• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Have you wondered how far a bullet might travel inside your home or apartment?
    What round is best for home protection? Or whether hollow points are better than ball ammo when passing through walls and clothing?

I’ve visited the following site many times and have enjoyed the diverse write-ups offered by the author. He has tested a multitude of ammo types by firing them through all types of materials (walls, boards, cars, windshields, etc.). It’s located at:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/

INGO member Techres and I decided we wanted to conduct some penetration tests along the same vein at the original Box-O-Truth. We wanted to try some of those tests ourselves and share the results with our fellow INGOers. Thus the INGO Box-O-Truth was born. We don’t intend to copy everything from the original Box-O-Truth site, but we did borrow some of his designs for the box.

Besides, shooting stuff with lots of different guns sounded like fun and it’s a shallow attempt to convince our wives that we’re conducting ‘science.’ Otherwise they might think we just enjoy shooting and blowing stuff up!

I took the assignment to build the INGO Box-O-Truth! In my typical engineer/over-designed fashion, I built a ‘sturdy’ box for our tests. It’s designed to hold up to 18 sheets of drywall or plywood. It also can hold 3 boards up to 1.5” thick each. It also has a channel that will hold 12 one-gallon water jugs.

I set the box on stands next to a dirt wall on our property.

314xlzt.jpg

The boards fit into notches within the box.

2py41p0.jpg

I cut a bunch of drywall pieces for the testing. I’ve got ½” material (common in residences) and 5/8” drywall (common in apartments and commercial buildings).

2yy2yrc.jpg

One place we’re going to be short on is gallon jugs. Techres is bring some more on Saturday for the testing. I may have to put out a plea to nearby INGOers to save some jugs for us. They will go fast! (CoyoteCreekGuns has kids..yea!)

2wnpjlf.jpg

So, keep an eye out for an AAR from our first day of playing…err…testing!

Hopefully, this won’t be just one day of testing. There are so many things that need to be shot!

Last edited:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'll start saving my gallon milk jugs if I can come and play too. I should have quite a number in 30 days time.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I'll save jugs and donate some ammo; I'm interested in seeing how this goes!

I have some Agulia frangible rounds for 9mm and .45 ACP that are not made any longer, I wanna see if those and Corbons really asplode when hitting walls.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Awesome!!!:rockwoot: Now we are getting somewhere. You sir are huge asset to our community in my opinion! :cheers:
    Can't wait to see your reports and Photo's
    I would be willing to Volunteer some Shottie's and different types of Ammo for some testing here in the near future.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Agreed 100%. Its contributions like this that make INGO what it is. :yesway::yesway::yesway::ingo:

Awesome!!!:rockwoot: Now we are getting somewhere. You sir are huge asset to our community in my opinion! :cheers:
    Can't wait to see your reports and Photo's
    I would be willing to Volunteer some Shottie's and different types of Ammo for some testing here in the near future.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The van is partially loaded and prepping to go:

4712480817_c82ecd0fc2.jpg

Much more to do and gather.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    ...or maybe just some youtube video of the action...

Oh, there will be video.

4712718703_ccb50c1ac6.jpg

Except no hat other than an INGO one on this day. This is 100% INGO baby!

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Very awesome! It's cool that you are doing this, and even cooler that you are sharing it with us.

I am also in favor of an equipment review/ range report subform. There's not a lot of those threads, but creating that subforum might encourage more contribution.

Top Bottom