifle" you are going to want a good stock of mags and ammo too. So you will probably want to have around $200-$250 for that.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    For just $100-200 more you could easily build a decent AR-15.

I know you said $500 but what if you spread the purchase out over time (buy the upper, wait, buy the lower, wait, by the lower parts kit, wait, etc).

With any "battle rifle" you are going to want a good stock of mags and ammo too. So you will probably want to have around $200-$250 for that.

yea i knew that was an option, the only problem is i would much rather have a once and done purchase because i am not too good at finishing long term projects (cough computer build cough). so just so i don't tie up money and not do anything with it i would rather buy something outright. if all else fails i will build, but ik there are alot more options than that.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    WASR's are lagely made double stack now a days...they relized a few years ago that nobody wanted the singel stacks......anyhow it is going to be your best investment BY FAR for your price range and cost of ammo to go with a WASR hi cap...best choice to meet your needs.......I build AR's like buying candy and I can't seem to get them completed for much if ANY less than 600...if I do it's due to a rare occasion purchase...not to mention cost of the AK ammo is considerably less that AR.....I say for you...AK all the way....and I've never paid more than $400 for one...and at this point wouldn't be willing to either

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    WASR's are lagely made double stack now a days...they relized a few years ago that nobody wanted the singel stacks......anyhow it is going to be your best investment BY FAR for your price range and cost of ammo to go with a WASR hi cap...best choice to meet your needs.......I build AR's like buying candy and I can't seem to get them completed for much if ANY less than 600...if I do it's due to a rare occasion purchase...not to mention cost of the AK ammo is considerably less that AR.....I say for you...AK all the way....and I've never paid more than $400 for one...and at this point wouldn't be willing to either

i know you can get double stack ones i just have never seen one yet, other than online, but i have to figure out how all that transferring stuff works in order to make that worth it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i know you can get double stack ones i just have never seen one yet, other than online, but i have to figure out how all that transferring stuff works in order to make that worth it.

the single stacks are harder to find than doubles IMO...simply because nobody wants them.......if there is a gunshop anywhere near you they will be able to get one for you.....you can also find them fairly often on Armslist.com which are local ads so you can just go make a private transaction..no transfer needed.............otherwise, pick the one you want online give them you local transfer dealer's contact information to have them contact the shop, they will verify their FFL and mail it to them, when it comes in they will contact you and you can go pick up your gun....they usually charge $20-$35 for transfers so they make a little something on it....if you live anywhere near plainfield you can get them done for $10.....I won't pay over $20 for any gun personally

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Sorry for the stupid question, and the minor thread jack, but what does WASR stand for? I know it's an AK, but what's the distinction?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Sorry for the stupid question, and the minor thread jack, but what does WASR stand for? I know it's an AK, but what's the distinction?

I'm not an AK expert....but to the best of my knowledge WASR doesn't actually "stand" for anything....it's just the current production model......as with anythin which is produced any of the slightest change in design requires a change to the model in some fashion....that being said it is probably only slightly altered from say the SAR-1's which were common before the WASR's......which are manufactured with single stack mag wells and milled out when they arrive here in the states to accept hi caps whereas the SAR-1's were all manufactured to accept hi-caps...so that could probably be the difference for the model change

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Wassenaar
    Arrangement
    Semi-automatic
    Rifle

One of the first import examples

110208_18411.jpg